Just wanted to say Hi!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Knighton

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into the hobby of building rockets. I built a couple when I was 12 or so, but never got to launch them :(

A few weeks back, I realized that while I enjoy my other hobby (5th and 11th Century reenactment), I needed something more. Since I'm kind of stuck with my job, I figured maybe a new hobby would do it. When my wife dragged me to Hobby Lobby one day, I decided to check out what all my options were. When I got to the rockets, I was once again captivated. I began to have visions of designing and building from scratch. Launching rockets that soared for miles into the air. I saw the possiblity of using and acquiring knowledge that I had never used or thought about before.

At that time I decided to buy a starter kit within the next couple of weeks (money was a bit tight at the moment) and start researching on the internet. That led me here. I thought about just doing it on my own, but that's probably not the best way.

I look forward to getting to know you all!!! ;)

Welcome! Glad you could join us. I know you will love it here!

Tom,

One of the great things about rocketry is that you really don't need to be a rocket scientist in order to successfully build and fly your own designs. However, it does help to get a little experience under your belt first. You've got the right idea. Get a starter kit. Then develop your building skills with kits that are a bit more interesting and fun (Deuce's Wild, etc.): https://www.fliskits.com. When your ready, get yourself a copy of either RockSim or SpaceCAD (rocket design software) and start designing your own.

welcome! (man, we have a lot of new "welcome" threads going ... this is a good thing :) )

You have bought some rocketry stuff. *that* in itself is a "good start" :)

Enjoy, explore, ask question and feel free to jump right in to *answer* a question, everybody has something to contribute!

jim

Well I don't have anything yet, my wife thought food was more important than rockets for some odd reason ;), but that will be fixed shortly. However, I built some in the past, though they are all destroyed now unfortunately. It was almost 20 years ago, and they just got abused to badly.

However, I look forward to building and launching. I can't wait to see my 3 year olds face when Daddy sends a rocket into the sky :D

Tom

Originally posted by Tom Knighton
When my wife dragged me to Hobby Lobby one day, I decided to check out what all my options were. When I got to the rockets, I was once again captivated. I began to have visions of designing and building from scratch. Launching rockets that soared for miles into the air. I saw the possiblity of using and acquiring knowledge that I had never used or thought about before.

Man, your wife has no idea what she's gotten you into!

Welcome to the world of The Most Fun You Can Have Without Your Wife Getting Mad! Your childhood memories of building will all come flooding back every time you walk down that aisle, and every time you open up a kit, and every time you start building, etc. In my first 2 months of rocketry, I built 9 kits, plus 2 scratchbuilts (only one of which actually flew since I didn't understand the aerodynamics of rocketry well enough yet). I've since slowed down my production line, but I've learned to enjoy the process and the fine detail more.

You will hopefully enjoy your new hobby, and your wife will enjoy your participation as well. And you never know, she might get into it too! We DO have a few women in this hobby, and even a few in this forum.

As always, any questions you have, shout 'em out, and somebody'll give you a good answer. You'll get some humorous ones, too, but you'll get good info from some of the best in the rocketry community.

WW

Well I don't have anything yet, my wife thought food was more important than rockets for some odd reason ;), but that will be fixed shortly. However, I built some in the past, though they are all destroyed now unfortunately. It was almost 20 years ago, and they just got abused to badly.

However, I look forward to building and launching. I can't wait to see my 3 year olds face when Daddy sends a rocket into the sky :D

Tom

And that's a GREAT way to get started. Tell her it's for the kid!

My dad introduced me to model railroading by buying a set for me. Uh huh. I was 14 months old at the time.

Welcome aboard and welcome back.

We are glad you have re-joined the hobby, Tom.
A LOT has changed in 20 years, I know I sure was surprised at some things when I got re-started.
You will find that all those supplies you probably used to order from "one company" are no longer available-----that company seems to have gone over to purely toy manufacturing, and does not list nearly the assortment of components in its catalogs anymore.
The good (great?) news is that there are now MANY new little companies that have filled in the gap. Rather than bewilder you with lists of names right now, let me just invite you to jump in here on TRF any old time and ask for advice on 'the best way to . . ' or questions about 'where do I . . '
You will likely get more help than you know what to do with

Well I don't have anything yet, my wife thought food was more important than rockets for some odd reason ;)

...she's wrong.
:D

welcome!

I have noticed a whole lot more suppliers out there now than there were many moons ago. The way I look at it, it means that there is more variety ;)

Also, 20 years ago I didn't know anything about anyone building from scratch....but I saw one person lauch a rocket and wanted to build them after that. Since there wasn't any internet back then, I didn't have any clue what else people did with rockets.

Now I get to annoy my wife with the mantra "I'm gonna build a rocket" :D

Tom

Hi Tom,
Welcome aboard.
You have definately picked an exciting and fun hobby.
There is so much more now than there ever used to be.
Sometimes when I am ready for a new kit and I start looking around at whats out there, I feel like a kid in a candy store.
I am sure you will love this hobby and this forum as well.

Back