Just something thats been buggin me

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
umm... well i was watchin that show on the LDRS and i noticed they do some of there countowns starting at 10

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

ok thats all fine and dandy but arent you not supposed to say five cause it sounds too much like fire? thats just something i picked up researching some military thing...

10-9-8-7-6-pause-4-3-2-1

there ya go...

had to get that off my chest...

Naaah... we don't use the word "fire" in rocketry to mean that we're pushing the button... well, some might, but it's not like we're on an artillery range or anything :D

The one time that I did hear someone do it, they counted down:

10-9-8-7-6-6-4-3- et al.

So yeah. It happens. But not very often :p

I remember an old Estes publication that said you *never* say "fire" to launch a rocket. You say "lift off" or "launch". You reserve "fire" for *fires*...

That came to a head one time we had a launch and someone said "Fire!" and we're all lookingup as the grass fire spread and spread, and spread....

ick

:)

well i was watchin that show on the LDRS and i noticed they do some of there countowns starting at 10

Just for the record ...

First TV / Discovery Channel in many cases did not even use the countdown for some of the actual launch that appeaered on the show. For dramatic effect, they dubbed-in what they wanted the viewers to hear. At KloudBusters launches, 10 counts are generally used only for complex projects or Level 3 cert flights. We usually just use a 5-count or a 3-count. After announcing the details of the rocket it goes something like, "Launching rabidsheeep's Nike Smoke in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1". No need for anything else, the result is pretty obvious.

Also, if a range fire starts, a call is made for range personnel to immediately man the fire wagon.

Thanks, --Lance.
KLOUDBusters

Rabid:
We in model rocketry start the count down at five: 5,4,3, 2, 1, START! not: fire, ignition, Launch, Go or any of the other things I'm sure you've heard uttered by countless launch officers at the range head.
Start is the universal term used world wide, recognized by some 37 countries as the word to indicate the begining of a rocket flight in both professional and hobby rocketry. Generally a 10 second count down is only done for special effects Mod-Roc Scale lift-offs. Can't say why they do it in HPR.

A ten count always builds the suspense on a big rocket:D

It also gets people's attention, because when they hear the ten-count they know something cool's going to happen in 10 seconds;)

I've heard of this pause for five instead of saying five. I think it was on Junkyard wars where they made cannons. When they fired them they started with the 10 count, but paused at five because it sounds like fire. I think its a British thing.:D
Ok you Brits, let me have it.;)
Larry

fire isnt usually used in rocketry so usually my club goes 5-4-3-2-1 unless its something big. Fire is usually used for firing things like guns or cannons

Back