Just Received Email from 1969!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM1975

Upscalien
Reaction score
Got this today. I know it has to be some kinda glitch or something but was funny anyways...

fed273c6.jpg

Or maybe it's from the future... 2069. Maybe the 107 year old me is trying to contact myself???

:D

Some theories suggest time travel is possible for energy but that it can't convey information in the process... your blank email from the past with no content would tend to confirm this...

Some theories suggest time travel is possible for energy but that it can't convey information in the process... your blank email from the past with no content would tend to confirm this...

Does this mean I get the Nobel Prize? I mean come on, Obama got one for nothing! Why can't I get one for this? ;)

Just a joke... Not trying to be political at all.

Most email servers and clients use a date/time format which is recorded as the number of seconds since 12/31/1969. So, if an email doesn't have the time in the header or the time is in an undecipherable format, then a value of zero is used. The zero value represents 12/31/1969.

-- Roger

Most email servers and clients use a date/time format which is recorded as the number of seconds since 12/31/1969. So, if an email doesn't have the time in the header or the time is in an undecipherable format, then a value of zero is used. The zero value represents 12/31/1969.

-- Roger

There you go crushing my dreams... :)

-- Roger

So why that date? Does that date somehow coincide with the commisioning of the ARPANET?

That is great. I think you might want to avoid opening that one.

That is great. I think you might want to avoid opening that one.

But the suspense!!! Maybe it is another Nigerian millionaire? Granted last time things fell through, but maybe this time it will work out????

So, Those of you who were alive 12/31/69 where were you?
I was in my home in my bed, sleeping, awaiting for 1970 and the first Earth Day!

I was in my home in my bed, sleeping, awaiting for 1970 and the first Earth Day!

I can't remember. I don't remember much from back then. Only thing I am sure of, I was probably very hungry....
:wink:

I was 2 months to so from getting into this hobby, for real, when K-Mart started carrying MPC rockets (Having read Stine's Handbook in the school library months before)

I vaguely remember something called "first grade" but the only thing that stands out in my memory is being glued to the TV for any Apollo coverage I could find.

I was in MCRD San Diego taking a thirteen week course on how to become a Marine. I remember that time in my life quite well..... We didn't have access to the internet either.

I was in MCRD San Diego taking a thirteen week course on how to become a Marine. I remember that time in my life quite well..... We didn't have access to the internet either.

I was there too, but not until 1993. I still remember EVERYTHING from being there, and I have lost a fair amount of my memory too, but not that.

This is interesting. I think I got into rocketry a year or two after the default date of the email. 'Twas a great time to be a kid, at least for me.

Greg

So why that date? Does that date somehow coincide with the commisioning of the ARPANET?

It's based on when Unix was created.

"The earliest versions of Unix time had a 32-bit integer incrementing at a rate of 60 Hz, which was the rate of the system clock on the hardware of the early Unix systems. The value 60 Hz still appears in some software interfaces as a result. The epoch also differed from the current value. The first edition Unix Programmer's Manual dated 3 November 1971 defines the Unix time as 'the time since 00:00:00, January 1, 1971, measured in sixtieths of a second.'
"The User Manual also commented that 'the chronologically-minded user will note that 232 sixtieths of a second is only about 2.5 years.' Because of this limited range, the epoch was redefined more than once, before the rate was changed to 1 Hz and the epoch was set to its present value. This yielded a range in excess of 130 years, though with more than half the range in the past (see discussion of signedness above)." -- Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

-- Roger

Had just started school (I was 6) but during any spare time I was glued to the ole' B&W T.V. watching any kind of NASA coverage.

It's based on when Unix was created.

"The earliest versions of Unix time had a 32-bit integer incrementing at a rate of 60 Hz, which was the rate of the system clock on the hardware of the early Unix systems. The value 60 Hz still appears in some software interfaces as a result. The epoch also differed from the current value. The first edition Unix Programmer's Manual dated 3 November 1971 defines the Unix time as 'the time since 00:00:00, January 1, 1971, measured in sixtieths of a second.'
"The User Manual also commented that 'the chronologically-minded user will note that 232 sixtieths of a second is only about 2.5 years.' Because of this limited range, the epoch was redefined more than once, before the rate was changed to 1 Hz and the epoch was set to its present value. This yielded a range in excess of 130 years, though with more than half the range in the past (see discussion of signedness above)." -- Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

-- Roger
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not the most computer literate person around; I know Apple IIs inside and out, but thats pretty much it. Windows just makes me mad.

The convention of storing time values as the number of seconds since Jan 1, 1970 is a Unix thing, not a mail client/server thing.

An E-Mail from the past? Looks like Schrödinger's cat is screwed no matter how it works(ed) out.

Vague memories of 1969 but I'm pretty sure I couldn't have cared less about Earthday. A more likely concern was which Jonny Quest rerun was going to be on next Saturday or What the Banana Splits would be up to. Drooper just cracked me up.

Lets see - Dec.1969 I was at Keesler AFB in tech school. Damn, that was a whole lifetime ago!!!

Back