Just popping in...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
to say Hi and see how everyone is doing? I've been busy working from home and working on rockets when I can? It seems I'm more busy painting my friend's RC planes then my own rockets. Looking to buying another pinball machine soon. Just haven't found the right price. It seems working on rockets, playing pinball and walking my dog has kept my sanity.

My PML Spitfire kit is not being cooperative. It's fighting me on the orange and black paint scheme. Paint went on bad so did the clear. Had issues sanding the clear and the paint. Un even sanding lead to blotches on the surface even with a sanding sponge.

I'm done. Think I will repaint the standard red and silver color scheme and start over. Wish me luck! I'll need it. Ugh the dreaded sanding again and again! Oh well not going to be launching for awhile. I might take a couple weeks off from work so I can just knock it out.

Hey do most of sand all the way down when repainting or do you just wet sand the finish with say 600 to ruff it up and primer and paint?

Last edited:
Do you collect pinball machines? I used to play them years ago, but not recently.
I'm not much of a collector, but looking for my second game. I thought about taking the time to work on them, but not sure I have the time or patience. I'm more of a player than collector. There's a few games I would like to get.

The 1966 Batman one looks nice, but I can't justify $9,000 for one. Holy highway robbery!

Hey do most of sand all the way down when repainting or do you just wet sand the finish with say 600 to ruff it up and primer and paint?
I've only done it once. My goal was to sand down to the primer, but eventually I just burned out and stopped while there was still paint in most places, but it was all completely smoothed out from the sanding. I did re-prime. New top coat came out great.

After sanding (dark gray was old paint color, not primer)
1610667633793.png

After new top coat:
1610667824837.png
This was with Rusto 2x paints, your fave.

I've only done it once. My goal was to sand down to the primer, but eventually I just burned out and stopped while there was still paint in most places, but it was all completely smoothed out from the sanding. I did re-prime. New top coat came out great.

After sanding (dark gray was old paint color, not primer)
View attachment 446445

After new top coat:
View attachment 446447
This was with Rusto 2x paints, your fave.
LOL you know I don't like Rusto. I told my friend he can have my Spitfire if I don't sell it on here. I'm sick of working on it. $75 and all it needs is wet sanding and clear just I'm sick of screwing with it

Last edited:
Good to see you're still kicking in AfterBurners (pun intended)

Sorry you're having such problems with the paint. I hope you can get it all sorted out to your satisfaction (Don't burn out ;) )

I'm not much of a collector, but looking for my second game. I thought about taking the time to work on them, but not sure I have the time or patience. I'm more of a player than collector. There's a few games I would like to get.
If you ever do go that route, please share some pics. I love seeing the insides of those machines and the repair threads are always really interesting, super cool stuff!

If you ever do go that route, please share some pics. I love seeing the insides of those machines and the repair threads are always really interesting, super cool stuff!
I can post some pictures later.

This is the next game I would like to purchase if I can find it for the right price. It's valued at around $1000-1300 depending on the condition, but I've seen them go for a lot more! I just don't waste my time. Great information on the game. There were some that were released with a "x" rated back glass so Bally came out with a "Stars" back glass to try and cover up certain "things"...so if you look close you can what I'm talking about.

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=capt+fantastic&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#438

Back