Just met my first local TRFer...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Over the last few weeks, I've been talking via PM and Email with a fellow TRFer living about 15 miles from me, and tonight we had a get together down at the mall to talk shop.

He brought along a huge binder of images showing various rockets he, his children and others have flown from small stuff to large HPR - which totally blew me away - having only flown a few D's myself. He even showed me the plans for a large Bomarc he's building. Amongst the pics that he showed was my all-time favorite rocket - the Terrier-Sandhawk - which this one was nearly 12 feet tall. Talk about impressive ...WOW !! I was drooling..

This gent is also working on a Saturn 1B right now that is just gonna rock, and he's L2 certed, into EX motors, knows how to do electronics and fiberglassing.

This is perfect because I finally have someone locally whom I could learn from, and by the looks of his photos and data - this is one serious rocketeer. Most importantly, just to have someone to talk to locally makes this hobby even better.

Honestly though, it was an absolute blast to meet him and his son, who is heavily into the hobby as well, and when I showed them my Little Joe 2, his 10 year old was tallying up the total newtons in his head for the cluster. Very impressive.

By the way, I was able to show off the finished tower and Middle Support Structure of the Little Joe complex - with the rocket in place, and it was cool to have the hobby store owner, employee and a few other customers remark at just how good it looked. Talk about beaming with pride..my head wouldn't fit through the door to leave. lol

Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you to DumasBro2 and his son for spending a little time sharing their love for this hobby we all adore.

Its moments like these that really make this hobby worthwhile.

Cheers,

Now there is a great coincidence.

Today Dr. Dynasoar and I met in person for the first time. We both work in healthcare, and are situated about 10 miles from each other

By the way Dr. Dynasoar is a real dyed in the wool PhD.

Had a nice lunch conversation, shared some ideas and began out plot to take over the world. All in all a very satisfying Friday.

shared some ideas and began out plot to take over the world. All in all a very satisfying Friday.

So, Brain, waddawe gonna do tomorrow night?

Gawd I miss that show!

Ya gotta love this forum, member Gus lives about 1/2 mile from my daughter's house so he drives me to the club meetings. Had coffee with Missleman and his wife, missleman and his daughter...that would be MissleDaughter even came up to my house to pick up some nose cones.

I seem to recall when I joined there were only like 250 members!

sandman

Less than that Gordy. You were here before me...and I think I was member #250.

It's always Cool to meet Forum members in person...I just wish I could do it more often:D

Silverleaf, we had a great time. Seeing the Little Joe II and the pad in person was most impressive. To have someone local to talk to is super. I’m already looking forward to the next time. Gotta run.

Later,

Steve

The local Tampa, FL, TRF crew is awesome - Jetra2, Russ2p, Lets Fly High, ChrisVG, OccamMD, Zippy...hmm, who else? We are mostly bound by rocketry but otherwise we make great company. The unfortunate downside to our TRF crew is that we just lost our flying field and are currently trying to find another place to call home.

Of course, getting to meet all of the N. Carolina (Whitakers) group has always been a pleasure. TRF is a great place. I'm sure a lot more than rocket buddies are found here.

i met malestorm at a launch today. i bought a a d12 -3 motor from him

It was through TRF that LaneKG invited me to join SEARS572 for my first club launch. I had a great time and joined the club. Greg saw my location was close to his and sent me a PM with a welcome and invitation. In no other hobby have I met people more friendly and helpful. Thanks TRF!

Keith

Originally posted by revkeith
It was through TRF that LaneKG invited me to join SEARS572 for my first club launch. I had a great time and joined the club. Greg saw my location was close to his and sent me a PM with a welcome and invitation. In no other hobby have I met people more friendly and helpful. Thanks TRF!

Keith

It was through TRF that I ended up going to SEARS572 to join Greg and Keith for a day of rocketry! :)

LOL...this is soon gonna become one of those "7 degrees of separation" games. Jim Flis would probably be a good anchor. :D

With the Tour de Deuce I know I will meet many more TRFers. Or should I say, with TRF the Tour de Deuce will meet many more rocketeers?! :confused: :eek: ;)

I met Damage recently too, nice guy!

I was having trouble with the trim on my VMX-2 so Gary, who helps kit them, introduced me to the designer who flies with the club. They worked their magic, and I put her up on a C for a beautiful glide down! Thanks!

Yep...been great around here too meeting up with TRFers. Happened to find out that Stones and I live in the same town and we get out anytime the weather's okay to put a few birds up in the air. Now, Dave of Sirius Rocketry pops in from time to time as well. Great times!

Latest posts

Back