Just How Loud is a Rocket Motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a reliable source for sound levels of the various commercially available motors? We have been requested to keep the volume down at our launches. Some of the EJ and a few of the F's really kick up a racket as they fly. So we are trying to figure out which motors we can get away with.

Well I think white lightning's are out of the question , you might be able to get away with Econojet BlackMax motors , realy any BlackMax , Smokey Sam , type motors.
-Karl

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Does anybody know of a reliable source for sound levels of the various commercially available motors? We have been requested to keep the volume down at our launches. Some of the EJ and a few of the F's really kick up a racket as they fly. So we are trying to figure out which motors we can get away with.

Don't remind to forget me, and I'll bring an SPL meter to the next launch. If sound on the ground is a problem, I bet I could come up with a real cheap and dirty sound baffle.

Back