Just getting back into Model Rockets!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just getting back into Model Rockets. My name is Michael, an Electronics technician living in Temecula,CA.
I just built two over the holidays a Boyce Aerospace Nike Hercules and an Estes Nike Smoke. I have a few others, a Black Brant, Bull Pup , AMRAAM and an Estes Mk104 from twenty three years ago.

I am looking for some place to fly them! Anybody know of a good area around Riverside County?

Thanks everyone!
TechMichael

Attachments

• IMG_1888 2.JPG
    IMG_1888 2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Welcome, I used to live in Riverside county. But that was 60 years ago. Love to see the Herc, I just built one this weekend also.

Hello everyone, just getting back into Model Rockets. My name is Michael, an Electronics technician living in Temecula,CA.
I just built two over the holidays a Boyce Aerospace Nike Hercules and an Estes Nike Smoke. I have a few others, a Black Brant, Bull Pup , AMRAAM and an Estes Mk104 from twenty three years ago.

I am looking for some place to fly them! Anybody know of a good area around Riverside County?

Thanks everyone!
TechMichael
Hey!

I don’t know of anything in the Riverside area, but you’re welcome at DART’s field at Fiesta Island, near Mission Bay in San Diego. That’s my home field.

You could also travel north to fly with the Rocketry Organization of California in San Bernardino County, Lucerne Dry Lake to be specific. They have a beautiful, enormous site with a much higher ceiling.

Other clubs exist off to the northwest, I’m just not as familiar with them. Give them a call and try to drop in at a launch if you’d like.

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-map-locator/

Thanks Everyone!
David: Nice, mine is a 1/24th scale I bought on Boyce's E-bay site. I tried to get it to look as close to the real thing as possible. I remember growing up in LA, there were three Nike Hercules batteries in the San Fernando Valley. I remember seeing the real ones during the cold war era. One in Chatsworth, Mt Gleason and one in the Sepulveda Basin for a short time.

smstachwick(Shane): Thank you for you invitation and your helpful information. I looked on the Fiesta Island San Diego meet, and I just may end up going there. Sunday , December 31.

It's a bit of a drive for me but I'd like to fly them.

Happy Holidays !
Michael

smstachwick(Shane): Thank you for you invitation and your helpful information. I looked on the Fiesta Island San Diego meet, and I just may end up going there. Sunday , December 31.

It's a bit of a drive for me but I'd like to fly them.

Happy Holidays !
Michael

And you as well! Flying with DART is pretty simple, just be mindful of our 1000 ft ceiling and use the dog barf we provide instead of the Estes TP wadding. Spectating and flying are both free, and open to the public. Lots of people just stumble onto our site not knowing we’re there and come visit for a while.

Flight ops start after the conclusion of the safety meeting at 8AM, best conditions are generally prior to 10AM. Range closes at noon.

Welcome, Michael. Nice looking rockets!

We love pics, so post away.

Being an electronics tech, you may want to dig into Eggtimer’s website. They have some great rocketry electronics kits.

Fun fact: the grain silo in David’s photo above is actually a flying rocket.

Welcome, Michael. Nice looking rockets!

We love pics, so post away.

Being an electronics tech, you may want to dig into Eggtimer’s website. They have some great rocketry electronics kits.

Fun fact: the grain silo in David’s photo above is actually a flying rocket.
Thank you tsmith1315, Happy Holidays.
I will checkout Eggtimers electronics page. I am interested to see what's on there!

Hey Tim, you are correct, although the one in the pic is new, built a mini one. it has a 29mmt. The one you are referring to is over by the freezer and has a 54mmt. Looking forward to trying the new mini.

Here a some better pictures of my fleet!
Most of them are Estes products with the Boyce Aerospace Nike Hercules.The AMRAAM has never flown but the Bull Pup and Mk109 have.
The three of them are over twenty years old. The Nike Smoke and Nike Hercules I recently built.
I bought those yellow Estes stands , and they look a lot better than just resting on their fins.
Anyways thanks to all of you and I will be back soon!
TechMichael

Attachments

• IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Thank you, when I was very young, I would put together Revell and Monogram kits of model airplanes. My father got upset one time when I put together an OV-10 Bronco Monogram model when I was about 8 years old. Although I build and repair electronics for a living, I think I learned at an early age to build things.

Michael

Welcome to the forum!

I just personally discovered a Nike Hercules on display near where I live. Very impressive to see the real deal.

Back