Just Found a Field to Test Rockets, What should I do next?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logic

Reaction score
Hi! Total beginner rocketeer here. I've recently began learning about rocketry and will soon be starting a rocketry club with a couple of friends. We live in New York and have been desperately looking for a field to be able to run monthly tests on our rockets. Thanks to a response in a recent post I made, we were able to find a field in upstate New York that allows for rocket launching. Now that we know of the field, what should we do moving forward to get started with building these rockets, especially as a team? We are all new to this so was wondering if there were any things we should know about before getting started. I plan on calling this launching field today to figure out what we need to do to be able to launch there. Thanks to those who reply.

Hi! Total beginner rocketeer here. I've recently began learning about rocketry and will soon be starting a rocketry club with a couple of friends. We live in New York and have been desperately looking for a field to be able to run monthly tests on our rockets. Thanks to a response in a recent post I made, we were able to find a field in upstate New York that allows for rocket launching. Now that we know of the field, what should we do moving forward to get started with building these rockets, especially as a team? We are all new to this so was wondering if there were any things we should know about before getting started. I plan on calling this launching field today to figure out what we need to do to be able to launch there. Thanks to those who reply.
So, I assume you are talking low power (G impulse and below), right? I would buy a kit and some commercial motors and start building according to the instructions. Once you start to get the concepts of booster, motor mount, motor retention, CP, CG, motor ejection, etc., try a scratch build.

AC Supply Company is a great place to buy Estes rockets.

Just my two cents.

Get your buddies together for a build day and have all of you buy the same rocket and sit around the table and put them together so that you can go out and launch it together...After getting permission from the landowner to do so.

So, I assume you are talking low power (G impulse and below), right? I would buy a kit and some commercial motors and start building according to the instructions. Once you start to get the concepts of booster, motor mount, motor retention, CP, CG, motor ejection, etc., try a scratch build.

AC Supply Company is a great place to buy Estes rockets.

Just my two cents.
Get your buddies together for a build day and have all of you buy the same rocket and sit around the table and put them together so that you can go out and launch it together...After getting permission from the landowner to do so.
Thank you both for these ideas! I'll definitely buy some kits and host a build day so we can all get the basics of building a robot down. I honestly didn't think of us all doing it together before so thanks again for the idea

What are you trying to do in rocketry? This sounds like a silly question, but there’s a lot of different paths that people take in this hobby and so there’s lots of different routes.

There’s a lot of learning to be done in low and mid power. If you are really enjoying yourselves, consider starting a TARC team next year. If you are planning on making your own motors, please contact a local Tripoli club and ask for help finding a mentor. Please do not just mix off of YouTube videos. That’s like learning to drive from YouTube.

Good luck!

Model Rocketry was figuring out how to build rockets. I might not suggest cheating and getting the best info from here. Spoils the fun. Finding parts locally is fun to. Repurposing simple hardware store strings as shock cords for example. Mylar, or caution tape as streamer material.

Just wear disposable gloves, and be mindful of dust. Gloves seem wasteful, but you can reuse them once the epoxy on them dries.

Build only a few at a time, so you can see your technique evolve. Don't get into ''clone army'' mode. I build multiples so I'm not bummed when one gets stuck in a tree, and to save costs of glues and paint. Which won't last once opened.

And downsize your chutes or switch to streamers as needed. Many LPR kits float too much.

I grew up in Upstate NY (Adirondacks) and had fields and “trees” to deal with.

Resources mentioned above are great.

My 3.5 cents- (In no order)

1. Get family and friends involved. It’s a great hobby and 45 years later am gettjng back into it

2. Start with basic kits-and use low power engines- 1/2A- A series., maybe recommend a “tumbler or glider recovery kit with no chute

3. Winters can have a nice crisp sky with white snow- Launch with intent of high altitude and be cautious of ice at high altitudes 1200-1800ft. “I didn’t realize it was windy - 15-17 years old and wanted to launch (But beautiful launches with bright chutes- just never learned my lesson

4. Safety is important- don’t try to modify kits unless you understand center of gravity, etc. The flights are or can be unpredictable

5. slowly work your way up as you become more familiar with them. single stage, 2-3 stage, chute and streamer recovery systems, etc. - And try variety of kits. all unique

6. Make sure you have permission on the field(s) you are flying in and any neighboring ones if winds carry a long way (I lose 95% of my kits). “my bust- but fun)

Have fun Record-learn and get others involved.

Good luck. I have missed flying these, and now lookjng for clubs in my area in SC and also get Model Rocketry into local school STEM programs. I just joined this group and ¯\◔ー◔/¯ for ideas from others as i am more focused on bulding older clone kits from my youth.

define "New York".. can you be more specific to your location?

Have you looked to see if there is a sanctioned club near you? There are two in Vermont (NAR), one north of Burlington (If you are in Plattsburg) which is my club. The other is near Rutland. There are two in the 'finger lakes' area too, just south of Syracuse, plus many more.. Try to get to one of their launches, and see about finding a mentor.. it's easier to ask / show / point to actual parts & such in your hands, than to type on a screen..

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/lots in NY state

https://tripoli.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=225&club_id=795696&mt=None

Don't forget METRA, which is in NY, which launches near Pine Island NY. Not sure where the Original Poster is located in NY, but if it's anywhere near Orange, Rockland or Duchess counties, Metra is already doing launches once a month -- Next one should be Sept. 3

define "New York".. can you be more specific to your location?

Have you looked to see if there is a sanctioned club near you? There are two in Vermont (NAR), one north of Burlington (If you are in Plattsburg) which is my club. The other is near Rutland. There are two in the 'finger lakes' area too, just south of Syracuse, plus many more.. Try to get to one of their launches, and see about finding a mentor.. it's easier to ask / show / point to actual parts & such in your hands, than to type on a screen..

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/lots in NY state

https://tripoli.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=225&club_id=795696&mt=None
plattsburgh- Born there and grew up in ASF. Now live in South Carolina.

Do you have the info on the club? I fly back to visit family now and then and would like to know more about the club.

There are (were) a Lot of big fields in Peru area and HS friend of mine dad let me launch a few times on his fields. (still lost them to high altitudes). this was late 70s. but most part successfully

And your right when say “define NY”. most can’t get past the city or 50 miles outside or it. 🤣.

Hope to head up for fall.

plattsburgh- Born there and grew up in ASF. Now live in South Carolina.

Do you have the info on the club? I fly back to visit family now and then and would like to know more about the club.

There are (were) a Lot of big fields in Peru area and HS friend of mine dad let me launch a few times on his fields. (still lost them to high altitudes). this was late 70s. but most part successfully

And your right when say “define NY”. most can’t get past the city or 50 miles outside or it. 🤣.

Hope to head up for fall.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/332681198377/
we had a great Saturday! even had some air cadets / air national guard students..

We are just outside the town of St. Alban's VT and fly every 3rd Saturday.. 10k feet, and up to M impulse.. what else would like to know?!

Back