Just for Kicks, What's the heaviest Micro you've flown to Date?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at the 1/288th Saturn-1B it sort of hit me I haven't even looked at the overall mass of this model.

I'm sure many have found micros over say 19grams can't get out of their own way. I have 21gram micro Skydart that just will not make it off a 12" rod.
But Clusters are another matter. So Maxer's What's your heaviest micro powered model? That is models powered ONLY by Micro Maxx motors.

Looking at the 1/288th Saturn-1B it sort of hit me I haven't even looked at the overall mass of this model.

I'm sure many have found micros over say 19grams can't get out of their own way. I have 21gram micro Skydart that just will not make it off a 12" rod.
But Clusters are another matter. So Maxer's What's your heaviest micro powered model? That is models powered ONLY by Micro Maxx motors.

My heaviest sucessful MMX flight was about 15g. I had a 22g model that did not make it off a 24" launch rod.

The nod would have to go to my BT-5 based Micro Big Bertha.

Coming in at 9.9 grams. Low and slow replicated in micro scale.

Micro Big Bertha.JPG

Youse guys have me beat...all mine do...er...fly. I have an 18g paper model of a dirigible. At 2.25" in diameter, it gets to about 4' IIRC. Next heaviest is a 15g Sputnik style rocket made from a plastic shoe deodorizer that looks like a basketball. Finally, my MicroBomarc comes in at 14.5g.

Well actually the heaviest all micro powered cluster I have is a 180th Scale XB-70 Valkerie in-line 6 motor MMX-II Cluster. on the pad she is just at 100grams. and gets all of about 10-15feet of altitude LOL...but it is exciting. 6" chute was to small, it flew with a 10".

To be honest Huge Blues; that's about the range we generally shoot for with most Micros somewhere between 6-10grams. You'll find anywhere in that mass range the models are really pretty decent flying machines.

I was really sort of looking for the heavier models. over 12grams and of coarse clustered models which can up the mass a good bit, particularly in models with larger OD's that make them more draggy.
I also have a 4 MMX motor BT-20 Night flying Ranger thats on the hefty side. and several T3 and T4 models that just have lots of outside girth and detailing. Was wondering if other have discovered this as well.

MM 337h-sm_XB-70 Valkyrie 180th Micro Cluster PMC_09-10-07.jpg

MM 337Lp01c_XB-70 Clear Rod LIFTOFF 6X clu_09-22-07.jpg

MM 337Lp01a2_6x MMX Cluster Valkyrie almost apogee_09-22-07.jpg

MM 337h2-sm_XB-70 6 motorcluster Wired for 1st flt_09-18-07.jpg

Last edited:
The heaviest one i have flown is the Dead Ringer from Flis. but im still a noobie to MMX to :)

Not sure what the weights would be, but the two most impulse challenged MMX flights I've ever witnessed were:

1--A guy trying to get a qualified flight in on our NAR 1/8A-BG contest, brought along his regular scale Edmunds Deltie (not the 1/4A micro, the regular 13mm version). Barely cleared the rod, had to DQ him because it still hadn't quite left the pod by the time it fell the 5-6 feet back to the ground. Probably about 15g but awfully high drag...

2--A very talented young girl playing around at an NAR contest practicing her pilot skills on a radio controlled electric flyer, Parkzone Ember. On a whim, her dad talked her into trying to fit a MMX mount on it and fly it to set a record for 1/8A-RG (R/C), something no one had ever done in any age division. I think she removed the propeller, but that was about it, managed a flight time of about 5 seconds, just long enough to wiggle it proving R/C control. Had to be every bit of 20-25 grams plus motor.

I'm going to have to find and weigh it, but mine would be a BT-20 based micro downscale of the Richter Recker which I called the Bubble Burster.

Even in micro scale, that beast was 29.9" tall! LOL

I was thinking about it as a kit but it only got about 15 or so feet in the air (barely 5 times its only length LOL)

I'm going to have to find and weigh it, but mine would be a BT-20 based micro downscale of the Richter Recker which I called the Bubble Burster.

Even in micro scale, that beast was 29.9" tall! LOL

I was thinking about it as a kit but it only got about 15 or so feet in the air (barely 5 times its only length LOL)

How about a decaffinator on a mmx :)

On one motor or a cluster?

I was really tempted at first to say either my Quest RTF Space Shuttle or my RTF Space Fighter :dark: , but upon weighing them, they aren't even close.

For clusters, it would have to be my FlisKits Diminutive Deuce. (But hey, it uses 2 engines! And I have repaired it a couple of times and repainted it.) With the new paint job and with a 0.5" wide x 0.25" tall nylon washer that I installed as an ejection piston, it weighs just under 20 grams. That weight is without motors.

For a single Micromaxx II, it is a virtual dead heat between my FlisKits Tumble Weed (with adapter), my Quest RTF Saturn V, my ASP Micro Sandhawk, and a couple of scratch-builds: a "reel rocket" made from the reel from an ice fishing pole, and my Bic Stic Payloader. They are all at just about 10 grams in weight without motor. The Payloader is nearly twice the length of the typical Bic Stic rocket; it has a frosted clear payload section made from a Bic Stic Grip pen barrel. I flew it with a tiny 1.5" long cyalume light stick (used for fishing) in the payload compartment at dusk once. It has a somewhat upscaled version of the fin can designed by Art Applewhite. For purposes of this post, I weighed it without a motor but with a light stick.

The Reel Rocket is 1.625" in diameter. The reel is made from a solid piece of Delrin. Other parts of the rocket include a motor mount, an airframe, a nose cone, a small cardstock aerodynamic shroud and a taped-on launch lug. I wanted to make it so that I could completely disassemble the rocket and reassemble the reel in its original form. The nose cone is comprised of the reel's small plastic handle, plugged with a piece of 3/16" dowel. It sits atop a 3" BT-2.5 airframe to improve the stability margin. The conical shroud just slides over the airframe and down to the top of the reel. The reel has stub for the handle molded into one edge on one side; the stub is parallel to the axis of the reel. The plastic handle slips over it and is held on by friction. I constructed the launch lug by bonding a FlisKits micro launch lug to a short section of thin dowel (as a stand-off) and then bonded that to a standard 1/8" lug, and then slit the larger lug down the opposite side. I slip the larger lug over the handle stub and wrap it with a piece of masking tape to secure it.

The hole in the center of the reel is large enough to fit a Micromaxx motor (loosely) but is too small for the BT-2.5 to fit through. To prep the rocket, I detach the reel from its rod mount and pull the handle off of its stub. I wrap the nozzle end of a Micromaxx II motor with a few wraps of 0.25" wide masking tape to form a thrust ring, and then insert it through the center hole of the reel. I haven't decided yet whether it is better to have the handle stub/launch lug pointing aft or pointing forward. The direction is determined by which side of the reel I insert the motor through, and it causes the launch lug to be either above the reel or below it. At any rate, I wrap the forward end of the motor that protrudes out of the center hole with some more masking tape, and then friction-fit the airframe onto it. Then I slide the conical shroud down over the airframe tube until it's base is against the reel. I prepare the nose cone by sliding the reel's handle onto the 1.5" long dowel, and it is held in place via friction. The bottom 0.5" of the dowel is covered by a section of BT-2, which forms the nose cone shoulder. A 12" long piece of 28 lb. Kevlar thread is tied onto the dowel just above the shoulder; at the other end of the Kevlar shock cord, a small rubber band is tied on. I slip the rubber band on around the outside of the reel and then fit the nose cone on. The rocket recovers via nose-blow recovery. I attach the launch lug as previously described.

The Reel Rocket is tied with my MMX-adapted Tumble Weed and my RTF UFO for the most "majestic" boost. ;) Among these three, though, it is the lowest flier. It shoots off the pad but starts to slow dramatically just after it clears the launch rod, and then it slowly reaches an apogee of about 5 feet, where it hovers for almost a second before tumbling back down. It ejects the nose cone just after it starts to descend, and the recoil helps to induce even more tumbling. Despite the slow lift-off speed, it ascends straight up and it remains pointed straight up all the way to apogee.

The other three rockets are all decent fliers, with the ASP Micro Sandhawk being the performance champ. That rocket, in fact, flies really well and gets appreciable altitude. In its one flight so far, the Bic Stic Payloader exhibited a bit of coning as it coasted to apogee.

MarkII

Well actually the heaviest all micro powered cluster I have is a 180th Scale XB-70 Valkerie in-line 6 motor MMX-II Cluster. on the pad she is just at 100grams. and gets all of about 10-15feet of altitude LOL...but it is exciting. 6" chute was to small, it flew with a 10".

To be honest Huge Blues; that's about the range we generally shoot for with most Micros somewhere between 6-10grams. You'll find anywhere in that mass range the models are really pretty decent flying machines.

I was really sort of looking for the heavier models. over 12grams and of coarse clustered models which can up the mass a good bit, particularly in models with larger OD's that make them more draggy.
I also have a 4 MMX motor BT-20 Night flying Ranger thats on the hefty side. and several T3 and T4 models that just have lots of outside girth and detailing. Was wondering if other have discovered this as well.

100 grams!!!!:y: even my 13ft rocket is lighter than that!!! But wow that looks amazing; I have 2 questions ,one how did you manage to light all of those at once? I heard mmx clusters were a pain, and is that plastic? It looks like you took a museum display piece and ripped out the inturnals.....:p and that thing at 100 grams sounds underpowered for a mmx motor

Clusters are no problem for Micromeister. I should tell you that before he discovered Micromaxx, he was known as MrCluster. ;)

MarkII

I have read on another thread that when it comes to clustering mmx's there is micromeister and then there's the rest of us :) and isn't your email [email protected]?

I've had good success with clustering Micromaxx motors, too. But the most that I've done is three, not seven. It takes some planning, lots of patience, and a gentle touch. While there are several proven methods for igniting clusters, my usual method is to use clip whips. All of my Micromaxx cluster flights have used stripped QMX igniters. I haven't gotten around to trying one yet with the Q2s. Depending on the method you use, you might be able to get away with less of either patience or the gentle touch. You'll always need the planning part, though.

MarkII

Once they allow clusters for cert 1 flights I bet micromeister would leave the NAR for one year and come back with a rocket that clusters enough mmx to qualify as a h motor :D but that won't happen annythime soon....

For once, i get what you are meaning

It's kinda like putting an open button on a safe :D

Once they allow clusters for cert 1 flights I bet micromeister would leave the NAR for one year and come back with a rocket that clusters enough mmx to qualify as a h motor :D but that won't happen annythime soon....

Scrapdaddy:
First I am already level one certified tho I really never use it. Remember I'd rather cluster BP motors then use AP for anything;)

Second; Several of us have postulated the parameters of an H level Micro Maxx-II only powered "MODEL".
Conclusion: Like the MMX reload, frankly it's simple not economically fessible without getting into a lot of outside backer funding. Such a model would require a minimum of 1033 MMX-II motors, even at mass buy pricing we're talking over 400 bucks just for the motors.....In escence burning my entire Stock of MMX-II motors in one shot. Neah! that just isn't going to happen LOL!!!!
While 400 bucks is not all that much for the deep pocket HP flyers out there... my conservative (Read "Penny Pinching") side just would not let me indulge in such folly.

I think we should start another Thread for Clustered Micro Models, perhaps another on Staged Micro's and Micro gliders to get some dialogue, designs and pics going to spur on some new ideas.

Well if you think thats crazy to be Level THREE certified on MMX (please note this would not count on a certification fight) It would Take 32,768 of them!!!
And If you pay factory direct prices it would be $30K However if you were lucky and caught them on a 50% off sale it would be $15K! Now, iv designed a rocket
around this idea(not feasible but feel free to dream about) Now CWD always Brags about their laser cutter, now lets see them cut 32,768 holes for the centering ring on this puppy..........:D Hmmm Rocksim doesnt like this idea because i tried clustering 32,768 of the 6mm tubes and Rocksim Crashed :mad: Now Micromeister Can You tell us How we would light 32,768 motors simultaneously?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, who is this "CWD" that you keep mentioning?

MarkII

Actually, designing a flight with clustered MMX to qualify as an H powered flight IS something that I have been working on with the local TRA prefect. Right now we are bogged down in the propagation of the flame front in the flash pan.

Actually, designing a flight with clustered MMX to qualify as an H powered flight IS something that I have been working on with the local TRA prefect. Right now we are bogged down in the propagation of the flame front in the flash pan.

Exactly!
Precisely why I don't spend time on such musings. Perhaps fun to think about by just a tad scary knowing there are some who might actually want to try it. Some things are better left undone.... H level Clustered micor flight is surely one and Yes it is a safety issue.

Another way around some of the Over weight problems ie micro models over say 18grams. Is to add a booster. Yes I know the 10.5 and 13mm booster motors are OOP at the moment but can be used in the NAR OOP motor program.
I did this with a couple overweight T4 size SkyDarts awhile ago with good to excellent success. I sure hope Towerhobby/Estes brings back at least the A10-0t's soon. If not I guess we can try a clusted micro booster to get these heavy weights off the pad?

MM 240b1_Booster Staged13-6mm MM Skydart_09-06-06.jpg

MM 240p02b_Booster staged 10.5mm & 13mm to MMX_09-06-06.jpg

240lp01e_MM Boosted Skydart 4pic Flt_09-16-06.jpg

Attachments

• MM 240a3-sm_T4 SkyDart & T4 Booster_09-07-06.jpg
    MM 240a3-sm_T4 SkyDart & T4 Booster_09-07-06.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 35
Back