Quantcast

Just another Newbie !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Aerobee300

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals .... I'm glad I found this forum .... got the link from Thrustlines website. It's been 30 + years since I've done the model rocketry thing .... glad to see the hobby is still alive and well !!!!

slim_t

Reaction score
Welcome Aerobee. You're going to love this forum.
Not only is the hobby alive and well, but it's thriving, growing, and just all around bigger and better.

Be sure to check out Fliskits.com for some really cool rockets.
They're favorites of many here on the forum, and the owner, Jim Flis, is probably on the forum more than anyone. He'll probably be the next to welcome you. :)

When I first came to the forum, I kept reading about a Deuce's Wild, and it took me a while to actually find out what it was, but once I did, I ordered one, and I too became a big fan of Fliskits.

Their kits are awesome. Their service is the best. Just do a search here for Fliskits, or Deuce's Wild, or Tres, and see what you get.

Again, welcome, hang out, enjoy, and oh yeah; we all like pics, so when you get that aerobee done, be sure to post some pics.

Tim

jflis

Reaction score
well, after such a great introduction, i guess i *should* welcome you also :)

Welcome back to rocketry and welcome to the best place on the web to learn, brag and enjoy the hobby :)

jim

powderburner

Reaction score
However you got here, we're glad you decided to join us!

If you have been 'gone' for 30 years, I think one of the biggest shocks that will hit you is that Estes has pretty much gone to c***. They have a few good kits, and lately have come out with some more good kits, but for a looooong time Estes concentrated on plastic, ready-to-fly, anyone-with-$20-can-do-it kind of thing. Estes has also cut way back on the parts and launch supplies, as well as many of the motors they used to carry.

There are many new suppliers out there that have come in to fill these voids. You will have to do a lot of mail-order business, but most all these guys are fast, efficient, and thoughtful about how they sell and ship their goodies.

Try out FlisKits (DEFINITELY!) for parts and fun new kits, check out Thrustline Aerospace for clones of old Estes stuff and more parts, look at Totally Tubular and Balsa Machining Service for parts, and I am sure the other guys here on TRF will jump in and suggest many more websites!

powderburner

Reaction score
Aerobee300,
When you get ready to start buying motors, check out your local W-world toy section. They have pretty good prices (but usually a limited offering) like a three-pack of 18mm motors for $5, or a four-pack of 13mm motors for $5.
Or save the coupon from your Sunday paper for Michael's MJ Design (they are pretty much coast-to-coast?) and use it for an Estes 'flight pack' of 24 motors. The sticker price for the pack is usually around $47 or so, but the 40 percent off coupon brings it down to a much more reasonable $28-ish.
Buying motors either of these ways will include igniters and ejection wadding. Another source of wadding is the fireproof puffed cellulose attic insulation (the guys here on TRF call it dog barf) you can get at your local hardware store (or your attic).

sandman

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

As for

I think one of the biggest shocks that will hit you is that Estes has pretty much gone to c***.
That is just one persons opinion.

New kits are pouring out of Estes...well, actually China..Really great inovative kits...The Renagade, Outlander, you might even find a few Orbital Transports in a few store...I have.

They (Estes) have probably the BEST customer service departments around! Very quick to replace or repair almost anything...no questions asked!

They have an 800 number and a real "person to help you out!

sandman

BlueNinja

Reaction score
Yeah... I got a few Estes kits, going mostly to Fliskits and AT. If you haven't already, definitley check out Fliskits. Top quality kits, no cheap plastic stuff. Once you're bored of LPR, AT is the place to go for your MPR stuff.

Aerotech

Fliskits

Aerobee300

Reaction score
WOW ... thanks for the welcome fellas !

I'm just about done building my first rocket in ... well ... probrably 20 years. (Last one was a Centuri Russian SAM III in about 82-83) It's a Estes Big Bertha. Never built one way back when I was really into the hobby. Don't seem like too much has changed other than the plastic nose cone and stickers instead of decals.

I've found Thrustline via ebay ... gonna build an Aerobee 300 clone next. Thrustline looks to be a pretty good suplier and John there is quick to answer my emails.

I'm gonna have to check out some of the others like Fliskits !

What has spurred me on to get back into this is .... well my wife really ... lol . We home school our children and she wanted me to do some kind of fairly intense science project with them ... Just so happens I caught a rocketry program on the Discovery Channel and that lit the 'ol light bulb !

I have bought several kits off of ebay so my modeling and teaching plate will be quite full really soon. In addition to the Big Bertha I have a Mosquito, Mongoose, Alpha III and 6 each of Estes Venus Probe and Exo-Skell coming. I purchaced all of these kits (including a porta pad, launch control, 3 motors and shipping) for under $80. Once I've paid for my Aerobee I'll be at $100 .... I've spent that much cash on way worse things !!!

sandman

Reaction score
Once I've paid for my Aerobee I'll be at $100 .... I've spent that much cash on way worse things !!!
LOL!

I had a buddy that would drop that much at the local bar every Friday night!

sandman

slim_t

Reaction score
Originally posted by sandman
That is just one persons opinion. New kits are pouring out of Estes...
sandman
I too am pretty happy with what Estes has now. In fact, I have almost everything in last years catalog. And I think we all like the new military kits that were recently released. They even have them in Wal-Mart now, in the Launchables package. Great kits for only $8.88, I just don't care for the 3 BT pieces instead of 1 long one, but still good stuff.

But Estes still doesn't have anything like the Deuce or Tres.
Now I've got to get the rest of the Fliskits line.

Tim