Just an old fashioned rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinder

Reaction score
Hello,
I haven't been here for a while but my latest rocket is finished. It is an Estes Astron Omega. I think they were last made in the early 70's, maybe 72. I havn't flown this one yet but if I remember right the last one I flew went out of the county. Well it could have been the field was too small.

Blinder

The Omega was one of my all time fav rockets. I never had a Cineroc, but I would weight down the payload section so it matched the weight of the Cineroc (this also helped me launch it without loosing it...

never *lost* it, but I did destroy it in a double cato of a pair of D13's.....

I hit the ignition switch and she went *boom*, the fireball of the booster motor pushed the rocket into the air and had enough burning particles into the sustainer that *it* ignited and it too cato'ed.....

double trouble... LOL

Still my favorite kit from the past!

oh! and welcome back! :)

Great rocket man...I really like the looks and color...this may have been the one that inspired the Flis Cheetah, which is a great flier.

Carl

One of my favorite kits as well. Out of sight flights. Lost it many years ago, had the booster up until about 2 or 3 months ago, then finally sold it on ebay......Man i wish I still had that one, but there are clones out there....Hmmmmmm......

Current project---Tres

Next up ????

I have to tell you guys this story because I came out ahead for once.

About 20 years ago I bought a gob of rocket stuff from a hobby shop that was going out of business, including four Omegas for $5 each (I was no dummy, I saw those prices and started GRABBING!)

A couple years ago I sold most of them on ROL auctions. The first one went for over $190, the second for $140-something, and the third for almost $100.

That's what I call return on investment.

Great job on your clone blinder!

My original was stolen and destroyed back in the 70's, but the Cinaroc survived. Here's my clone and old "still working" cinaroc. I love this model, Wonderful flights, Film is getting to be a pain to find:)

Powderburner, I hear ya! I've got one in the BAG and an extra Cinaroc still in the box as well.... Gonna be a really good auction someday;)

Originally posted by CTulanko
Great rocket man...I really like the looks and color...this may have been the one that inspired the Flis Cheetah, which is a great flier.

Carl

Yep, actually you're right :) And you're the first person to connect those dots :)

Something about trapizoid fins, man...

Thanks guys this one was built from materials bought from Fliskits.
the decals were made from Bel decal stock. I am starting another one that will be powered by D12-0 and E9-6. The building instructions are on the web and with a little care and a pencil you can figure out all the measurements. Give it a try! I had great fun doing mine.

Blinder

Yeah, the Omega is one of my favorite kits. I have had several and I have only ever flown one, once single-staged. Where I lived in NY and now MD I have not had access to a field where I even thought I could get it back in a full double D launch. I really love the color pattern of the stock paint job. I have been building video rockets and most of them use the same color scheme. The attached picture is of one of the video rockets next to the Omega that I will probably never get to fly!

That is an interesting looking rocket. Is the camera way up front in the rear of the nosecone? What do you use for a camera?

Blinder

Originally posted by rokitflite
Yeah, the Omega is one of my favorite kits. I have had several and I have only ever flown one, once single-staged. Where I lived in NY and now MD I have not had access to a field where I even thought I could get it back in a full double D launch. I really love the color pattern of the stock paint job. I have been building video rockets and most of them use the same color scheme. The attached picture is of one of the video rockets next to the Omega that I will probably never get to fly!

Come on out to California! We can fly up at the Santa Fe Dam site or go out to Lucerne, again.

Remember Bugs!

Hi Blinder,
The camera is mounted in the forward pod looking straight back so that the blue nosecone on the lower portion is in the center of the field of view. I do this so that I am sure to see the booster separate and come down. The chute comes out the rear of the silver tank at the bottom, with the shock cord connected to the very top of the whole rocket. I got the camera off of Ebay, there are several people who have been converting these into rocket cameras and selling them. Here is the address of one of the auctions: https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3080993126&category=48632 . I have attached a picture of the camera out of the front pod.

Bob,
If you pay for the airfare and the shipping of the Omega I will come fly with you!

PS. Steve comes to MD every now and then to do testing on an anti missile missile that Honneywell is working on.

Originally posted by blinder
Thanks guys this one was built from materials bought from Fliskits.
the decals were made from Bel decal stock. I am starting another one that will be powered by D12-0 and E9-6. The building instructions are on the web and with a little care and a pencil you can figure out all the measurements. Give it a try! I had great fun doing mine.

Blinder

I finally got around to modelling the Omega on RSim after reading this thread.

RSim shows the thing to be quite stable stacked with an E9-0 booster and and E9-8 sustainer, with a predicted altitude of 1/2 mile (2600 + ft.). I modeled it with the following minor modifications:

1. Eliminate the forward payload bay and multiple 'chutes. Make the sustainer body tube the net 19" long, and install a single 18" chute. I indicated 60" of 1/4" flat elastic shock cord.

2. Move the thrust ring in the sustainer motor tube forward 1", and increase the mass of the engine hook to 1.9 grams.

3. Eliminate the thrust ring entirely from the booster motor tube. The booster motor tube is only 4" long anyway, so the bt50 stage coupler in the forward end of that motor tube will work nicely as the "thrust ring" if only inserted 1/2" into the front of said motor tube and the overall length trimmed as necessary.

4. Again, increase the mass of the motor hook on the booster to 1.9 grams to account for the additional 1" in length.

5. Eliminate the C-rail guide system and standoffs. Install standard flush-mount lugs (if you do plan to use a rail, use rail buttons and dont mess with that flimsy setup in the plans)

Let 'er rip and pray for no higher elevation winds to carry the thing away!

BTW, in the RSim file I mention above:

If you mix the engines:

E9-0 booster, D12-7 sustainer = 2050 ft.

D12-0 booster, E9-8 sustainer = 2150 ft.

D12-0 booster, D12-7 sustainer = 1610 ft.

I do not have the engine file for the C11 engines to know what that would do.....

This looks like such a cool rocket, and I have all the parts.........

I can print my own decals..........

:kill:

Back