Just an Observation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTRockets

Reaction score
As I was out in the local stores searching for a starter set for my nephew and one for a friend of mine who I have just introduced to the hobby, i couldnt help but notice that the days of the starter sets coming in reusable range boxes are over. Have those days passed completely? Perhaps rocket companies such as quest and estes will bring back the range boxes with their starter sets. That would be nice.

As I was out in the local stores searching for a starter set for my nephew and one for a friend of mine who I have just introduced to the hobby, i couldnt help but notice that the days of the starter sets coming in reusable range boxes are over. Have those days passed completely? Perhaps rocket companies such as quest and estes will bring back the range boxes with their starter sets. That would be nice.

The neat range box is an extremely inefficient use of shelf space and transportation volume. The nifty "Honey where is the chainsaw -> I need to open this package" Blister pack is way easier for retailers to deal with and better to protect the goods during shipment for the far east.

To me half the fun is finding your way to organize the stuff you drag to the field. If the gifts you bought take root, treat them to an inexpensive Plano tackle box and teach them the joy of stuffing your workshop in it.

I have two of the old estes range box or field operations box. they are much better for tube storage and or parts storage. like to use a multi drawer tool box for my range box. and a few heavy ordence boxes.

What he said.

Also remember that price is king especially at the big box stores. Shaving a few pennies in cardboard (let alone shelf space and truck space) will win every time.

Then you can join the HPR crowd...

Then: I built my rockets on my desk in my bedroom on a sheet of newspaper

Now: I have a 26' x 33' workshop with a band saw, belt sander, table saw, drill press, and a 27 gal compressor, etc...

Then: I tucked everything is a cardboard box and walked to the park.

Now: I try and get it all into an SUV, 3' x 5' trailer, the roof rack, and possibly the club trailer. Then I drive 5-6 hours and have to get a hotel room.

Now: I have a 26' x 33' workshop with a band saw, belt sander, table saw, drill press, and a 27 gal compressor, etc...

Now: I try and get it all into an SUV, 3' x 5' trailer, the roof rack, and possibly the club trailer. Then I drive 5-6 hours and have to get a hotel room.
Great! Something to look forward to... :rolleyes: :D

Mark \\.

Sounds an awful lot like my experiences with Free Flight modeling and competing in the AMA. Right down to the workshop and tools through the SUV and hotel rooms.

And now I squeeze model rocketry and Highland Games into the mix as I have all the gear! LOL!

I still have my original range box and use it for spare parts storage, too.

The neat range box is an extremely inefficient use of shelf space and transportation volume. The nifty "Honey where is the chainsaw -> I need to open this package" Blister pack is way easier for retailers to deal with and better to protect the goods during shipment for the far east.

To me half the fun is finding your way to organize the stuff you drag to the field. If the gifts you bought take root, treat them to an inexpensive Plano tackle box and teach them the joy of stuffing your workshop in it.

I would agree with Al there. 7 bucks at Wal-Mart gets you a decent tool box. I have like 4 of them sitting here.

Back