Junkyard Wars Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenon

Reaction score
For those of you lucky enough to get the Discovery Science channel, tune in tonight at 11:00 pm Eastern time (10:00 centeral) to "Junkyard Wars, Sky Rockets"
It is an old episode where teams must loft ostritch (sp?) eggs to the highest altitude.

Thanks for the heads up....been meaning to see that episode since I got into higher power rocketry.

I saw it earlier on the science channel. It was really good. They had Ky Michelson on it even...:) It was really neat seeing the motor cases and actually knowing what size they are! One team even had a 54mm....:)

that the fins would flutter off that 3-motor rocket...
doomsayers...
lol!

its the same episode theyve had on for 2 years!!!

i wanted a new one lol

Funnily enough, this episode was on a couple of days ago on the UK's Discovery channel at about 2 in the morning. I videoed it, natch.

Not the best Junkyard Wars/Scrapheap Challenge subject, rockets. It was all a bit too 'simple'-a-challenge, especially for a series finalie. (IMHO) I mean - its not a challenge like the ones where they have to build medival catapualts to lob cars across disused airfields. I did enjoy it mind! :D

I messed up the timer on my vid, and missed the first few mins where they introduced the experts - were they anybody from here?

Also .... I know I'm a little biased, but I do much prefer the Brit version of the show (Scrapheap Challenge). Kryten (Robert Llewellyn) is such a class presenter. ;)

What I wanna know is, where can I find a junkyard that is loaded with Dr Rocket cases just for the taking?...:D

Seriuosly though, I have both episodes on tape, I believe Bruce Kelly of HPR Magazine(??) and Tripoli hosted the second one.

I also have the Travel Channel's show on the LDRS in Kansas where Ray Halm (sp) burned the first cluster of (4) M1939's in an Aries(?) What ever it was, it was BIG

Thanks for the heads up xenon

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
Seriuosly though, I have both episodes on tape, I believe Bruce Kelly of HPR Magazine(??) and Tripoli hosted the second one.

I think you mean Bruce Lee, he was the team expert for the Long Brothers on that episode. What they dont tell you is that Bruce and Ky are best friends. It did not matter on this episode as the other rocket fell apart, but it may explain why Ky favored the Long Brother's rocket.

Scott

Originally posted by cydermaster
Funnily enough, this episode was on a couple of days ago on the UK's Discovery channel at about 2 in the morning. I videoed it, natch.

Not the best Junkyard Wars/Scrapheap Challenge subject, rockets. It was all a bit too 'simple'-a-challenge, especially for a series finalie. (IMHO) I mean - its not a challenge like the ones where they have to build medival catapualts to lob cars across disused airfields. I did enjoy it mind! :D

I messed up the timer on my vid, and missed the first few mins where they introduced the experts - were they anybody from here?

Also .... I know I'm a little biased, but I do much prefer the Brit version of the show (Scrapheap Challenge). Kryten (Robert Llewellyn) is such a class presenter. ;)

But did you know that it was filmed in an artillery range with shells flying over them?

I don't think that either Bruce or Ky post here, but I don't know about that other team expert (I forget his name). However, there was at least one other person in that program who has posted here.

Clue: It wasn't me, although I was asked about being a team expert! They ruled me out because I wasn't from the US - even though I promised I could do the accent!

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
- even though I promised I could do the accent!
ROFL - that would have been too funny! :D It was amusing enough watching the Brit presenter occasionally say Aluminium instead of Aluminum, or forgetting to refer to Tights as Pany-Hoes. To have somebody making the same mistake in a mock-yank-accent would be too much!! (especially if this person starts singing Half Man Half Buscuit songs while building) ;)

BTW: I talked about watching the aforementioned J/Wars episode, when I was down the pub on Friday. We spent the next hour talking about J/Wars-S/Challenge, and were still talking about it when we were kicked out at 11:30! What a great telly-program.

I would have been very funny, IMHO ;) See how the accent drifts from John Wayne to Homer Simpson to Foghorn Leghorn. "Where did you say you were from Darren?" "Err, Springfield?"

Anyone guessed which TRF poster was in the show yet?
Another clue: he was dressed in a white coat and yellow helmet[1] and he swapped the igniter when the first one didn't fire.

[1] ...and there was a reason for that.

Hey, Cyder, I thought you were in Scotland?!

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Hey, Cyder, I thought you were in Scotland?!
I'm leaving 1st thing tomorrow morning. It was my little sis's wedding yesterday, I'm packing and looking after my nephew and niece today. Then its IRW time! :D

Are you joking or are you serious about the person from TRF being on that show? If so, who was it? Im bad a catching sarcasim.

Connor

Me sarcastic? ;)

No, for real, the guy in the white coat who swapped the igniter, has posted to TRF, he's not a regular poster though. He's a well known UK rocketeer, sometimes seen at Black Rock too, so some in the US will know of him.

Back