June is Honest John Month-Let's Celebrate with a New Photo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The first recorded test launch of America's first nuclear capable missile, the M31 Honest John took place on June 29, 1951 at the White Sands Testing Grounds in New Mexico.

Let's celebrate HoJo month with a newly discovered image. I purchased this from a private collector in England. It's a 6X4.5 medium-format film, shot on black & white stock. It is an original negative from the Douglas Aircraft Company (European Office) and is serial No. 242.3.1.

No other markings on the negative or the envelope. Judging from the test stand, wind monitoring equipment, and surrounding terrain, I believe this photograph of an M31 launch was taken at the White Sands Missile Range. The paint scheme is unusual. It's the white "test round" scheme, but the fins all appear to be painted black with some white area between them for roll indication. The familiar roll pattern in visible on the nose cone. The photograph has considerable motion blur, indicating that the shutter speed was set too low.

This error seems unlikely in advanced stages of testing, so my guess is that this photograph is an early test, probably in 1951-52. It's always fun to discover new images of this missile. Happy HoJo Month! Honest John M31 Negative.jpg

Visit this prototype often, as it's nearby in Huntsville. Unfortunately, the Space & Rocket Center isn't as well funded as in the past--and the maintenance on their "rocket farm" is poor. This missile hasn't had a proper paint job in a decade. Some look even worse.

As a kid, the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville was a dream destination. Conned my folks into taking me 2-3 times, and each one was an exhausting, breathtaking day. It's still a fun trip, but most of their funding now seems to go towards "Space Camp" and STEM programs.

Snapped this pic Down in AL. at the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville.

This will be the paint job on my next HJ build.

View attachment 524290
Is that an "official" paint scheme or was it something that someone dreamed up for a display? I've tried to look up photos in google for paint jobs for various scale models and I've come up with some paint schemes like this one that didn't look historic. Or maybe after this one is painted like this, that makes it an official paint scheme.

I'm not sure if I want to weather it on not. I'll have to decide when I get to that point. I can say that I'm going to include all of the bands that run around the body for detail
If you are going to weather it, you need to have made that decision beforehand. So the undercoat is the correct colour. Then when you rub down the finish, the correct under colour will come through.

All,

I have just posted several pics of the Honest John MGR-1a at Ft. Lewis, WA. There are some detail pics of the fin attachments as well as the spin rockets.

Great video and a picture perfect flight! I didn't have my Apple watch on, but I'm pretty sure my heartbeat elevated waiting for the main chute to deploy. Such a beautiful rocket, it would have been horrifying to see a recovery failure or any damage to it. Just doesn't get any better than that flight for sure. Well done! Congratulations again, Dan. The only thing better than earning your L3 is doing it on an Honest John.

Great video and a picture perfect flight! I didn't have my Apple watch on, but I'm pretty sure my heartbeat elevated waiting for the main chute to deploy. Such a beautiful rocket, it would have been horrifying to see a recovery failure or any damage to it. Just doesn't get any better than that flight for sure. Well done! Congratulations again, Dan. The only thing better than earning your L3 is doing it on an Honest John.
Yes, that deflated chute almost gave me a heart attack. I changed the position of the drouge for a second flight and it alleviated the issue of the payload bay/cone traveling below the booster at deployment. You learn something on every flight out there.

Back