June Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Firstly, a shameless plug for this months awesome sponsor K and S Rockets! From kits to building supplies to all your recovery needs, K And S Rockets has you covered! Go check out the website! ;)

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class. If there are more then seven(7) entries for the month, the entries will be split into multiple polls based on entry sequence into the competition and a run-off will be held with the top vote recipients from each poll. Run off voting period will be 5 days.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

Super duper easy theme this month: ANYTHING !! Just remember Rule #5a!;)

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Our awesome sponsor this month is K And S Rockets! And the prize is a $40 dollar shopping spree at K And S Rockets!

So, let's get those entries in!

This is a 2.2 inch kit from LOC/Precision. In this picture, It is being flown on a G33-5J. This particular flight was it's second flight. This is single deploy. I did, however, went with rail guides versus the standard launch lug. There is a Aeropack motor retainer as well. Estimated altitude is approximately 1,200 feet.

IMG_7441.jpg

I look forward to seeing your entry. I had a couple of others for entry, but the pictures are way too big.

Here is my entry, I'm flying it at LDRS on an H.

whats unique about it? just about everything.

The base is a saucer fin, graphite epoxy, the bottle is cardboard and foam, and the cap is wood.

One side has a MonsterBrau beer label the other side is Lucerne Brew Root Beer (the kids label).

I do need to come up with a good name, If I launched it on a G, I thought of G-wiz (g-engine and beer makes you.. well you know). Other names that are close but not quite are,

One for the road
Bottle Rocket (so far my favorite)
Beer Run
Rocket Pong
Hop to it
Hoptical Illusion
Carbonator
Brew Confessions

Any other suggestions?

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

Here is my entry, I'm flying it at LDRS on an H.

whats unique about it? just about everything.

The base is a saucer fin, graphite epoxy, the bottle is cardboard and foam, and the cap is wood.

One side has a MonsterBrau beer label the other side is Lucerne Brew Root Beer (the kids label).

I do need to come up with a good name, If I launched it on a G, I thought of G-wiz (g-engine and beer makes you.. well you know). Other names that are close but not quite are,

One for the road
Bottle Rocket (so far my favorite)
Beer Run
Rocket Pong
Hop to it
Hoptical Illusion
Carbonator
Brew Confessions

Any other suggestions?

Brew Cruise or Booze Cruise

Sud Scud

Buzzy the Beer Rocket

I look forward to seeing your entry. I had a couple of others for entry, but the pictures are way too big.

If the file size is too big you could always upload them to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com and post the image links in your write up..Or you could download Irfanview(it is FREE) and resize them to 640x480 and maybe knock the resolution and jpg quality down a notch or two..Lately I import the pictures off my camera using Picaso(another great FREE program) and then use it to export the files for upload and can most times get the file size down under 100kb..Just a couple of options..:2:

Can one cluster into MPR contest? Just a thought. I would imagine that there will be a Cluster Contest sometime? May have already been one.:confused2: Scotty Dog

Can one cluster into MPR contest? Just a thought. I would imagine that there will be a Cluster Contest sometime? May have already been one.:confused2: Scotty Dog

I suppose you could have enough C , D or E engines to get the impulse level into the 'F' range to classify as a MPR, or even HPR..Yeah, a cluster theme would be cool as well..So, yeah, if you got the motors to make it into the F impulse range in a cluster then you can enter it in the MPR/HPR contest...

Speaking of clusters, I'll enter my SHR Gemini Titan.

It flies on a cluster of two single use G motors located under the bell nozzles. I usually fly it on a cluster of two G77Rs, but It has flown on G80s as well. I am currently working on special aft closures so I can put reloadable Hs in it.

In the pictures posted, it is flying on G77s.

426564142_AXNah-L-1.jpg

426564192_zED8D-L-1.jpg

426564233_4nZZ5-L-1.jpg

426564238_eAteW-L-1.jpg

426564357_CRwgg-L-1.jpg

Ok, you win.

What are we doing for next month? How about that cluster idea.

OK, I know I've shown this missile before, but I've never entered one of these competitions and decided I'd try it. In my efforts to create something a little unusual, I came across this rocket and decided to design one of my own. This is a Gabriel 1 (not to be confused with the Gabriel 3). I could not find photos showing this missile to have any markings, so I left mine "naked" as well. It is a single stage missile designed to fly 24mm motors. It is shown here before it was flown.

Gabriel Upscale bottom.jpg

Gabriel Upscale strakes.jpg

Gabriel upscale fins.jpg

Gabriel_upscale2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm depressed.

My entry was supposed to be my crayon rocket
g.jpg

but this is the remains...
g3.jpg

what are the rules against a trashed rocket that flew once successfully? :p

What's even more depressing is, If I should have won, and got Jon for SS, I was going to buy his chute for him.

Sorry, My stupidity caused me to over grease the delay element and plug the ejection well.
Sad day..

That's a bummer Braden..:(

Well, technically, the rules don't specify that the rocket HAS to be in flyable condition at time of contest, only that it need be in your collection and HAS flown successfully before.Which is kind of in a gray area..I need to consult the rules committee.....

So, after consulting with the rules committee I have decided that it would be acceptable with good before mishap picture(s) and at least one picture from a successful flight..

Any objections?

An obvious plot in hopes that Braden is my SS and gets me my drogue chute..j/k..If you're reading this and have an objection, please, by all means PM me and let me know.Seriously...

Speaking of clusters, I'll enter my SHR Gemini Titan.

It flies on a cluster of two single use G motors located under the bell nozzles. I usually fly it on a cluster of two G77Rs, but It has flown on G80s as well. I am currently working on special aft closures so I can put reloadable Hs in it.

In the pictures posted, it is flying on G77s.

This would really look sweet with a pair of these...:D

I'm not sure if I should enter an altitude rocket here in this contest, but some may find this interesting:

The assembled rocket in the picture below flew to 17,408 feet on May 28, using a CTI I216 motor. The unassembled rocket in the picture flew to 22,328 feet on a J530 two days later, using the same nosecone and av-bay. If I recall correctly (the Tripoli record site is down) the official records for I and J are 13,728 and 19,758 feet respectively, and there is another flight by John Wilke on an I216 that went to 14,200 something a couple months ago. I think the I version of the rocket did a little better, relatively speaking, so I'm submitting that one this month's contest.
IMG_1436.jpg

Here's the launch:

Irecordlaunch.jpg

Unlike the J530 boost, which was 60 Gs and had a significant wobble early on, the I216 shot was straight and smooth, at about 30 Gs. Graphs of the flight are available here:
https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6636

This dual-deployment rocket is scratch built, from the fins to the chute, and has a number of unique features that helped its performance. The main one is the chute holder which allows dual deployment with a single airframe break, and places everything but the motor inside the long nosecone:
IMG_1229.jpg

The chute holder is 24mm cardboard reinforced with fiberglass to minimize interference with the transmitter antenna that is attached to it. The signal got pretty quiet at apogee until the carbon fiber nosecone deployed, uncovering the antenna and chute holder. Packaging everything other than the motor into the nosecone volume allows the nosecone to have a very long taper to minimize pressure drag, without adding to the rocket volume. The chute is a custom design to minimize seams and packed volume, the shock cords are short, and the deployment charges are potted inside custom-sized cardboard tubes potted with epoxy at both ends. The motor had a CTI-provided tapered aft closure to reduce base drag. The fins are about 0.050 thick, constructed of unidirectional carbon fiber with the fibers almost entirely oriented normal to the body tube. The nosecone has a variation of the Von Karman shape that minimizes drag for a given diameter and volume. It too is constructed of mostly unidirectional carbon fiber.

Flew nicely last weekend on an Aerotech E30-4 with recovery via a 36 inch chute. Probably won't launch again for quite awhile as I can't take the sheer terror of a possible mishap and crash.

Attachments

• VegaAfter.jpg
    VegaAfter.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 2
The bottle rocket flew at LDRS.

It was an entry in the LDRS low altitude odd-roc contest, the altitude was 203 feet (if the altimeter is right), drag separated AS DESIGNED, and landed perfectly. Discovery filmed the launch and landing.

Did have one miscue, during the first try it got stuck on the rod. Turns out it sits much lower than the lugs on most rockets and the rod was gummed up. Cleaned the rod and had a perfect flight.

I used one of the new Altimeter One to measure the altitude, read 203 during the successful flight, read 400 plus feet on the launch where it didn't leave the rod!

Went well with my Pizza Rocket and Rocket Powered Football

beerf 3.JPG

Glad to see the number of entries! :) Just a reminder of those on the fence: Entry period closes at midnight(or when I get home, whichever is later) Monday June 21st! Voting will commence shortly afterwards..So get your entries in! ;)

Glad to see the number of entries! :) Just a reminder of those on the fence: Entry period closes at midnight(or when I get home, whichever is later) Monday June 21st! Voting will commence shortly afterwards..So get your entries in! ;)

Jon,
I have decided that I do not want my red crayon to be counted for several reasons, once, because it's totaled, I would understand if people had a problem with that, and I don't a flight picture. But there is some good news...

I've rebuilt it as the blue crayon, so after it flies this weekend (knock on wood) I will enter the contest with the blue crayon, instead of the red one. :D

Jon,
I have decided that I do not want my red crayon to be counted for several reasons, once, because it's totaled, I would understand if people had a problem with that, and I don't a flight picture. But there is some good news...

I've rebuilt it as the blue crayon, so after it flies this weekend (knock on wood) I will enter the contest with the blue crayon, instead of the red one. :D

I think you read my mind!:y: I was going to suggest that over on the thread you have for the Big Blue Crayon!:roll:

Good luck on the flight this weekend!:cheers:

I think you read my mind!:y: I was going to suggest that over on the thread you have for the Big Blue Crayon!:roll:

Good luck on the flight this weekend!:cheers:

Well I didn't think it would be easy to get the epoxy off the centering rings. but it just peeled right off :eyepop:. I used more epoxy this time. It has about 3/4 of the motor tube left, but that's okay, I don't have a 14 inch 38mm case...yet.

so I figured, the bank is only $6.99, let's just slap another one together.

I am a little tempted to fly the same motor that killed the last one.

Last edited:
Most I think at least peeked at the thread

My largest rocket to date and my first scratch build

87" Tall 4" Dia. weighs 7.8lbs

Features:

Clear plexiglass fins

Scratch centering rings

AvBay for MAWD Perfectflite

Flu twice this weekend at LDRS!!! Once on a CTI I216 and again on a AT I284W

Both went nominal...first flight main didnt come out:bang: my bad

Aerotech flight main didnt come out till 15ft from the ground (landed safe but scared the heck out of me)

Any questions pm me

I will post a lift off picture when i get it (the photographer got an AWESOME photo of the Aerotech flight but Nadine hasnt posted LDRS29 on her site)

Thanks again hope you like it

Ok so I'll throw down my rocket. It's a LOC vulconate that has been modified for dual deploy because I feed it H's and I's. I'm going to put it up on a I161 next.

reasons why it's cool:

3. It's dual deploy
2. my six year old usually loads it on the rail
1. Name: "Morning after bad Thai food" (special thanks to the CATO club for naming it and Stickershock for the decal)

MABTF 1.JPG

MABTF 2.JPG

I have one... My 4x upscale Echo. flew it at LDRS on a CTI H120 Red Lightning motor. Perfect flight and recovery...

echo1.jpg

echo2.jpg

echo3.jpg

echo4.jpg

Last edited:
Just a question, does the flight have to be perfectly straight? :eek:

It was a bit windy, and, watching the flight, you would swear my crayon picked up heat and whipped right towards it, and the chute came out about 30 feet off the ground. :jaw: Which is pretty bad considering the 20 feet of shock cord.

I got the greatest liftoff picture I have ever taken, but I used my aunt's camera, so it will have to wait a until she sends it to me.

No. Doesn't have to be perfectly straight..As long as the rocket flew safe, didn't endanger spectators and can be flown again without repairs..Pretty much the same criteria as a certification flight..

It went up, was a little crooked due to wind, chute came out, rocket landed safely..;)

BZZZZZZZZZZZZT! Entry period is now officially closed! ;)

Polls to be posted momentarily!

Thanks for participating, and may the BEST rocket win! :D

Back