Jumping out of a plane at 25,000 feet - no parachute.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember hearing about this and immediately thought this probably won't end well and saw the vid for the first time earlier. What an incredible feat.

I'd love to skydive myself someday but I wouldn't go to THAT extreme.:wink:

People like this give sky diving a bad name.
Stunts like this do not serve to advance the sport, just prove that this man is nuts.

People like this give sky diving a bad name.
Stunts like this do not serve to advance the sport, just prove that this man is nuts.
Don't disagree - it is kind of glorifying fringe activity here......like the more extreme rocketry stunts.
Curious, do you rig for military jumps, or commercially run skydives, or both?

When friends bring up the topic of sky diving my normal response is "why jump out of a perfectly good plane". Don't get me wrong I am not against the sport, I would be the first out the door if the wing fell off, but this guy brings the idea of free-falling to a new level. I watched the video and felt very uneasy, right up to the point he hit the net, as it looked from his helmet cam that he was off. Just nuts, but technically pretty cool I must admit!

When friends bring up the topic of sky diving my normal response is "why jump out of a perfectly good plane". Don't get me wrong I am not against the sport, I would be the first out the door if the wing fell off, but this guy brings the idea of free-falling to a new level. I watched the video and felt very uneasy, right up to the point he hit the net, as it looked from his helmet cam that he was off. Just nuts, but technically pretty cool I must admit!

If he was off target, it definitely would have given the sport a bad name.

Here's a video...where the wings DID fall off........................

Multiple views from the jumper as they had helmet cams....

[video=youtube;7p6hqMnsLFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6hqMnsLFY[/video]

Last edited:
Here's a video...where the wings DID fall off........................

Multiple views from the jumper as they had helmet cams....

[video=youtube;7p6hqMnsLFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6hqMnsLFY[/video]

I guess if you are going to be in a mid-air collision, it's very convenient to be standing in the door with a chute on! Did everyone get out? How about the pilots? Looked like maybe not...

Frankly, this guy is nuts. That he pulled it off is amazing, crazy, stupid, and careless all at once.

Amazing that he hit the mark and walked away.

Crazy for obvious reasons. Jumping out of an aircraft with a parachute is one thing- doing so without a chute is indication this individual needs some professional assistance.

Stupid- I do not think I need to elaborate on this much.

Careless for risking one's life for something so worthless. His choice of course.

Don't disagree - it is kind of glorifying fringe activity here......like the more extreme rocketry stunts.
Curious, do you rig for military jumps, or commercially run skydives, or both?

I currently rig pilot ejection seat parachutes. But I have rigged both military and sport rigs, I also was a sky diver at one time until finances grounded me.

I currently rig pilot ejection seat parachutes. But I have rigged both military and sport rigs, I also was a sky diver at one time until finances grounded me.

Yeah....I dropped out of the sport during the oil embargo, late seventies - lift tickets got a bit expensive, and I was just out of college and the job market pretty much sucked as well.
I sold my Papillon to a club in Maryland....and a Paraplane Cloud. The squares were the "new" thing back then.
I did get my girlfriend in 1982 to jump...that was my last as I recall.

Impressive and quite dangerous. Much more dangerous than flying a rocket to 60 km and from there jump with a parachute :)

That's crazy. I don't think I would have even liked to have been in the audience at the event. Imagine if he missed it right in front of you! SPLAT!

Or if he missed it and landed right on top of you - double splat.

Not my taste, but you have to admire the guy and his team for working through the design and logistics of the stunt. It must have really been over-the-top otherwise Red Bull would have been all over this for promotion/exposure per usual.

That's crazy. I don't think I would have even liked to have been in the audience at the event. Imagine if he missed it right in front of you! SPLAT!

Actually, more "Boing!" than "SPLAT!" A friend of mine who was big into airshows once had the unfortunate opportunity to see someone hit when their chute didn't fully open. Bounced (fully intact) about 50 feet back up after hitting asphalt. The human skin is pretty amazing in its ability to hold everything in, though everything else inside was pretty much toast. In his slide show, he did have a photo of the pavement at the impact site. No debris, just a dent.

-Ken

Actually, more "Boing!" than "SPLAT!" A friend of mine who was big into airshows once had the unfortunate opportunity to see someone hit when their chute didn't fully open. Bounced (fully intact) about 50 feet back up after hitting asphalt. The human skin is pretty amazing in its ability to hold everything in, though everything else inside was pretty much toast. In his slide show, he did have a photo of the pavement at the impact site. No debris, just a dent.

-Ken

So, more like a basketball than a watermelon? That would definitely make the cleanup easier, but I still don't think I'd like to see it!

I saw that the show lasted an hour, thought no way that should take an hour, so I DVRed it, skipped through it to watch any tech stuff, then watched the jump. Maybe 15 minutes spent, no commercials.

i can understand a good adreniline rush, but this is,imo, actions of someone with a sick pathology-way more than just an adreniline junky.
AND
the people that paid to watch it arent too far behind.

now that ive thought about it overnight, i dont think im too far behind the paid spectators as i watched it too!

Last edited:
Back