July Best Rocket Competition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Well, the slacker that I am, here it is the 2nd and I am just now posting the opening of this month's contest!:rolleyes: Oh well,,So here goes! Important notice at the end of this post, so read it all even the repetitious rules section!

Firstly a shameless plug for our wonderful sponsor this month! A BIG thank you goes out to Mr Bob of Starlight Rocketry, producers of truly awesome kits such as Apogee, Firestar and Micro! Check out the site! I am sure there is a kit there that will tickle your fancy!

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

Pretty easy theme this month: Patriotic or national spirit! Can represent the 'stars and stripes' or something special for your countries pride..Just remember Rule #5a!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Our awesome sponsor this month is Starlight Rocketry! Rocketry like never before! And the prize is a $30 dollar shopping spree at Starlight Rocketry!

So, let's get those entries in!

NOTICE: As a real slacker I didn't get around to getting MPR/HPR sponsorship this month:eek: As a result this months' contest is open to all power classes..Just keep in mind our sponsor this month is geared toward LPR, but if you wish to enter an MPR or HPR then feel free to do so..I just want to see a lot of LPR entries as well! :)

Right, let's get things started.

This is my model of a Congreve artillery rocket, specifically an incendiary type. It's based on a full size replica in the museum next to the Völkerschlachtsdenkmal, the monument to the Battle of Leipzig, in which Napoleon's army faced an alliance of Prussian, Russian, Austrian and Swedish armies - and also a small British contingent trying out the Congreve rockets in a land battle for the first time.

It's patriotic in two ways. For the British it's patriotic because it was Britain's first military rocket. For Americans it's patriotic because whenever you sing your national anthem and get to the line about "the rocket's red glare", this is the rocket you're singing about.

The body is BT-20 equivalent. The loops which hold the guide stick are heavy paper reinforced with CA. The nose is a rolled paper cone and a paper sleeve which fits over the body, leaving more room for the shock cord and crepe streamer. The stick is a simple dowel which is detachable for transport and is usually carried in the same brass tube which acts as a launch guide.

The rocket flies well on A3-4T's using an empty 18mm casing as an adapter. It flies really well on B6-4's. I once launched an earlier Congreve on a C6-5; it went straight up and probably came down somewhere. This one hasn't seen a C6-5, which is one reason why it's still legal according to rule 5. :)

621congreve_small.jpg

648congreve_luft_small.jpg

"the rocket's red glare"

Reminds me of the AT Redline propellent....
Heres a prank rocket i made for the RSO

Its a G77R Spent case,and an adapter and an 18mm mount, it hit about 600 feet on a C6.
SD

redline flight.JPG

redline white and blue.JPG

OK, so here's patriotic. It's my LOC LDRS 28 commemorative rocket. Remember that the theme of the launch was "revolutionary rocketry?" I added an ebay extension to run dual deploy. I finally had the guts to fly it at NERRF on a AMW K1000 skid - a great flight with a little grass fire (oops!)
the electronics are a full RDAS with telemetry and down-link with an RR2C mini for backup. The little stickers on the fins and the white part of the body (above the American flag) are the range box stickers they gave out...
The wifey just told me to post that both the main and the drogue chutes are both red, white and blue.....she thought that was pretty patriotic as well....

LDRS Commemorative Rocket 4.jpg

ebay top2.jpg

LDRS Commemorative Rocket aft.jpg

LDRS 28 on K1000 skid.JPG

Last edited:
"Pantherjon" may have slacked (says he)this month ,but he still got us a sponsor and TRF is still having a July contest.:clap: Thanks for your time. Im in.Im working on this rocket as I post. The deal is I want it to look like a 4th of July Sky-Rocket. ya know-lite fuse and run away:roll: The NC is the top off a bird feeder that didnt make it thru the winter. NC fits over BT80. Gives it the "look" of old?.The fins are (were) from the junk draw. I think they may be from a"Twister or Zinger":confused2: I did some sanding on them and the paint just kinda rolled off. Not good, back in the junk draw.Ill cut new ones. In one of the pictures, I got a pencil at end of rocket. This is there to show that Im thinking of haveing a "stick" off the end like a real skyrocket. Cut the rings out of box cover from some CD Game. Friction fit 18mm. Rocket will be "Cherry Red" .Green with splash of silver on motor mount to look like fuse.Chute will be 12 "Blue /White. If I do the stick it will be wood. So,I got to get fins cut, glue them on and shock cord and chute and see if it will fly tomorrow. Then paint. I might bring this project in by the dead line. Scotty Dog

Couple more pics. OH-Ya Im sure this is not the first rocket called "FireCracker" But it works for me today.

Got home and had some isolated thunderstorms. So I put the paint to it. Little humid but whatever. Storms cleared out and I loaded it with a A8-3 for the back yard launch. I didnt feel like loading up and driving down to the fields.Flew about 60-80 ft up. Headed back down and "AGAIN" very close. Chute did open before impact. Scotty Dog

Coupl more pics

Sorry Pantherjon. I guess I could have posted a single thread for all the pictures???anywhoo-Heres 2 more. The yellow decal on bottom reads
"Use Under Adult Supervision Only
Light Fuse And Get Away"
The other reads-"Sun Fireworks"
So Thats it. Its a 4th of July Skyrocket ....Scotty Dog

FC.JPG

FC1.JPG

FC2.JPG

FC3.JPG

FC4.JPG

FC ready for launch.JPG

FC Flys.JPG

FC Deployment.JPG

FC Landed.JPG

FC built.JPG

FC Decals.JPG

FC Declas1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my Art Applewhite 29mm Cone Rocket. Hard to believe that this is the only patriotic rocket in my fleet but alas, here it is.

I personally call it the Flying Circus Tent because that's kind of what the shape reminds me of.;)

It is a great flier too. It has flown on a few G64-4W's and a G71-4R.

my entry a 31" D (or E) powered payload rocket. 3rd in my ftm series to test a thrust augmenter...not sure how well it works, but there doesn't seem to affect performance adversley, guestimate 1200-1400' altitude. more pics to follow.

ftm3 pic and vid provided by; McKailas Dad, thanks Jeff
pic on the pad waiting edit
engine used was an estes D12-5
[YOUTUBE]jG8ZNAo7RxQ[/YOUTUBE]

ftm3 001.jpg

Rex-roc 002crop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great entries! :) Will be interesting to see how the voting goes, tough choices!

24 hours to post your entries! Entry period closes at midnight July 21(or when I get home from work, whichever is later)..Poll to be posted shortly thereafter! :)

Sorry Pantherjon. I guess I could have posted a single thread for all the pictures???

:roll: No biggie..I just 'merged' your posts into one so 'voters' can see all the pretty pictures all in one post ;) Will do the same with this post so ALL the pictures will be in one post...Like you wrote when you edited this post: Cuz I can! :p

BTW, entry period almost to close! Last call!

Back