July 4 launches including a C11-3 failure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeLaunchman

Launching since 1975
Reaction score
We flew an assortment of rockets on Saturday: 1. Wolverine clone, A3-4T, 2. Saki (Semroc groonie),A8-3, Xarconian Cruiser, C6-3, 4. Broadsword II (scratchbuild) D12-3, 5. Venus Probe (modified with a Quest egg courier cone after structural failure of the lander). This one suffered a ceramic nozzle blowout with an Estes C11-3. The nozzle was later found on the blast deflector plate. The rocket still climbed to about 50 ft. as all the fuel quickly burned through.

image5.PNGimage4.PNGimage3.PNGimage2.PNGimage1.PNG

Last edited:
We flew an assortment of rockets on Saturday: 1. Wolverine clone, A3-4T, 2. Saki (Semroc groonie),A8-3, Xarconian Cruiser, C6-3, 4. Broadsword II (scratchbuild) D12-3, 5. Venus Probe (modified with a Quest egg courier cone after structural failure of the lander). This one suffered a ceramic nozzle blowout with an Estes C11-3. The nozzle was later found on the blast deflector plate. The rocket still climbed to about 50 ft. as all the fuel quickly through. View attachment 267020View attachment 267021View attachment 267022View attachment 267023View attachment 267024

...I have a bunch of C11-3's, hope this isn't a common problem :p

Call estes they will mail you a new one

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

We flew an assortment of rockets on Saturday: 1. Wolverine clone, A3-4T, 2. Saki (Semroc groonie),A8-3, Xarconian Cruiser, C6-3, 4. Broadsword II (scratchbuild) D12-3, 5. Venus Probe (modified with a Quest egg courier cone after structural failure of the lander). This one suffered a ceramic nozzle blowout with an Estes C11-3. The nozzle was later found on the blast deflector plate. The rocket still climbed to about 50 ft. as all the fuel quickly through.

Any pics of the Venus Probe? I don't think I see it. Also was it modified for the C11-3? The VP stock has an 18mm mount.

venus.jpg.PNG

The Venus Probe with the C11-3 failure is the first pic on the left, but I've enlarged it further and attached it here. The tube and fins are original but I upgraded the mount to a 24mm one and I replaced the lander with an egg cone long ago. I've used other C11-3's from the same batch and they worked perfectly so I can't explain why this one suffered a nozzle blowout.

Last edited:
The nozzle spitting thing is weird and random and has never been traced to any storage or handling conditions.

It first showed up when they switched to the "STRONG LIKE OX" clay which replaced the short lived (but not short enough....) "Poopy Clay". The nozzles of some D12 motors would just pop out at ignition PING on the deflector and the model would sit there with a nearly zero thrust flare coming out the bottom of the now-nozzle-less casing. later it occurred on some C11 and E9 motors. Much later there were reports of the same thing happening on 18mm motors, but it is much rarer than on 24mm.

Zero reports of E12 or the 29mm motors spitting a nozzle. And the reports of 1/3 of the E12 motors failing are fading away since this was only common on the first few date codes ever to come off the production line. All of the newer production runs are working flawlessly. (and awesomely....)

That's a lot of good and pertinent information, Shreadvector, thanks. At least we know the problem was rare and it has been addressed. Here's one more picture of the incident. Fortunately, my 10 year old son knows when to make a run for it.

IMG_1333.PNG

View attachment 267081

The Venus Probe with the C11-3 failure is the first pic on the left, but I've enlarged it further and attached it here. The tube and fins are original but I upgraded the mount to a 24mm one and I replaced the lander with an egg cone long ago. I've used other C11-3's from the same batch and they worked perfectly so I can't explain why this one suffered a nozzle blowout.

Sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse, but that pic has little semblance to a Estes Venus Probe (I have one on the shelf in front of my desk which I see everyday). If it is one, you've done significant changes to almost everything including the main tube and fins (unless it's a distortion from the high speed pic). Here is a stock VP pic:
es_2120.jpg

Again apologies, but I'm just a bit perplexed and my mind hurts. ;)

image.jpgimage.jpgI think these pictures will clear things up. My Venus Probe has undergone upgrades and modifications over the years, including fin replacements. The telltale lander leg retainer ring around the bodytube remains.

I think these pictures will clear things up. My Venus Probe has undergone upgrades and modifications over the years, including fin replacements. The telltale lander leg retainer ring around the bodytube remains.

That does explain things! Thanks! :)

BTW - do contact Estes...they'll likely send you replacement motors and additionally they'll have some record of the problem and if it is a widespread one, they can issue a recall notice, thus saving others from any rocket loss. The two times I've contacted them about some rocket motor issue, they sent me replacement motors.

Back