Juice Bottle motor retention

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
Lordy i can be bored at times

After installing a slimline screw on motor retention i kept thinking "looks like a bottle neck"

well we have a HUGE bulk packages of these apple juice bottle cartons and i just had to try...

im curious as to how hot the aft closure (if that is the correct side? :p ) on the AT 29 casings gets... i wouldn't want the plastic cap being melted

heres one that i was just fooling around with... sanded it on my drill press and left a little ridge in the middle to keep it from going too far (just like the slimline)

pics:

one|two|three|four|five

would this be safe to use? if so i think i have enough motor retainers for a lifetime :D

thanks

--sheeepy

I would think that the cap would melt to the motor and the threads on the bottle part. Then you'll be tearing it out.

Originally posted by Phil125
I would think that the cap would melt to the motor and the threads on the bottle part. Then you'll be tearing it out.

Yeah, I also cast my vote in favor of "it's gonna get too hot to last". :rolleyes:

Keep plugging away at the idea though. Good idea, just need a more robust material to do it with...

HTH,

great idea but I understand about bordom i come up with weird stuff too but I do agree its gonna get HOT and melt

Originally posted by Bowhunter
great idea but I understand about bordom i come up with weird stuff too but I do agree its gonna get HOT and melt

It'll probably fly.

It'll probably melt on the way down and laminate a used motor into the tube. Not pretty.

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
well we have a HUGE bulk packages of these apple juice bottle cartons and i just had to try...

I've got a rocket that has plastic bottle cap retention. I've flown it at least a dozen times on single use 29mm and AT reloads. It works very well. The rocket usually flies on F20s and F40s. After I did that, a few more guys in the rocket club tried it with other bottle caps. I've not seen one fail (or melt) yet.

Mine was made from a 3 liter Shasta soft drink top. I had to hog out the throat of the 3 liter bottle to fit over a 29mm paper tube, but it works great. What black residue there is on the bottom of the cap is from the back blast from the pad.

urbanek

i guess ill just try it in the backyard one day... since the only part that would touch the actual aft end would be the white cap and a small part of the neck maybe i could put a thin layer of jbweld on the stuff to make it alittle more heat resistant

Back