Jr. Level One Cert?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$75 isnt to bad. But don't expect to do any HPR flying with that. It took me a good 3 summer months of lawn mowing to save up for L2/3 size projects/motors.

Ben

Yea, that's going to suck for me, In Idaho it's only legal to hire people under 18 when it doesn't conflict with school, I.E weekends and summers, and they can only work something like 4 hours.

So if I work for the 3 months of summer vacation minus weekends ( If I didn't work them) would leave me at 84 days of working 4 hours a day at minimum wage, $7.25 an hour I'd be a little under $2500 before taxes were removed. There is also a limit to how many hours I can work a week, but I don't remember what it is and that's enough math for now :roll:

I mean im guessing its 18 and under range. Theres just a select few members who have never heard the phrase "use your rescources". TRF search, then google, if those two dont lend any results then it warrants asking.

Im just tired of seeing pointless threads "whats the true meaning of 'the' " I mean come on?

Ben
There's nothing wrong with goofing off every now and then..... The big bertha started quite a buzz but there are worse for example search for the "word association" thread under the watering hole

I don't acctually want to do anything with the cert.... On second thought flying "f" doesn't seem to bad

lol So you think...

"Dad, check this out.. E motors! those are huge!"

"Dad check this out.. Composite E motors"

"Dad, E motors are lame.. Check this out, F motors! 29mm!"

"Look, they have G motors too! F motors are wimpy!"

"Wow! You can put two G motors in this rocket! Let's get it!"

"Cool, I can get my L1! If you get yours too, we can fly H motors!"

"Why would you want to fly H motors if we can get I motors?"

"WHOOOAA! Composite two stage!"

"Dad, a scale Ares would be cool, but my design needs a J!"

"We can put Js in the I motor rockets too!"

"Why put a 38mm motor mount in it if a 54mm will fit too? I can fly Ks in it later!"

Another issue is where would you even fly it in our part of the state? Do you have a high power-capable field (where you actually have permission to fly rockets powered by H and I motors) that I don't know about?

Mark K.

Were you quoting from memory, Brian? :D

And.....

Isn't that kind of how NASA works? ;)

Mark K.

Another issue is where would you even fly it in our part of the state? Do you have a high power-capable field (where you actually have permission to fly rockets powered by H and I motors) that I don't know about?

Mark K.

I do have a couple questions about Astre (well one acctually)

1 what is the standard rail/launch rod size do you guys use?
And what is a good size field for flying a H motor?

Every club is going to have standard rod sizes. There's 1/8" for up to 18mm size, 3/16" for larger 18mm and 24mm size (roughly), and 1/4" for mid-power rockets. Small HPR stuff can also fly off a 1/4" rod, but rail buttons are better, and a must for anything bigger than 2.6" rockets. https://www.railbuttons.com/rb/faq.asp

The minimum size for an H motor field is 1500' on a side IIRC, and 1500' from the nearest building. However, at least half a mile (2640') square is better. There's not a lot of them in the northeast; you might want to check out METRA: https://www.metrarocketclub.org/

Yes, mid-power flying can be very exciting. Even 18mm composite motors with the D13W put out a lot more smoke, flame and noise than a C6, and E and F motors are lots of fun. That's what most of my flying has been recently, and I love it.

There's nothing to 'prove' with flying a rocket. But if you're building rockets (in real life, not rocksim), then post about it and show pictures, and post when you fly. So far, you've done a whole lot of talking and not a lot of doing.

I realize that it's a lot easier to ask questions instead of doing the work and finding the answers yourself. But asking lots and lots of questions gets frustrating because TRF is not primarily an educational source for beginning rocketeers; that need is filled by sites like Apogee's site. It's not enjoyable when a large number of threads are just you asking beginner questions that you could find elsewhere, or a bunch of non-rocketry threads. I come to TRF for rocketry; there are other forums elsewhere if you want to talk grammar. I will continue to answer some of your questions, but if it's simple factual information, then chances are you can get it on your own.

~~~~The EGE

I do have a couple questions about Astre (well one acctually)

1 what is the standard rail/launch rod size do you guys use?
ScrapDaddy, what are standard launch rod sizes? If you don't know, look it up. You would probably know the sizes if you had ever launched a rocket.

And what is a good size field for flying a H motor?
From post #13 above:

We don't have high power flights at our launches, though, because we don't have a field that is appropriate for them.
We do not fly rockets on H motors at our launches.

Mark K.

Last edited:
I usually like to use 3/16 for all of my heavier C models and 1/4 inch lugs gor everything else I know this is overkill but the 1/8 rods seem so flexable

but the standard is
A-C is 1/8
D-F is 3/16
f-G is 1/4
rail buttons for anything larger

Last edited:
I don't acctually want to do anything with the cert.... On second thought flying "f" doesn't seem to bad and don't you have to be 18 to buy a g engine?

you can fly F and G without L1? Not sure about that age thing. I have never tecnically "bought" any motors.

Ben

You, as a minor can only buy su motors so basicly we can only buy up to a F42 I beleieve

Yes, I was. All of it took place over 3 years.

If I wasn't 16 I'd be flying L3 rockets by now.

Ben's 16 and flying an O motor soon.

There are ways, you just have to have someone involved that has the certification to fly those motors. Put both names on a flight card..

and hey presto
you just flew an L3 motor.

Where do you get that fact from?

Any reference?

Ben

Well I used logic to figure this one out, I belive you have to be 18 to buy anything that requires a hazmat fee (I think) so that crosses out the G80T and the largest Su motor I.found on apogee's webstore was the F42

Well I used logic to figure this one out, I belive you have to be 18 to buy anything that requires a hazmat fee (I think) so that crosses out the G80T and the largest Su motor I.found on apogee's webstore was the F42

Well that logic is partly flawed.

Aerotech (and most other companies) do state you need to be 18 to purchase reloads. It has nothing to do with hazmat fees as why you can purchase reloads.

Ben

I usually like to use 3/16 for all of my heavier C models and 1/4 inch lugs gor everything else I know this is overkill but the 1/8 rods seem so flexable

but the standard is
A-C is 1/8
D-F is 3/16
f-G is 1/4
rail buttons for anything larger
Now is a good time for you to tell us all a bit about yourself. We are all pretty much familiar with each others' stories, but we know next to nothing about yours.

How old are you?
When did you begin flying model rockets?
What attracted you to the hobby and how did you get started?
Do you have a fleet of rockets? If so, which ones do you have, specifically? Do you have any pictures?
Which rockets have you actually flown? What types of rockets do you like?
Where do you launch your rockets?
What launch equipment do you use?
Do you launch your rockets by yourself, or do you do it with a group of friends? With anyone in your family?
Have you ever been a member of a rocket club? Are you a member of NAR or TRA?
What rocket motors have you used? Where do you usually buy them?

This is just a start. You really need to start talking specifically about what you have done in rocketry, about how much experience you have. Without that, no one here knows if you are for real or if you are just a poseur. It's OK if you have only a little bit of experience, or none at all. Just be honest. Introduce yourself.

Mark K.

Last edited:
How old are you?

I am 12 years old

may of 2008

at the time i was deeply fascinated with aviation and i had a whole fleet of RC airplanes, including the Estes Hyper-X, it was the first time i heard of the name "ESTES" and one night i just saw an Estes moon mutt starter set for only $10 dollars so i picked it up, along with a pack of Mini Motors a bought about 3 of them because i kept loosing it in the bushes

Do you have a fleet of rockets? If so, which ones do you have, specifically?
Right now I Have A Fleet of Rockets Ranging from LPR-MPR (some scratch)

ESTES: Moon mutt, SkyTrax, Athena, Ex-200, skywriter ,big Daddy (i only buy estes kits when they are at my local walmart, as i believe it is not worth waiting a few day for shipping i mean they have some nice kits but they are a shadow of their former glory)
APOGEE: Heli-roc, Dimondback, Blue Streak, and the breathtaking aspire
QUEST:Courier
Sunward: Cfx Six footer, Gravity Rider (almost done) Khufu's pyramid, eruption
Starlight: Micro, Spike
Madcow: Honest John (fiberglass)

Scratch: 18mm 15ft super-roc, 5X18mm 4inch diameter Fat boy

Do you have any pictures?

No, I (and not of my family) have a camera and the closest thing to one is my dads Iphone But he Works full time in the restaurant business so he isnt home till Like 12 am

I have Flown All of Them EXCEPT the aspire looking for a larger field:D) i Like Rockets that take thing to the extremes and ones that are different like Super-rocs, fat boys, heli- recovery, clusters, and things that look like toilets

I launch in The 2000ftX5000Ft corn feild at The ACC collage

I use mainly my Fullboost along with my Mantis (but i also have the standard estes stuff)

Do you launch your rockets by yourself, or do you do it with a group of friends? With anyone in your family?

I tend to launch alone with a couple watching eyes but my family thinks that rocketry is a waste of my time and money

No i have Not But I am trying to convince my dad into signing me up to join the NAR

i have used Motors such as
Estes: A8, B6,C6
Areotech: D21, E25 and F42
Apogee: D10

i buy My Stuff mainly from apogee but sometimes i dabble on the CWD website the smaller motors i stick with Valurerockets.com

Last edited:
Now is a good time for you to tell us all a bit about yourself. We are all pretty much familiar with each others' stories, but we know next to nothing about yours.

How old are you?
Do you have a fleet of rockets? If so, which ones do you have, specifically? Do you have any pictures?

This is just a start. You really need to start talking specifically about what you have done in rocketry, about how much experience you have. Without that, no one here knows if you are for real or if you are just a poseur. It's OK if you have only a little bit of experience, or none at all. Just be honest. Introduce yourself.

Mark K.

Is that Enough For my fellow rocketeers?

Last edited:
Yes, I have my Jr L1 cert.

Ben's 16 and flying an O motor soon.

Ben is lucky. My dad is not interested in L3. (for good reason, those motors cost more than the rockets we lauch) I feel lucky that I can get him into L2. (only Js for now) I have 2 years left until I can get my L2/3, so I will wait.

Yes, I have my Jr L1 cert.

Ben is lucky. My dad is not interested in L3. (for good reason, those motors cost more than the rockets we lauch) I feel lucky that I can get him into L2. (only Js for now) I have 2 years left until I can get my L2/3, so I will wait.

I am EXTREMELY lucky. I cant put into words how lucky I am. We just blew up an O motor today. First thing he says is "thats why they call it experimental". $hit happens.

Scrap daddy, I mean this in the nicest of ways, I am calling Bull on some of your facts. Either you are EXTREMELY smart for your age (even more than I was) or you are making some of these up. Im sorry but somethings just not adding up..........

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
I am EXTREMELY lucky. I cant put into words how lucky I am. We just blew up an O motor today. First thing he says is "thats why they call it experimental". $hit happens.

Scrap daddy, I mean this in the nicest of ways, I am calling Bull on some of your facts. Either you are EXTREMELY smart for your age (even more than I was) or you are making some of these up. Im sorry but somethings just not adding up..........

Ben

Yes I am accdemicly gifted I am 2 years ahead in mathamatics and I am in the high honors roll 95+ my faverite shows are mythbusters, air emergency and dogfights (not litterally just the war term) in some areas I am a compleate idiot, hence why my friends call me the oxymoron... In rocketry I can honestly
say I have learned everything I know from TRF and apogee's website... Therefore i hereby pronouse myself a rocketry oxymoron (mostly the moron part)

you ask some very simplistic questions, you start (almost) pointless threads, but you have all these rockets, and such. Even a Mantis pad?!

Ben

You have to note that i only started to use TRF seriously aabout 2 monthes ago, before that I relied compleatly on the info on apogee's website and I figured out it would be cheaper to buy the good stuff first (ex. Buying a 12volt launch contoler insted of buying a 6v then a 12v) apogeee then showed me the valuerockts website where you could get the intiator package for only$99 which is a bargon because on apogee's
webpage it is over 180 dollars. I am one of those people who likes to get an object that can multi task

Back