JonRocket.com - Back Soon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I've been running my own web server for about 10 years. During that time, my server was never off-line for more than a couple of hours at a time.

I have the server located at one of the largest hosts in the world. The server is housed in a huge data center. In case of a power failure, the data center has large generators that kick in automatically. These things are the size of semi-truck trailers. The data centers are designed to work through hurricanes or floods.

Nevertheless, a couple of days ago the power went out in the section housing my server and the switch to the generators failed. When the power was restored, my server reported a file system error due to the unexpected shutdown. It started running a program to repair the file system. The repair ran into a problem, so I took the server off-line and backed up everything from it. The server has 500GB of disk space, so that took some time. Then I restarted the repair process. It has been running for hours.

If the repair is successful, the JonRocket.com web site (and my other sites including PayloadBay.com) should be back online shortly. If the repair fails, it will take longer since I will have to rebuild the server then manually restore the sites one at a time.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

-- Roger

We're back! The server is back online. I'm watching it closely, but it appears to be running correctly. The damaged files all seemed to have been in a directory where the server caches images, so they aren't important.

Our "Grand Re-Opening Sale" is ... o`1u232 sorry .. our cat is trying to get my attenti`ion` while I'm typing ... she's biting my fINGERS To get ne to pay with her instead f the comuter ....

... okay ... she's gone. She got bored with me, I guess.

Anyway .. our "Grand Re-Opening Sale" is entering its last week. We have 20% off using the coupon code RELAUNCH. Plus, free shipping is offered on orders over $40. See the site for details.

-- Roger (with Nilly's help)
jonrocket.com

Back