Jonny Quest "Dragonfly III"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got up at the crack of dawn today and took on the challenge. Yesterday I took time and poked tiny holes in all the bubbles I could find . I next sanded the surface down with 100 grit. Any areas that might give me problems I took the attitude of "WHEN IN DOUBT, SAND IT OUT". The temps were cool and the sun was not over the tree line so I had some time on my hand. First I masked off the areas just outside the wing root area. I don't want to sand the resin against the soft foam so I'll just make this some kind of panel line..---20160921_080739.jpg20160921_080748.jpg---I next mixed up a batch of resin "HOT" and applied it to the top surfaces first--20160921_081526.jpg20160921_081534.jpg---I pulled the masking tape before the resin began to set--I had to work fast. Next I hit the bottom --20160921_090009.jpg--followed by the nose--20160921_102737.jpg---The rocket got two applications of resin..All in all it came out pretty smooth. The only areas that might require a little sanding effort are where I overlapped the resin or did a spot touch up!!. I did put three coats on the shoulder of the nose so I can start working out that problem. Later tonight I'll get the lug aligned and epoxied in.Over the next couple of days I'll surface sand the rocket--AGAIN--. It does appear that this process worked although this added weight that I could have done without--More later---H

I couldn't wait to start sanding--yea right--It looks like I was successful !! I hit the body and cone with 100 grit to knock down the brush strokes and high spots. I'll follow that up over the next couple days with 220 to smooth things out and then we can prime. I also sanded the shoulder smooth and now have a much better fit --if not a bit tight--I can work on that!! I had added extra resin to the faces where the two halves meet. It was a little to delicate for my taste and is now much more durable. Over all a successful day--time for a glass or two of wine to celebrate!!---H

Well, after the events of the last few days I took a break from reality and worked on the JQ.I had already gotten a couple of good coats of primer on it and that has set for a few days. After some block sanding and filling it looks to be almost there. I went ahead and epoxied the leading edge on the wings as well as the wing tips. I sanded the leading edge round and filled the seams. Over all I'm pleased with the results and should get a final coat of primer on tonight!!---20160929_105852.jpg20160929_105908.jpg20160929_132705.jpg20160929_132721.jpg I also mounted the canards. After thinking about it for a while I decided to move them back and use them to help align the nose. While the original Dragonfly had them mounted well forward--this isn't the original---and from a rocket point of view it's a better position. I used a flexible steel ruler to align them with the main wing. It was just a matter of laying the ruler flat against the main wing and marking a line along the top of the ruler. This assured that the canards were perfectly aligned with the main wing and air stream . I used my rotary tool to cut the slots in the skin and foam core. I also gave them some dihedral just for kicks and giggles----20160929_154346.jpg20160929_154354.jpg20160929_154849.jpg20160929_154904.jpg---still a long way to go but I'm getting closer! More later--H

I got a little work done on the JQ today.One problem I had was the gap around the canards in the rear half. This needed to be a fairly tight fit. I decided to use some Alex Plus painters caulk. It dries a little flexible but hard unlike silicone and it can be painted. First step was to wrap the canards with wax paper and insert the nose---20161004_090135.jpg--next it was just a matter of applying the caulk--20161004_102504.jpg---I used the quik dry formula and was able to remove the nose after about thirty minutes---20161004_135445.jpg--The resulting edges were a little rough but cleaned up nicely with a pair of scissors!--20161004_135517.jpg20161004_135526.jpg---After a refit it looks pretty good, now I just need to run some fillets along the front half---20161004_135747.jpg---I also started to put a coat of white primer on the rocket. I used Rusto's 2X sand-able white. It's the first time I've used it and it sprays like crap as does the other 2x products but if it sands out ok I'll give it a pass----20161004_151753.jpg---With any luck at all I'll be getting the first coats of paint on this weekend---Later--H

Love the canards on the nose slotted into the body tube. I'm a big fan of accomplishing two purposes outstandingly well with one technique. Give you the canards for purpose of "cool factor" and approximately matching the original Dragonfly, and at the same time stabilizes the nose cone and guides it out "straight" at ejection.

I'm guessing this solves the Jimmy Durante drooping nose problem.

BRAVO!

Love the canards on the nose slotted into the body tube. I'm a big fan of accomplishing two purposes outstandingly well with one technique. Give you the canards for purpose of "cool factor" and approximately matching the original Dragonfly, and at the same time stabilizes the nose cone and guides it out "straight" at ejection.

I'm guessing this solves the Jimmy Durante drooping nose problem.

BRAVO!
Yep !! took care of the droopy nose as well !! Just a quick update. I'm gonna give this 2X White primer a thumbs up. It seems to dry a little faster than the grey and sands out nicely with both wet or dry. In fact I'm gonna step away from wet/moist sanding this one and do it up dry!!

Yep !! took care of the droopy nose as well !! Just a quick update. I'm gonna give this 2X White primer a thumbs up. It seems to dry a little faster than the grey and sands out nicely with both wet or dry. In fact I'm gonna step away from wet/moist sanding this one and do it up dry!!

Question on white versus grey primer.
Whenever I use grey, it seems unless my final color is black or grey, the final color looks dreary. When you DO Use grey but are going with a final light or bright color, do you do a coat of white in between?

In the past I've always just used grey with a fogged on , darker, guide coat before final sanding. Really, the only time I use white is for a white or yellow rocket. Because of the amount of clear in them, metallics tend to POP better with white primer.--H

I tinkered a bit with the Dragonfly today and yesterday. A lot of priming and sanding but I did get some work on the nose done. I figured the tip of the nose was going to take a beating so just foam with a resin skin was not going to last. My solution was to epoxy a 1/2 oz bullet weight on to a bamboo skewer and then epoxy that into the foam core of the nose. This would give be a hard , impact resistant tip and a shape that I could work off of and fill to match the lines of the nose.---20161007_063152.jpg--after some filling and sanding--20161007_125733.jpg---now it's starting to look like something--20161007_222726.jpg---here is a before and after of the nose--20160821_153828.jpg--20161007_222832.jpg--20161007_222708.jpg---you may notice a small crack along the tip. That's actually an epoxy seam that I sanded into. There's still a ton to do but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel..---H

The cone was ready for paint! I figured I'd spray the dark areas first and then mask and spray the white. ---20161010_193514.jpg--20161011_061727.jpg--20161011_063004.jpg--Once the windscreen was masked off I re-sprayed the black to take care of the little cut marks I made and then finished the masking of the tip--20161011_072141.jpg----I didn't harbor any illusions that it wouldn't need some touch up---I wasn't disappointed---20161011_130716.jpg---And after a little clean up I'm pretty happy--20161011_171257.jpg20161011_171304.jpg---It's sort of reminiscent of the B-66 windscreen. I'll continue to work out details on the nose and hope to get the first coats of paint on the rest of the rocket tomorrow !! Later--H

Early in 2014, U.S. spy drones began to fall from the sky at alarming rates and for no apparent reason. It seemed the Para Power Ray, developed in the late 60's was to blame. The nefarious Dr, Zin had stolen part of the plans for the the weapon decades ago but, he was dead, killed in a freak accident at a Tibetan monastery.It seemed his son, Erik Schvnn Zin, the mother was Swedish, Had pursued his fathers work and after over forty years was able to figure out it's secrets. More later--H

Finally, the white paint is on as well as a coat of 2x clear gloss.It was warm out today but windy. I did get just a few specks of dust in a couple places but those are easily taken care of later. There is still a lot to do but at least we got it painted before the weather goes belly up!! I'll let this sit for a couple days and then dig back into it. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter !!---20161015_153508.jpg--20161015_153521.jpg--20161015_153543.jpg----More to come, Later,H

So, I'm at a point now where I need to start thinking about the final colors on this bird. Honestly, I've been thinking about it from the beginning. While all white follows the spirit of the cartoon, it is a bit bland. I've thought about the big Q on the tail. I like that idea but it seems a bit too easy---but I can imagine it!! I'm staying away from any military markings. The JQ on the tail seems a bit over the top but with just a Q it could be the prototype. I've thought about an American flag of some sort on the tail but this might be a case of less is more. What do ya'll think? Ideas-comments----H

I too, think more is less with this. Some windows and some panel lines is where I'd go.

I too, think more is less with this. Some windows and some panel lines is where I'd go.

I figure you meant less is more and that's the direction I'm leaning toward ! A couple more windows in sensible places and maybe some panel lines mainly along the control surfaces should do the trick.---20161015_165342.jpg--20161015_165451.jpg--20161015_165526.jpg--20161015_165534.jpg

Looks great, as expected.
Really like the nose. You could used the same design for a sea gull looking glider.
When is the launch date?

It really looks cool. I would go with less and in keeping with the original show. I am wondering how well it will fly as a model rocket. How did your "Beast from 20 Million Miles" fly?

Looks great, as expected.
Really like the nose. You could used the same design for a sea gull looking glider.
When is the launch date?
Thank you sir, I know I had you waiting for this one for a while. I still have a few little things to do So I don't expect to get it up for another month especially with the three W's--weather, wind and work. I haven't even had a chance to get the 104 up yet!!

It really looks cool. I would go with less and in keeping with the original show. I am wondering how well it will fly as a model rocket. How did your "Beast from 20 Million Miles" fly?
Thanks, I suspect it's a little overstable. As far as the 20 Mill is concerned. I've flown it a couple times. It flew fine but the cone got a little damage on the first flight. It had a tiny/shallow half moon shape in the side of the aeroskin, which is really, really thin. I suspect it was hit by the lower half during recovery. It's really not bad and you have to look for it. Also snapped of about a half inch of the tip of the nose. Just have not fixed that yet so for the moment she's a hanger queen. That broken tip is what prompted me to make the tip of the JQ the way I did. ---H

Finished rocket looks really nice. I like the canopy/nose, it's very similar to my B-58 Hustler cockpit...
What is your AUW rtf?

Frank

Finished rocket looks really nice. I like the canopy/nose, it's very similar to my B-58 Hustler cockpit...
What is your AUW rtf?

Frank

All up is at 47 oz. It's doable with a SU but the available delays put it on the edge. It's really draggy! I'm likely looking at reloads for this one. Since I don't have a ton of experience with them I'll throw together something to practice with first so I can get ahead of the curve again. The Dragonfly is not done yet but I only have detail stuff to do. The actual all up may be a little less since I don't have the recovery gear in my hands yet and I over estimated that weight. I'm not worried about a dramatic CG shift since the gear is so close to the CG. In retrospect--If I had the money and time--I'd likely build it as a mold and cut it up and Vacu-form it. I'm pretty sure you could get the weight down to RBG levels.

Just a heads up. I've laid off the build for a couple weeks. Between a death in the family and the crazy "tis the season" work schedule, I've been a bit busy. I am off tomorrow and plan to get something done on the JQ--BUT--First I'm going fishing in the morning. I need to decompress.--H

Just an update--The project is on "HOLD" until after the holiday season. I'm in retail management so as you can imagine , things are a bit busy. Status: 90 % complete. Timeline: will restart on or near Jan 1 and complete by Jan 15. After that all bets are off since we have to go through a major three month remodel at work!! Thanks for viewing and stay tuned.. Straight shots and clear skies to all of you and have a Merry Christmas---H

Did you ever get to finish and fly this?

Asking because I remembered it last night when a customer was asking for something similar to the dragonfly III, that could be an rc rg...I hacked up a quick openrocket example of what I thought I could do with the parts I ahve, and that would be actually easily buildable and flyable and came up with this, the tail would be matching the original, but the wings I'd need to keep like I have them to enough area be stiff enough when built out of foam. I had to ditch the bottom scoop since will take too much landing abuse and get in the way of well spaced rail buttons, and we'll add a canopy out of carved foam. To make CG come out naturally I'll may have to play with length a bit to shorten it.

questsst-04.jpg

johnnyquest.JPG

Last edited:
Did you ever get to finish and fly this?

Asking because I remembered it last night when a customer was asking for something similar to the dragonfly III, that could be an rc rg...I hacked up a quick openrocket example of what I thought I could do with the parts I ahve, and that would be actually easily buildable and flyable and came up with this, the tail would be matching the original, but the wings I'd need to keep like I have them to enough area be stiff enough when built out of foam. I had to ditch the bottom scoop since will take too much landing abuse and get in the way of well spaced rail buttons, and we'll add a canopy out of carved foam. To make CG come out naturally I'll may have to play with length a bit to shorten it.

No I've been totally out of the building mode since my last post. Frankly life is having a time with me right now! Pretty hard to get motivated to do much of anything. I'll get back on it pretty soon. I'm about 98% complete and ready to start my Herc, just gotta catch a break!---H

Your builds are missed. Hope life takes a turn for the better and we see you back in the saddle again!
Tom

No I've been totally out of the building mode since my last post. Frankly life is having a time with me right now! Pretty hard to get motivated to do much of anything. I'll get back on it pretty soon. I'm about 98% complete and ready to start my Herc, just gotta catch a break!---H

Amazing to see the build go from some blocks of foam to this. Really impressed with the home made tool solutions like the bottle corer and flap sander--pure genius. Your build is quite a masterpiece at this point. Hope things get better for you soon.

My customer got his prototype RC RG I created for him assembled, here it is.....ready to fly.

Attachments

• 20171121_223336.jpg
    20171121_223336.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 68
Back