Jolly Logic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
FlightGraph.jpgView attachment FlightReport.xlsxI can't say enough about the customer service and the good will John Beans has accrued by his extremely kind deed. I recently bought a Jolly Logic Chute Release and on its first flight, in which it worked flawlessely, my rocket landed in the creek at Snow Ranch. John saw my hard luck post and told me to send the unit back to him and he would fix the unit. Today, I got what can only be a brand new unit, with all its accessories. This is just 5 days after I dropped off the damaged unit off at the Post Office. This is certainly not something I would expect of a vendor, but is very much appreciated by me and I want everybody to know about it. I purchased a back-up unit just in case, lol.

Today, I flew 4 rockets at the new SARG site in Galt and the three flights in which my ejection charge functioned properly, the Jolly Logic chute release was flawless in its performance, releasing my parachutes at 300'. Even my one failure of deployment, the Jolly Logic unit released my parachute inside the body tube.

This is a product that I would highly recommend for all your mid-power rockets and many high power rockets that are not too heavy. I personally don't know what weight cut-off point to recommend, but perhaps Jolly Logic has their own opinion. I have been able to easily fit the unit into a 1.9" body tube, which (for me) makes the unit perfect for all my Aerotech mid-power rockets. I have also successfully used this unit on some of the Madcow 2.6" thin-wall fiberglass rockets (Nike Smoke, Honest John).

I do know that, in the future I will be more careful as to where I adjust the launch rod at Snow Ranch launches (away from the creek), because I know John can't keep replacing units like he did mine.

Almost forgot, I bought the Altimeter 3 and used it today on all my launches. It was really cool to be able to download the data from the unit onto my Iphone after each recovery. Logging the specifics of each launch manually helps to create the full picture of each launch of any particular rocket and has re-ignited my interest in flying my mid-power rockets. Looking forward to compiling data on every one of my Aerotech mid-power rockets on every appropriate motor.

Last edited:
How about posting some descent rate info for the benefit of others? Data like rocket descent mass, main deployment velocity, resulting descent rate, and estimated landing distance from the pad... I'd be interested in seeing it.

I'm using my CR for the first time this weekend with my FG Honest John 2.6 coupled to a CTI H163, a 42" Fruity elliptical chute, with CR set to 400'. Once I get used to the deployment delay time for a particular rocket configuration, I'll lower the CR setting.

I added the information my altimeter 3 provides. Hope it's enough, for it's all this skimmer has.

Thanks. I was able to determine the descent rates before and after deployment using a couple of fairly linear graph sections - 42.5 FPS & 18.4FPS.

You passed up my skimmer comment. When I was in the Navy, submariners were bubbleheads and surface fleet were skimmers.

Oh yeah, U.S.S. Turner Joy DD-951

Last edited:
LOL, coming from the carrier fleet, bubbleheads used to just call us 'targets' :)

Try being part of a Service Squadron (SERVRON3) tankers etc. We "were" targets. It is never fun watching torpedoes passing under your hull. :shock::y:

Back