Jolly Logic w/ 2 Chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powderman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm still fairly new and learning.
I've got an PML IO that I'd like to get up around 6K ft. To do this I want to use a chute release and 2 chutes...one smaller chute that opens off of the motor ejection and a larger main chute that opens at 500ft off of a Chute Release.

My question is this: where is the best attachment point for my smaller chute to not get tangled with everything else? My first thought is right off the nosecone...what do you guys think?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Powderman

You certainly don't need 2 chutes, especially with something as small as an IO. The CR/packed chute will act like a streamer slowing your rocket enough to safely deploy at your desired altitude.

I agree that you dont need 2 chutes but might be fun to do it that way and cool to watch it all "unfold" - little pun there. I would have the smaller first chute below the Jolly logic bits so that the bundle is "hanging" and has a little more "moment" when the rubber band lets go.

In typical dual deploy setups, the drogue parachute is aft of the electronics bay and the main is forward of the bay. You could replicate that by putting the smaller parachute aft, nearest the motor and have the JLCR forward near the nosecone. I think that the IO is light enough and small enough that the shockcord and JLCR would act like a streamer and you don't need the second parachute.

I use a JLCR with a Calisto. I just wrap the chute and fly. The wrapped chute supplies enough drag to have the rocket fall fins first. I think this is actually faster than any DD I use. I've set the deploy altitude as low as 100 ft. It always works, but I started to worry about the heart conditions of some of the LCOs and started setting it at 200 ft. instead.

Thank you all for the time and your replies. It sounds like a single chute is the way to go.

I'll keep you posted on results.

Powderman

generally, the best way to have failure is to complicate matters.

KISS goes a long way in rocketry. the most elegant solution is generally the simplest, and the one with the least chances of messing it up.

Hey guys, I just wanted to post an update. Since this initial post I've put a half dozen flights on my IO with G77s, H128s, and an H220T...all have been flown with a chute release set for 500ft with great results.

Thanks for the advice.

Back