Jolly Logic Chute Release

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Just need to expand on it. I know you have FAQs on the altimeters, but I don't know about the chute release.

I regularly hear how people do a test - and then forget to turn the Chute Release back on. I don't think you point that out in the manual. It's just these little things that lead to a recovery failure.

I think it would be impossible to warn against every possible human error in a user guide. Humorous maybe, but not possible. (Do not eat this product, etc)

This is how I setup my Chute Release on my Phoenix. The nose weight brings the rocket down nose cone first - and darn fast too. 25 ft. harness and 50" chute. After watching a few tense recoveries I found this arrangement works perfect every time with the Chute Release.

View attachment 432412
Hello, any chance of several Zoomed in pics that show how the JLCR and chute is attached to the cord In your setup?
Thank you 😊

"Land Shark" - 🤣 That's a new one for me! But our thoughts on the energy containment issue were similar.
Land Shark, Cruise Missile call it what you like but really interesting when you are close to an hp Land Shark. Most interesting Cruise Missile I've seen was John Cato's (yes that is a real last name) Nike Ajax IIRC launched at the GA sod farm close to his house. I think it was the first flight so lower power motors were selected. Back then there was no OR or other easy way to determine the motors you needed. The booster was under powered and the sustainer was on a timer so it was near horizontal when it lit at a low level. Lots of big eyes in the crowd. Interesting times. IIRC there was also a first flight of a large fiberglass rocket with a big motor in it that did a low level skywriting show. :eek:
Sorry for the thread hijack, I'll go away now. ;)

Oh I experienced a cruise missile myself when I was young - a friend brought this homemade monstrosity to launch with me once (just us, no club or anything) and you look at it and think "that ain't gonna fly..." But he insisted it was stable, and it was... after it got up to speed, by which time it was off the rod and nicly horizontal. It landed in a fellow's yard near the schoolyard ball field we were launching from - he was not happy! (I'll quit threadjacking as well, sorry!)

and today ... my last flight of the day on my micro magg ... came down most beautiful... chute release at 400' ... and i picked it up, brought it back, and was packing it away .. when I noticed that my JLCR was missing... I forgot to tie it to the shock cord.

spank me now while i'm crying
The several foot long 100# Kevlar lanyard I have attached to my JLCR gets attached to the shock cord long before I wrap the chute with it.

This is just part of my fundamental procedure for the reliable operation of the recovery system.

and today ... my last flight of the day on my micro magg ... came down most beautiful... chute release at 400' ... and i picked it up, brought it back, and was packing it away .. when I noticed that my JLCR was missing... I forgot to tie it to the shock cord.

I’ve done that... 2X. Always end up buying another. To me it’s an incredibly important part of flying until you do DD and less of a hassle by far.

The several foot long 100# Kevlar lanyard I have attached to my JLCR gets attached to the shock cord long before I wrap the chute with it.
perhaps a long cord on it would be more obvious to attach it. I will do that. although.. .I dont think I will ever forget again.

I’ve done that... 2X. Always end up buying another.
It's not just me. I dont feel quite so bad now.

The last entry is the most important one for when you THINK you have done everything...
Definitely. My checklists have a "Check all previous items have been checked" in a couple of locations. I have also been known to add "Take a deep breath and relax" and also "Take pictures".

Normally I prefer to give a camera to somebody else and just get them to take the pics, especially for things like certification flights.

+1 on handing off the photographic work.

Capt Low-N-Slow used to bring an assistant to the launches. They both took wonderful pictures of our activities.

If not for them I’d have NO launch or action pictures at all.

My pictures were all static shots.

I had a thought about this.. i could make the checklist, and then laminate it or just cover it with packing tape, then you could use dry erase markers to actually check it off... and then wipe it clean for the next round

I did that once. found it though.

I have flown several times in a 38mm body tube. To me, the most important part of being successful at less than 2"/54mm is to make absolutely sure that there is a layer of something slippery (Nomex, chute material, wadding, whatever) between the JLCR and the body tube. Otherwise it tends to hang up.

In general use, you want the burrito to be tight and smooth. If it is loose enough to start folding around your JLCR band, it may not release properly. I'll have to look for silicone bands, too.

The Chute Release is fine the way it is. My only failure mode has been when I didn't pack the chute & shock cord well enough, and it got tangled despite the chute release working. Power-off after releasing the pin makes sense, works the same way on the ground as it does in the air. I now have 2 in case of a mishap (forgot to charge, water landing/need to dry), so I can continue flying. I do like slightly more raised button of my newer one.

For those already using a JLCR, what’s the smallest diameter body tube you can use it with? Also, what’s the lowest powered engine you’ve launched with a JLCR aboard?

I've put one in an Estes Vagabond, which is a BT-60 body tube. Takes some careful packing of the 'chute, but it will fit.

I would also advise permanently attaching a brightly colored streamer or other material to the JLCR so that it should happen to become detached from the rocket, you have a prayer of locating it. I just bought a replacement yesterday for the one I lost about two years ago because I forgot to tether it to the recovery harness. Even though I had it in a brightly colored Dino Chutes protector, the small size of the JLCR makes trying to find it like looking for a needle in a haystack.

For those already using a JLCR, what’s the smallest diameter body tube you can use it with? Also, what’s the lowest powered engine you’ve launched with a JLCR aboard?

I've flown mine twice in a Baby Bertha in my front yard on an Estes B motor, don't remember if it was B4 or B6.

Back