Jolly Logic Chute Release Glitch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old School Doug

Unwilling participant in the idiocracy.
Reaction score
I did a quick search and I didn't see if this problem happened to anyone else.

I last used my chute release in September. Tonight I was making sure everything electronic in my launch box was fully charged and ready for a quick launch tomorrow afternoon. When I power it up I get a single flashing LED in the battery field and another in the altitude field. Then all the battery LEDs illuminate but I get no LED in the altitude field and neither button will effect an altitude setting. I disconnected and reconnected the battery but no joy. Anyone have a user fix for this?

Update.

Last night I decided I'd disconnect the battery and pop the circuit board into a bag of rice from my "wet kit". There really wasn't any logical reason to do this since the JLCR was stored in the range box in the basement of my home (finished basement/low humidity) but I figured why not. Well this morning I put the battery back in and it is now operating normally. I'm good to go for this afternoon but I'll definitely take Joe's advice and reach out to Jolly Logic directly.

If you'd removed the battery and left the (intact) device on a table overnight it would probably have had the same effect. In fact, leaving it for ten minutes would likely have been enough.

Emailing Jolly Logic is probably more for their sake than yours. It lets them know that their circuitry and/or firmware is subject to this, and that a complete power let-down fixed it. What you did, called "remedial action" in my world, is probably all you'll ever need, but they will want to take "corrective action", i.e. identify and fix the root cause. They can't fix a problem they don't know exists, so you'll really be helping them out.

I should have added another update. I managed to get to Bong on Monday after scrubbing Sunday due to wind. The JLCR powered up normally and the release test worked as designed. I loaded it up and set the release for 200'. Flight went to 640', popped a streamer at apogee to slow down descent and for visibility, no joy on chute deploy. When I recovered it I found the chute still bound to the JLCR and the LED lit for 200. Neither button worked and the only way to power down was by pulling the battery again. Long story short(er), I reached out to Jolly Logic and the unit is now in their hands for repair or replacement.

Latest posts

Back