Jolly Logic AltimeterTwo placement?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Allen

Reaction score
Just got an AltimeterTwo and was curious to see how and where it's installed in your rocket. I know I can clip it to the nosecone or put it into a payload bay. Does anyone have a preference on where they placed it? I'm planning on using it initially in an Estes Star Orbiter (BT-60 tube) but it will be used in 5 other rockets as well.

How large sized holes did you put into the rocket body tube for it's use? I also did get the clip mount so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

In the past, I’ve zip tied an AltimeterThree to the nose cone loop and drilled 1-2 1/8” holes for ventilation. Worked fine and was simple enough. That’s a great altimeter and as long as you have proper ventilation, it shouldn’t be too big of a problem where it’s mounted

In the past, I’ve zip tied an AltimeterThree to the nose cone loop and drilled 1-2 1/8” holes for ventilation. Worked fine and was simple enough. That’s a great altimeter and as long as you have proper ventilation, it shouldn’t be too big of a problem where it’s mounted

I'm probably going to do similar installation to the nosecone. I do have an installed ejection charge baffle midway on the Star Orbiter so that will help keep it protected. I think the clip mount might be more suitable for a payload bay.

I have gotten two of the Star Orbiter kits - one complete kit as a sustainer, the other I cut down the slotted body tube just after the fins and made a booster out it. I left out the aft motor centering ring on the sustainer so the booster can slide in using a coupler. Planning on using an F-15-0 for the booster and F-15-6(8) for the sustainer. I have a HUGE launch area in BLM lands in Southern Colorado and this build was the reason I needed to get the altimeter. I already know it's going to go VERY high but I want to know exactly HOW high and how fast.

Probably my next JL purchase will be the chute release. :)

That’s awesome! Can’t go wrong with that. It’s my belief that any flight above 2500 feet should have a JLCR or some form of dual deploy. Finding rockets can become a daunting task, especially when so much work is put into them. Best of luck!

That’s awesome! Can’t go wrong with that. It’s my belief that any flight above 2500 feet should have a JLCR or some form of dual deploy. Finding rockets can become a daunting task, especially when so much work is put into them. Best of luck!

Well, that is the one issue preventing me from going to G motors - that it might be too high, chute is deployed at high altitude, drifts and I never see it again. I could do my old trick on previous cheap Estes chutes, cutting a quarter-sized hole at top of chute so it doesn't drift as far (it works!) but it's smarter to use the JLCR and have it open the chute a lower altitude so I get the rocket back in one piece. :)

I chose the AltimeterTwo over the One because of many more data points. I need that data so I have a better understanding of what happens at Apogee. Did I choose the right delay? (for example)

I have the JL1. I use the rings for a keychain for mounting to a nose cone. Easy to take on and off to switch to other rockets. Has woorked really good so far.
I also have the JLCR and don't fly without it it above about 1000'. Hate to lose a rocket.

Back