Johnny Star Commander build thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrox

Reaction score
I have never posted a build thread before, so I thought I would do one about the Johnny Star Commander! This is a Level 3 I would say.

Here are the pieces of the wing fin:
JSCBuild001.JPG

The wing fin glued together:
JSCBuild002.JPG

The wing tip fin:
JSCBuild003.JPG

The wing tip fin attached:
JSCBuild004.JPG
Two of these are made.

The pieces of the rudder fin:
JSCBuild005.JPG

The rudder fin assembled:
JSCBuild006.JPG

The wings and rudder assembled:
JSCBuild007.JPG

If there are no more delays, I should be releasing them by my birthday in September!

Last edited:
I saw what you did there :wink: :present:

Krusty

I mean it will be a birthday present to myself. I don't want anything this year, next year is 50 however, and then I do want a big Tony Stark style party!

The wing fins ready to be attached:
JSCBuild008.JPG

One wing fin attached:
JSCBuild009.JPG

The other wing fin attached:
JSCBuild010.JPG

The scoop attached. Well, I would usually add the scoop fin first, but the glue fillet at the wing fin root edge was not dry, and the scoop kind of stuck in place since I left it there a few minutes, but it's in the right place. The scoop is slit on one side so it fits over the body tube.
JSCBuild011.jpg

Another view of the scoop:
JSCBuild012.JPG

More tomorrow.

Cool rocket! Great one for the fleet....

77dconsumerprobe2.jpg

Hell hello hello...this is Johnny Space Commander....I'm gonna land the rocket now.....

The scoop fin ready to be attached:
JSCBuild013.JPG

The scoop fin installed:
JSCBuild014.JPG

Another view of the scoop fin in place:
JSCBuild015.JPG

The launch lug ready to glued in:
JSCBuild016.JPG

The launch lug in place:
JSCBuild017.JPG
Go a little sanding to do on the scoop itself.

Shrox,
Is this the top right white kit? When will you be building the "stealth black" kit?

I am not much of a kit builder anymore but the grandkids and myself want one pre of each of these two kits. If I understand you are releasing in Sept? Thanks in advance!

Shrox,
Is this the top right white kit? When will you be building the "stealth black" kit?

I am not much of a kit builder anymore but the grandkids and myself want one pre of each of these two kits. If I understand you are releasing in Sept? Thanks in advance!

JohnnyStarCommander0001.jpg
Yes, that is the JSC (johnny Star Commander), should be available in September. The BlackFox is something I am working on with FSI, I don't have a release date for it.

View attachment 142488
Yes, that is the JSC (johnny Star Commander), should be available in September. The BlackFox is something I am working on with FSI, I don't have a release date for it.

I believe these will decidedly be "must haves" for lots of people! We like the lines......futuristic while being a viable design. Good work sir!

I believe these will decidedly be "must haves" for lots of people! We like the lines......futuristic while being a viable design. Good work sir!

You have that correct sir.....this is a must have for me !

Paul t

Can you expand on this statement? FSI? Really? Are they still with us, restarting, or a new bunch with the old name?

I am working with Dave on a HPR prototype of the BlackFox, I have never built one before, he has already built an HPR SkonkWulf from diagrams I gave him.

The under fin ready to be attached:
JSCBuild018.jpg

The under fin glued in place:
JSCBuild019.jpg

The wing rudders ready:
JSCBuild020.jpg

The wing rudders in place:
JSCBuild021.jpg

I had already glued the motor mount in place when I started this thread, so you'll see it there.

One of the top side wing rudder ready to be attached:
JSCBuild022.jpg

All wing rudder fins attached:
JSCBuild023.jpg

The main rudder ready to fit:
JSCBuild024.jpg

The main rudder glued in place:
JSCBuild025.jpg

The spline fin ready to be attached:
JSCBuild026.jpg

And attached it is:
JSCBuild027.jpg

The antenna dowels ready to be attached:
JSCBuild028.jpg

Antennas in place:
JSCBuild029.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the snap swivel and parachute attachment, here they are already installed:
JSCBuild030.jpg
JSCBuild031.jpg

Next is painting!

Awesome! Gonna place my order in the next week or so.. Great addition to my fleet!

Shrox, What do you use to seal and fill the balsa with?

The weather was nice enough yesterday to allow some painting, got some primer on. One thing about living in a northern temperate rain forest, while the temperature is low, the humidity is high, sometimes you can see your breath at 60 degrees.

JSCBuild032.jpg

JSCBuild033.jpg

Back