John Pursley RIP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't feel that I am worthy of posting this but I didn't see any other threads
This is from the NAR Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/225...Byec2dUah6H4MeGbvaFVWTWEHUO2WGvA&__tn__=<,P-R

Kay Goforth

It is with great sadness that I’m posting the death of a friend and fellow rocket enthusiast, John Lee Pursley.
Last November, John was in a horrific motorcycle accident in the Dallas area where he has lived for the last five years. He has been in the hospital since the accident and was never able to fully recover from his injuries.
John was an IT guru and had a passion for all things space related and rocketry. John was involved in restoring the Saturn V rocket housed at NASA’s Johnsons Space Center, the Space Shuttle Atlantis at Kennedy Space Center in Florida, and several other rockets at the Huntsville Space Center in Alabama. In 2005 The History Channel did a special on the restoration of the Saturn V rocket in Houston and John was consulted and interviewed for the program. The special is “Apollo: The Race Against Time” and the video is available on Vimeo. John said working on these rockets and spacecrafts was the highlight of his life.
John competed in scale modeling on a former Internats team. He was also a past editor for “Sport Rocketry.”
John was recognized worldwide for his spacecraft models. His ex-wife Connie Bear Sipp was able to visit John just a few days before his death.
God Bless you, John. You will be missed.
Connie wants to thank everyone who donated to assist John in his time of need. Plans are in the works to have John’s contribution to the sport carried on.

His passing was mentioned and commented on in the John Pursely accident thread, but not everyone may have seen that one.

Back