Quantcast

John Pursley injured in an accident

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Sluggo

Reaction score
That second link is indeed the source of my pictures. It had engine gimballing and active course control! Holy smokes, what a masterpiece, technically, structurally, and aesthetically!

I'm starting to think we need a John Pursley memorial hall. Maybe rename the scale forum or a subforum (Saturn V or manned space flight) after him...
THAT is a wonderful thought. I hope someone somewhere can pay tribute to him. This thread is a story. Condolences to all.

There is great hope in the resurrection.

Mercury9

Reaction score
I was trying to do a good job on my Estes-Centuri Mercury Redstone and as I usually do, I grabbed as many pics from "the Google" as I could. And I was blown away by the level of detail in this larger scale build. I was just beginning as a BAR back then, so the name would have meant nothing to me... but is this John's Mercury that you spoke of? It's beautiful; I really can't imagine it being someone elses.
View attachment 447152

I mean, look at the thing! Those little wires coming from those delicate white whatever-they-ares, every rivet, a stunning level of detail, beautiful capsule, decals look like they were painted by Cici herself! What a work of art!
Yep. That's John's Mercury Capsule. E was a stickler for detail. I remember watching him CNC each panel on his sideline mill. Then make a mold of it. When he had all the panels milled he glued them together and made another mold of the entire skin. He then pour resin into it and backed it with very thin cloth of some kind so it was embedded inside the resin. When it was almost cured he would pull it out of the mold and then put it around a form so it would finish curing in the cone shape. I do t know how many times he would toss out a casting that was not perfect,even if it had a teeny tiny little air bubble hole that could easily be filled with paint. I have one of his original capsule casting that I have never put together. I only regret not getting the escape tower parts from him now. I had always planned on buying one of his kits , but never got around it. It would have made a great center piece to my mercury collection.
Dan Stuettgen

Blast it Tom!

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing. Simply amazing. I wouldn't have the time, much less the ability - or a CNC controlled sideline mill! That Rocket could easily be displayed at the museum at JSC.

T-Rex

Ordinary Average Guy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. I am almost speechless. Sorry to hear that he is gone.