John Pursley injured in an accident

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John ran his operation as a one man show and did not make provisions for it to continue without him.

I have contacted eBay to let them know what happened and asked them to close his store and started the Accur8 Products is Closed thread mentioned in post 16. I will post updates in that thread if anything changes.
Richard - Just heard about the accident. Was wondering why he stopped communicating. Please pass along my best wishes and prays for a speedy recovery, and a Happy and Healthy New Year!! Taras

I heard yesterday that John was doing better, as well. A DARS member that is a friend of Johns went by John's place today and picked up some of John's product from his housemate, Richard N. Seems that they will try to fulfill some of the stalled orders, if at all possible.

I did see that John's Ebay store has had all product zeroed out.

Richard is going to go visit him in the next few days as well.

Saw this on facebook

Finally, some good news. After his recent near brush, John is conscious and lucid. The hospital is allowing phone conversations. They will be getting John up into a chair and will be trying walking with assistance. John would like to talk to people; it seems he's going stir crazy.
John's hospital number is 214-947-8181 Room 6212, if you'd like to get in touch.

Saw this on facebook

Finally, some good news. After his recent near brush, John is conscious and lucid. The hospital is allowing phone conversations. They will be getting John up into a chair and will be trying walking with assistance. John would like to talk to people; it seems he's going stir crazy.

John's hospital number is 214-947-8181 Room 6212, if you'd like to get in touch.

That hospital room is going to sound like a busy office, with the phone going all the time . . . LOL !

Great to hear that John is improving !

Dave F.

I'm the 'DARS member friend' of John's mentioned in a previous post. I did get access to his Ebay store and took down all of his listings. I also fulfilled as many outstanding orders as there was stock on hand to do so. I am in the process of issuing refunds for the remaining orders. I don't have access to John's computer and cannot print any new skin sets.

I have also found out that John has suffered another major setback in his recovery. At this time he is unconscious and on a ventilator. I will update the forum as I get more news.

Buzz McDermott

I'm the 'DARS member friend' of John's mentioned in a previous post. I did get access to his Ebay store and took down all of his listings. I also fulfilled as many outstanding orders as there was stock on hand to do so. I am in the process of issuing refunds for the remaining orders. I don't have access to John's computer and cannot print any new skin sets.

I have also found out that John has suffered another major setback in his recovery. At this time he is unconscious and on a ventilator. I will update the forum as I get more news.

Buzz McDermott

Good job, Buzz. I sure hated to hear of John’s recent setback.

Tom Blakeney here. Currently gearing up to do more rocketry, so hope to see you at a DARS launch soon.

An update on John Pursley's condition. Last Thursday the doctors said that we should all be "prepared for the worst". It didn't look good, they said. So, of course John regained consciousness early Friday morning! He is still very weak and has a very long way to go, but he is a fighter. Hoping this is the start of a real recovery for him.

-- Buzz McDermott

Rest in Peace, John Pursley. I'm sorry we never had the chance to meet in person. Condolences to all who knew him in person and virtually.

I am very sorry to report that John Pursley succumbed to his injuries and passed away last night at around 11pm. No other details at this time.

-- Buzz McDermott

This is really sad news. I am so very sorry you lost your friend. My sincere condolences to you and his family. I pray each of you will find peace.

Tobor

I want NAR members who read this to know what almost came true for the upcoming Virtual NARCON. Pre-accident, I had secured John's enthusiastic agreement to film a walk around of the JSC Saturn-V (he oversaw the restoration of this vehicle) and present a live narration of that vehicle walk-around. Anyone who made it to NARCON 2018 in Houston (thanks James Duffy!) had the opportunity to accompany John on two walk-around tours he led of that Saturn-V. I was part of the first group and the stories he told...were simply amazing. John was SO looking forward to sharing his very special understanding of the Saturn-V with the membership. We have lost a a valued NAR member, former Trustee, devoted scale modeler, and space historian par excellence. I wish his family and loved ones my condolences on their loss.

Ed LaCroix- NAR National Events Chairman
NAR 11248

I had no idea. I took my wife to see that one a few years ago - what a real privelege it would have been to have gone with John! How did he gain such an understanding? He must've done a LOT of study!

Can't say it enough, condolences again... :(

I am very sorry to report that John Pursley succumbed to his injuries and passed away last night at around 11pm. No other details at this time.

-- Buzz McDermott
John Pursley is one of a kind. I remember when he was the treasurer of the NASA Houston rocket club when I was 14 years old in 1981. He will never be forgotten and truly treasured. John Pursley helped preserve the Saturn V at JSC and is in the following video link:

Tremendous loss. John was such a good soul, having known him for decades. Condolences go out to his family.

Back