JLCR rubber bands?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnmanak

Reaction score
Anyone happen to know the size rubber bands (small and large) that the JLCR uses? I am sure I can get hundreds of them on Amazon for the price they charge for 10 or so, but not sure what sizes I should order.

I’ve been making my own by tying Estes style elastic into a loop. That allows me get the size that seems to work the best. It’s also not sticky like the rubber bands seem to be. I have several different weights so I can pick the one that has the right stretch and strength.

I practiced and tested many times before my first flight to make sure I had it right.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Tony

Anyone happen to know the size rubber bands (small and large) that the JLCR uses? I am sure I can get hundreds of them on Amazon for the price they charge for 10 or so, but not sure what sizes I should order.
It's on their website!

The standard kit includes:
  • Ten(10) regular elastic bands 1-3/4 x 1/4″
  • Five(5) large elastic bands 3-1/2 x 3/8″
Any similarly sized bands will do. You can buy a pack of 100 or more for a few $.

PS. This probably should be in the Recovery section.

Thanks everyone, lot's of awesome info!

I’ve been making my own by tying Estes style elastic into a loop. That allows me get the size that seems to work the best. It’s also not sticky like the rubber bands seem to be. I have several different weights so I can pick the one that has the right stretch and strength.

I practiced and tested many times before my first flight to make sure I had it right.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Tony

Hadn't thought of this, I have loads of Estes rubber band shock cord laying around from the past 40+ years. Always told myself I would find a use for it someday, now maybe I can!

Those rather weak rubber bands provided by JLCR, once nicked, start a tear that will quickly break, in my experience. The consequence is usually full deployment of the chute at apogee, defeating the purpose of the $130 device.

Like others have mentioned, I too have switched to fabric/elastic bands like hair ties for all of my JLCR-equipped rockets regardless of size. They’re far more durable, and thus reliable, than rubber bands. Likewise, they slide out of the air frame easier (though talcing the rubber bands helps), are more economical, and don’t seem to harden with age or exposure to ejection gas like the stock solution does.

I adopted silicone baking bands. Heat proof, reliably elastic and they don’t bind to chute fabrics. The ones I have are perfectly sized for 2”-3” diameter rockets which is all I fly as of yet.

Love to hear that folks are experimenting with various bands. There is no magic to the ones we use, other than high latex content.
Just remember to always use something elastic, not a hard zip tie or other non-elastic band.
Once you've overstressed your Chute Release, you will have nicked the internal catch, rounded the pin, or both. At that point the catch is not secure and can be pulled or jiggled loose. The solution at that point is replacement of the internal catch and external pins.
Some of you may have noticed that we have begun shipping black UV-resistant bands in the Accessory Kit we sell.

Back