JLCR and Rocketman parachute packing.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. JLCR and "standard" flat-sheet rip-stop parachute and braided nylon lines is no problem. Lots of ways to pack, no issues passing "shake test"...and "puff test"....
But I now have a few Rocketman parachutes. 3', 4', & 5'. These only have 4 shroud lines made of 3/16 tubular nylon. trying to figure out how to pack, them. It's not working. No matter how tight I get it, or which layer I pack the shroud lines into. It partially failes shake test. The shrouds work themselves out over 30 seconds of vigorous shaking.
So I am looking at 2 things.
1) Any recommendations on how to get them to stay in the bundle?
2) What about leaving them out of the bundle, and letting them extend to full length right away. Just have JLCR hold the chute closed. Thoughts ?

I switch my JLCR to .75" elastic in place of the rubber band. So much eaiser to adjust it from one chute size to another. A few weeks ago I used it on a 50" Recon chute from Wildman. The elastic worked great I will never go back to the rubber bands.

I tried "hair tie" and elastic strip on the JLCR. Even VERY tight (to the point the pin didn't release), when shaken the lines would work out more than I expected.

Has anyone left lines out of the bundle, and just let the restrained chute flap around at full extension until release altitude?

I tried "hair tie" and elastic strip on the JLCR. Even VERY tight (to the point the pin didn't release), when shaken the lines would work out more than I expected.

Has anyone left lines out of the bundle, and just let the restrained chute flap around at full extension until release altitude?
I have never had an issue when wrapping lines with in the chute in the bundle. There should really he nothing pulling on shroud lines

When I pack my chute, it lays flat and folds over so it is skinny and long. I put the lines up on the chute and then fold the sides over the lines. The tip then gets folded down to the base and then repeated. This way the lines are inside the chute and do not pull out.

When I pack my chute, it lays flat and folds over so it is skinny and long. I put the lines up on the chute and then fold the sides over the lines. The tip then gets folded down to the base and then repeated. This way the lines are inside the chute and do not pull out.
I like this method.

Here’s me doing pretty much that on a smaller chute, so that the JLCR’s job is just to prevent unrolling, not prevent shrouds from spilling out.

I like this method.

Here’s me doing pretty much that on a smaller chute, so that the JLCR’s job is just to prevent unrolling, not prevent shrouds from spilling out.

Yup. The cr tether should not have any pressure on it really. Just there to keep it with the rocket after opening. The cr is just there to hold it closed like you said.

I switch my JLCR to .75" elastic in place of the rubber band. So much eaiser to adjust it from one chute size to another. A few weeks ago I used it on a 50" Recon chute from Wildman. The elastic worked great I will never go back to the rubber bands.

Gary, .75" elastic like shock cords used to be made out of?

Try it with the shroud lines not inside the chute, as you say. Bundle only the chute with the JLCR and then do the shake test, see what it does.

I've had one chute shake loose and that was recently, it may have been a Rocketman but don't remember.

Back