Jim Flis used the "S" word

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foose4string

Reaction score
:D oh, ok.... :)

Currently working on the following kits:

- FlisKits Emu - Competition egg loft duration bird, 18mm using the infamous Kuhn egg capsule

- FlisKits HECK-5 - Micro to the MAXX version of the HERC-5

- FlisKits Saturn 1B - 1:282 scale 13mm model suitable for peanut scale

- FlisKits Stellar Nightmare - New design, futuristic, 18mm, making use of a very unique engine mount (see attached image) :D

And *that's* just the beginning :)

jim

That's right, he said it! He said "Saturn". He tried curb our curiosity by using the Flis Eye Mind Trick, but it didn't work.

Since the scale criteria this year at NARAM is peanut scale, my guess is your going to get this out before then? If so, good call. I remember seeing an article about you in Launch magazine and one of the pictures they used showed you in a classroom environment holding up what looked to be a peanut scale Saturn 1b. The pic didn't exactly look recent and the model looks like something that was begging to be kitted. Can't wait.

I remember seeing that "Stellar Nightmare" at NARAM last year. We discussed the finer points of that model(which was just about everything). I seem to remember some Herc 5'ish side pods or something? This one is VERY cool. Or, shall I say, "kewl"?:D

True, it is NOT micro, rather 13mm.

Is this the picture you're talking about?

That *is* the rocket we will be kitting. I designed that back in the 1980's using the Apogee Black-shaft tubing for the fuel tanks. I actually kitted about 20 of these under the heading of "JMF Enterprises" that I sold during the NEMROC conventions so there may be a few folks out there that have one of the originals (that is one of the originals that I am missing... :( )

That Saturn in the picture is the one that Jay Marsh built and you can find out more about that by clicking this link.

Jay had requested permission to use my design for his peanut scale entry at the nationals. I quickly agreed, thrilled that my design had been so noticed. In return, Jay helped me correct many of the scale inconsistencies that I had in the design, resulting in a model that set records back then (and I think still hold)

The kit will be based on that final design.

Jay also sent me his entry, which you see in that photo and I still have under glass. At one point it was slated for the Smithsonian but then got stopped when they boxed the model rocket display in the 90's.

I would *love* to get that one out before NARAM but am not sure if I would be able to. The other problem is that with such a kit to make it available in time for NARAM I probably should have announced it last December :)

It has been on my list since August of 2001 (yep, more than a year before we opened). Doing a proper scale model though is a bit of work and it kept getting shelved for one reason or another. This year it looks like it will really happen as I was able to finish all of the assembly figures in the last push (before the Nantucket Sound derailed me yet again :D )

I will begin working on it in earnest right after NARCON.

My goal is that within another 12-18 months that there would be an Apollo Saturn V and a Skylab Saturn V of the same scale and level of detail.

This model (the Saturn 1B) will be designed with a RANGE of skill levels ranging from 3-5 depending on how you wish to construct the tower as well as how much detail you wish to put into it. For the Skill Level 5 version you will be expected to do quite a bit of homework yourself, so... :)

Another concern (frankly, related to all of the kits on the 2009 schedule) is the economy. As everyone will tell you, sales are down. Sales = money, money = capital, and capital = more releases. There is quite an investment made in every release we do and a slow economy equates to fewer kits released.

However, the Saturn 1B will not drop off the list *this* time :) (some others probably will though...)

Last edited:
Didn't the guy in that picture get shot in the head by Arnold Schwatzenegger in Total Recall? He worked for recall and tried to convince Arnold that he was dreaming, but a bead of sweat gave him away... Then Sharon Stone kicked Arnolds butt. Or maybe not.

That model has been in R&D a long time Jim!:D

Yep, that's the pic.;)

I had a feeling this design went back a ways. Thanks for the background info, and your willingness to discuss a future release. That little bugger is just too cute.

maybe that was a Saturn "seed," that you plant it in the ground and water it and fertilize it, and after a while a really BIG Saturn grows up and you get to launch it with D motors, and....oh, I'm awake again now.

I designed that back in the 1980's using the Apogee Black-shaft tubing for the fuel tanks. I actually kitted about 20 of these under the heading of "JMF Enterprises" that I sold during the NEMROC conventions so there may be a few folks out there that have one of the originals (that is one of the originals that I am missing... :( )

I have one of the originals. :D
Will be getting one of the new ones when they are released. :)

I designed that back in the 1980's using the Apogee Black-shaft tubing for the fuel tanks. I actually kitted about 20 of these under the heading of "JMF Enterprises" that I sold during the NEMROC conventions so there may be a few folks out there that have one of the originals (that is one of the originals that I am missing... :( )

I have one of the originals. :D
Will be getting one of the new ones when they are released. :)

Since you've built one, how difficult is it going to be to convert it to 4 MicroMaxx motors? I have a feeling I'm going to need to buy more than one.

Since you've built one, how difficult is it going to be to convert it to 4 MicroMaxx motors? I have a feeling I'm going to need to buy more than one.

Not sure.
I built it almost 20 years ago. I only flew it once in Spencer. That will tell you how long ago that was. Almost lost it too.
Here's a couple of pics. It's gotten pretty yellow.

Flis Saturn 1B sm.jpg

Flis Saturn 1B 2 sm.jpg

It would actually take some work to modify the tail end...

You would need a BT-20 to hold the 4 motor tubes (I actually have centering rings for such a cluster) which would involve some modification of the 8 scale fuel tubes. It could certainly be done though and would make a very cool cluster launch :)

Buy more than one? Heck, buy a dozen, they're small :D

It would actually take some work to modify the tail end...

You would need a BT-20 to hold the 4 motor tubes (I actually have centering rings for such a cluster) which would involve some modification of the 8 scale fuel tubes. It could certainly be done though and would make a very cool cluster launch :)

I think I remember this from when Tony built his. Are the fuel tanks made from tubes cut the long way and glued to the motor tube?

Buy more than one? Heck, buy a dozen, they're small :D
I was going to suggest that I'd buy a dozen if it would get you to get them out faster but it occurred to me that you might take me up on it.

I think I remember this from when Tony built his. Are the fuel tanks made from tubes cut the long way and glued to the motor tube?

That's correct. The fuel tubes are BT-2 and the 13mm motor tube is too large so you have to shave down the BT-2's and glue them to the tube. While it would be some work, you could shave more off of the lower parts of the tube and fit a short length of BT-20 in there. The problem is that the BT-20 may actually be exposed between the fuel tubes then. I will check the drawing this afternoon and see if it is even possible...

I was going to suggest that I'd buy a dozen if it would get you to get them out faster but it occurred to me that you might take me up on it.

ah'yup... :D

That's correct. The fuel tubes are BT-2 and the 13mm motor tube is too large so you have to shave down the BT-2's and glue them to the tube. While it would be some work, you could shave more off of the lower parts of the tube and fit a short length of BT-20 in there. The problem is that the BT-20 may actually be exposed between the fuel tubes then. I will check the drawing this afternoon and see if it is even possible...

Leave out the big motor tube. Put in four MM motor tubes so they are touching the skirt on the bottom and canted to they touch or come close to touching each other at the top. I fit five MM motors in a BT-50 Little Joe doing that.

I got to stop telling myself I'm not gonna buy anymore till I get my build pile reduced. Cause every time I say that I found 5 more that I want! Nice looking Models Jim! Hope you are able to get them out soon!

I like everyone else on the forum would be happy to help Beta build.

Back