Jim Flis class in Acton, Mass. (with bonus Jim)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcsalem

Reaction score
Not one but TWO Jims!

I wanted to let you know that Jim Flis and I will be teaching a rocket-making class at the Discovery Museum in Acton, Mass. on Thursday, August 12th from 3-5pm.

It will be followed by the CMASS launch on Saturday, August 21st at Acton's NARA Park.

The class is for ages 8 and up. It's a great opportunity to get your kids (or parents) involved with rocket building. I encourage parents to attend along with their kids to share the fun and learning.

We'll spend the beginning of the class learning about model rocketry. Then we'll jump into building a FlisKits "Rhino". It's a great first model, and is also easily customized by more experienced builders. Some homework will be involved after the class to finish the model for launch day 9 days later.

To Register: Call the Discovery Museum at 978-264-4200 x10.
The cost is $30 including all building supplies and engines for launch day.

We're planning to limit the class size to around 12 people so call soon!

Links:
Jim Flis https://www.fliskits.com
CMASS https://www.cmass.org
Acton Discovery Museums https://www.discoverymuseums.org

-- Jim

sounds cool...
...can I come??

:D

I can even show them the rockets that we'll be releasing in September! :)

Jims,

Having taught model rockets to 8 year olds last year, and planning to do it again this year, I'd be fascinated to see how you present to youngsters.

Any chance of a video/CD/DVD of the talk?

oh, now doing a video would be very interesting. Not sure if Jim S can set that up (and what the restrictions/requirements would be with regard to parental permission.

I have taught some level of rocketry to youngsters as young as 6 years old (no building, but conceptual stuff, how things work/fly, etc.)

Each year I teach 100 4th graders (about 9 yrs old) at a local elementary school and I've done cub scouts, brownies, etc.

The toughest part, really, is getting and keeping their attention. I much prefer doing young classes in 2 parts (even if on the same day separated by an hour or so) as it is easier to keep their attention focused.

Also, a personal teaching quirk of mine. Since the mid-80's I have stopped teaching classes where we do the *entire* build in class. Over the years (and we're talking thousands of students in the age range of 8-55) I have found that I get the greatest success (and the students get the greatest satisfaction) if I *teach* about rocketry and teach/explain the most difficult parts of model rocket construction, sprinkling a bunch of little hints and tips (like how to make white glue set instantly :) )

When class is done, they know a great deal about model rocketry and have about half finished their model. They are then instructed to go home and complete the model with the help of family and friends. This teaches them to READ the instructions, understand the steps, interact with others around them (even if they *don't* know what they're doing) and take personal responsibility for their project.

To date, i've never had a student miss launch day (with the exception of unrelated problems with the student) and have never had a rocket fail to fly.

hope this helps.
jim

Originally posted by jflis
(like how to make white glue set instantly :) )

How DO you do that?

(That's not what this thread is for, but since I was working on a motor mount for a Quest Intruder at lunch time today, I'm very curious.)

I just *gotta* get my "Hints and Tips" web page done... :p

By way of example, you run a bead of white glue along the root edge of your fin, then you place the fin on the body tube, as you normally would.

Then you remove the fin and let the glue on the fin and the body tube begin to dry until there is a firm skin on the glue.

You then (there are two schools of thought here) wet down the glue on the fin root. You can either wet your finger and run it along the glue on the root of the fin, or you can apply a *very* thin film of more white glue.

Apply *this* to the body tube in the same location as before and *BAM*, she's on.

Mind you, it isn't *dry*, but it will set nearly instantly.

cool stuff :)

If you ever run *out* of white glue, but have a gallon of whole milk that is sitting around doing nothing, drop me a note and I'll tell you how to *make* elmers... :)

I just *gotta* get my "Hints and Tips" web page done... :p

(snip)

If you ever run *out* of white glue, but have a gallon of whole milk that is sitting around doing nothing, drop me a note and I'll tell you how to *make* elmers... :)

Jim,

I'm all about the hints and tips. I've only been doing model rockets since the beginning of June, and I have two models (Estes Patriot missile, Quest Intruder) waiting for me to cut out, prep, and attach their balsa fins right now! The other four rockets I've assembled have had plastic fins (Estes Skywriter, Estes Freaky Flyer, Estes Stars & Stripes, Quest Mirage), and I did no filling or painting of the body tubes, either, since of those four, only the Stars & Stripes has a body that *might* need to be painted.

Man, I had to say I was rather flabberghasted by the title of this thread at first.... I thought it said Jim Flis in Class Action!

Thought there was a lawsuit going on at first!

Too much of that stuff going on these days!

WHEW!

LOL

Do you realize that EVERY time I open this thread, that is EXACTLY what *I* am thinking the title says too...

LOL

oh man...

Sirius - exactly how I read it too!! I'd like to blame it on "too much hacking" but we flew a dozen rockets today, got plenty of sun, etc.

Originally posted by cls
Sirius - exactly how I read it too!! I'd like to blame it on "too much hacking" but we flew a dozen rockets today, got plenty of sun, etc.

LOL! Great minds think AND read things wrong alike!

Few a dozen rockets, got some sun.....ahhhhhhh, now that's the life!

Dave

LOL

Do you realize that EVERY time I open this thread, that is EXACTLY what *I* am thinking the title says too...

LOL

oh man...

Great minds Jim.... Great minds.....

....even misread alike! :)

Dave

Back