Jig Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

AfterBurners

Reaction score
I came up with this idea I saw on Apogee, except it was used for making motor mounts stronger and lighter, which I have used and it does work. I covered the build process under my GFORCE build thread. It consist of a wood dowel, some card stock and wood glue to put it together. You cut a couple rings and space them however you want on the wood dowel and then use the tabs to reinforce the rings. The rings are cut to whatever diameter rocket you are painting. This allows you to hold the rocket and paint without getting paint all over you or you can stand it up or what I do is wedge it in an old plastic milk container you find behind supermarkets. I have several that I made over the years and still have them. You can take it a step further and make the whole unit out of wood and disregard the tabs for support, although the wood units would work well for the really big rockets.

The unit pictured is for a 4 diameter rocket.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

AfterBurners

Reaction score
This is not a jig but it serves a great purpose. It's actually made out of a laboratory dropper that was heated enough and stretched thin enough to make for a less than pin size hole. The purpose for this was to directly apply CA accelerator to the area needed rather than spraying and wasting good accelerator in a lot of unnecessary places. I usually draw some into the dropper before using CA and apply micro drops of accelerator where needed. What I don't use can go back in the bottle.
You are right about the accelerator. It is a waste to spray it, but I think I may have seen something similar to this??

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It can be difficult to pack that stiff, uncooperative kevlar thread into those tiny MicroMaxx models

Here is my "Packing Fork". I shared this on another thread about MMX "challenges" but I think it does qualify for this gallery

My "packing fork" is a bamboo skewer, to which the points of 2 flat toothpicks have been CA'd in place and sanded. The points of the toothpicks extend approx 1/4" (0.5cm) beyond the blunt end of the skewer.

I simply capture a section of kevlar in the fork, push it into the tube and "twirl" the fork a little (think spaghetti). I don't twirl it tight, just enough to draw in the slack. Then I remove the fork, capture another section and repeat. It sure takes the frustration out of gathering up the shock cord

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Lawrence,

That is a pretty nifty idea. No problems with tangles?

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Lawrence,

That is a pretty nifty idea. No problems with tangles?
No problems at all. I work my way from the tube opening toward the nose cone. That way the cord is pushed into the tube in "layers" and already staged to exit LIFO.

ckreef

Reaction score
The packing fork looks great. My local RC club (where I fly my rockets & RC planes) is going to raffle off a MicroMax setup for the kids attending our next flyin (free raffle just for kids). I will have to build an extra one of these to put into the setup.

Latest posts