Jig Gallery

Discussion in 'Tools/Jigs/Ground Support' started by cwbullet, Mar 24, 2012.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 2, 2013 #31

AfterBurners

AfterBurners

AfterBurners

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I came up with this idea I saw on Apogee, except it was used for making motor mounts stronger and lighter, which I have used and it does work. I covered the build process under my GFORCE build thread. It consist of a wood dowel, some card stock and wood glue to put it together. You cut a couple rings and space them however you want on the wood dowel and then use the tabs to reinforce the rings. The rings are cut to whatever diameter rocket you are painting. This allows you to hold the rocket and paint without getting paint all over you or you can stand it up or what I do is wedge it in an old plastic milk container you find behind supermarkets. I have several that I made over the years and still have them. You can take it a step further and make the whole unit out of wood and disregard the tabs for support, although the wood units would work well for the really big rockets.

The unit pictured is for a 4 diameter rocket.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

2. Feb 2, 2013 #32

AfterBurners

AfterBurners

AfterBurners

You are right about the accelerator. It is a waste to spray it, but I think I may have seen something similar to this??

3. Feb 2, 2013 #33

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

What?

4. Feb 3, 2013 #34

LW Bercini

LW Bercini

LW Bercini

It can be difficult to pack that stiff, uncooperative kevlar thread into those tiny MicroMaxx models

Here is my "Packing Fork". I shared this on another thread about MMX "challenges" but I think it does qualify for this gallery

[​IMG]

My "packing fork" is a bamboo skewer, to which the points of 2 flat toothpicks have been CA'd in place and sanded. The points of the toothpicks extend approx 1/4" (0.5cm) beyond the blunt end of the skewer.

I simply capture a section of kevlar in the fork, push it into the tube and "twirl" the fork a little (think spaghetti). I don't twirl it tight, just enough to draw in the slack. Then I remove the fork, capture another section and repeat. It sure takes the frustration out of gathering up the shock cord

5. Feb 3, 2013 #35

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

Lawrence,

That is a pretty nifty idea. No problems with tangles?

6. Feb 3, 2013 #36

ckreef

ckreef

ckreef

7. Feb 3, 2013 #37

LW Bercini

LW Bercini

LW Bercini

No problems at all. I work my way from the tube opening toward the nose cone. That way the cord is pushed into the tube in "layers" and already staged to exit LIFO.

8. Feb 3, 2013 #38

ckreef

ckreef

ckreef

The packing fork looks great. My local RC club (where I fly my rockets & RC planes) is going to raffle off a MicroMax setup for the kids attending our next flyin (free raffle just for kids). I will have to build an extra one of these to put into the setup.