• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

jflis: Several new items up for auction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,

I've read of Apogee Black Shaft tubing but have never seen it.

Can you tell us a bit about it?

It's a phenolic tubing, spiral wound paper that has been treated. It is VERY stiff and a simple JOY to sand smooth. It was once preferred among competitors for scale (great to finish), altitude/duration events (again, can get a great finish on it, without need for paint) and for super-roc (doesn't flex *near* as much as regular tubing)

Problem with the stuff is that it is brittle and cracks easily. If you note the auctions, several of the tubes and little chips out of the ends of the tube. That is the main weakness of these tubes.

Good stuff, that's for sure. I purchased a boat load of this stuff for our club years ago when we were getting into competition :)

jim

Apogee still sells it in the 6mm size. I've tried it on a few low-powered superrocs (1/2A, A, maybe B) and it works OK as a single extension piece but can flex if using more than one length.

I'm bidding on a couple of the tubing lots for use in helicopters. Carbon fiber works much better for shafts, but this stuff's not to bad either.

Think I'll pass on the Star Trek stuff, though, unless it's autographed by the world famous Jim Flis :p

I was curious why Apogee stopped selling Blackshaft so I emailed Tim.

"We stopped carrying it because the manufacturer went out of business. I think it was because of the environmental issues surrounding phenolic."

I'd like to note how much I appreciate the fact that Tim, and Jim Flis, always get right back to you when you email them. Really nice people with a ton of knowledge, unfailingly helpful. Thanks guys.

Back