Jetpack!! I want one

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, the thing is huge, but very cool.

Looks like the Mythbusters "Bust" has been Busted.. :bangpan:

I'd prefer they use "personal ducted fan levitation device"

Moldie you beat me to the jetlev link.

Our club needs one of these to retrieve rockets from tall trees and power lines... I'll volunteer to keep it at my house between launches...

OL JR :)

Are those ringfins on the bottom or additional thruster units...

Seems pretty innovative yet at the same time, I wonder why anyone hasn't done it before...

I'm surprised nobody has taken one of those little turbofan helicopter or cruise missile type engines and made a "personal Harrier" out of one by using ducted thrust just like the Harrier does it...

Later! OL JR :)

Seems pretty innovative yet at the same time, I wonder why anyone hasn't done it before...

the concept for the martin jetpack was developed in 1981, first prototype was made in 1990s, so its not entirely new. A magazine article I read showed something like 20 prototypes.

Are those ringfins on the bottom or additional thruster units...

I'm surprised nobody has taken one of those little turbofan helicopter or cruise missile type engines and made a "personal Harrier" out of one by using ducted thrust just like the Harrier does it...

Later! OL JR :)

Actually a company in Walled Lake Michigan developed a jet pack back in the 70's or maybe the 60's. it looked like the one from lost in space, and they also had some that you could stand on and fly. they sent me pictures of them when I was a kid, but can't remember what happened to them. The company was Williams Research I believe.

Actually a company in Walled Lake Michigan developed a jet pack back in the 70's or maybe the 60's. it looked like the one from lost in space, and they also had some that you could stand on and fly. they sent me pictures of them when I was a kid, but can't remember what happened to them. The company was Williams Research I believe.

They are now Williams International.

The make small jet engins for the military Specifically for the cruise missile.

They also make small jet engines for private jets.

I did some work for them in the 80's but...they wouldn't tell me what it was for.

Just watching the video is painful and damaging to my hearing. Yeah, right - I want to be strapped onto the real thing for several minutes. So that I will never be able to use a cellphone again. I would be sorely tempted to crash it just to end the infernal racket.

I think that I'll take a pass on this one. What I'm really holding out for is anti-gravity shoes...

MarkII

Have you never heard of these things called air muffs they go over your ears or air plugs, they go in your ears? :roll:

Have you never heard of these things called air muffs they go over your ears or air plugs, they go in your ears? :roll:
Oh yeah, why didn't I think of that? So with an NRR of, say, 40 db (about as good as you can get), ear plugs or ear muffs bring the noise from one of those down from something like 190 db to a much "better" (?) 150 db... which is still well above the pain threshold. Yes, that would work fine.

MarkII

Back