Jester's 10" FAT MAN build thread!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not flown that motor but loved the M2500T. https://www.thrustcurve.org/motors/AeroTech/M2500T/
The L2500ST must be a great flier.

I can't find the L1265SW on AT site. Do you mean the L1256WS?

I will find out in 2 weeks because I am flying my Demon 150 on the L2500ST for the first time! I have an M4500ST for the same rocket for Airfest this year.

Sorry, WS. SW makes sense in my head since its Super White Lighting but I guess they went with WS.

Out of curiosity, why is the MMT so long?? It looks insanely long, or is it just me?

Good questions. The fin thickness is 3/8 inch. I got the plywood at Woodcraft, it had a pre-covid pricetag on it which they honored at checkout!
The motor mount hasn't been cut to length yet. However, it will be quite long and extend past the bodytube. This is because the upper length of the motor mount is an ejection cannon and stores the main chute.

That nose cone is awesome. I would have probably 3D printed it, but I will rethink that on my next build after watching your thread.

Time for an update. Weight is 15 lbs. without recovery system, ballast, altimeter battery or paint. Checked CG with 4 grain 75 mm motor and I will need to add 2 lbs to nosecone. 3D printing the nosecone would have been awsome. Make it about .100 inch undersize and glass it like a template. Anyway, bad news is I have come to realize I will not be ready for the Texas Shootout this coming weekend!

Rome was not built in a day my friend. This was a relatively big build in a short period of time so I think you've done darn well thus far.

Time for an update. Weight is 15 lbs. without recovery system, ballast, altimeter battery or paint. Checked CG with 4 grain 75 mm motor and I will need to add 2 lbs to nosecone. 3D printing the nosecone would have been awsome. Make it about .100 inch undersize and glass it like a template. Anyway, bad news is I have come to realize I will not be ready for the Texas Shootout this coming weekend!
Will you be at the shootout with other rockets?

I’ve heard the term “chute cannon”, but I’m not very familiar with the concept, so I’m looking forward to seeing how that is set up.

I’ve heard the term “chute cannon”, but I’m not very familiar with the concept, so I’m looking forward to seeing how that is set up.
The FATMAN has an extra long motor mount, and just above the installed motor is where the main chute ejection charge is placed. The wires for this charge go thru a hole in the motor mount tube to the eBay. Above this charge is a piston which separates the main ejection charge from the main chute, which is installed in the motor mount tube last. Tape is put over the top of the motor mount tube to secure the main in place. So, the rocket goes up, the altimeter sets off the first charge at apogee, removing the nosecone, and deploying the drogue. After the separated rocket falls to the desired altitude, the altimeter fires the main charge and the piston pushes the main chute thru the taped end of the motor mount tube. I hope I explained it well.

Back