Jeff L's unbaked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are high temperature paints out there; I bet one could find a high temperature clear. Angling the inside fin edges away from the plume is a good move, and I'd still use high temp paint (if paint is used) and clearcoat if that's available.

This if you can stabilize it:
1602072025254.png

Otherwise this, if you can stand the lots of fiddly strut construction (or 3D print that part):
1602072187764.png
(And that probably needs the truss structure all the way up.)

I was reading a news article about a flying squirrel poaching ring (apparently we needed a new,different way for people to be horrible...) and I started thinking "boost glider".

So now I'm thinking about doing boost gliders with variable geometry wings that fold up for boost and pop out for glide. There could be a flying squirrel (with goggles of course) or a bat (because it's almost Halloween). Or maybe a clockwork ornithopter because that would be cool.

flying_squirrel.jpeg

I was reading a news article about a flying squirrel poaching ring (apparently we needed a new,different way for people to be horrible...) and I started thinking "boost glider".

So now I'm thinking about doing boost gliders with variable geometry wings that fold up for boost and pop out for glide. There could be a flying squirrel (with goggles of course) or a bat (because it's almost Halloween). Or maybe a clockwork ornithopter because that would be cool.

View attachment 435533
Not a glider, but definitely turned in Squirrelly flights
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/the-squirrel-2-almost-perfect-flight.146038/
C7A68322-C05E-4759-A637-0B316B0B955F.jpegAC9DAD06-3169-4677-B35F-7E6B9BF624B4.jpeg5D07F6DA-62AD-413A-BC1D-B558C9B3CDA3.jpegC0A3BFD0-DD04-445E-A55D-A7F5CB451C12.jpeg

I've been thinking about collapsible wing designs a bit.
Here's a paper template of a possible folding pattern for a bat wing:
bat_wing 1.jpegDSC_0160.JPGDSC_0161.JPGDSC_0162.JPG
I've had success on a non-rocket project making stuff that folds and unfolds consistently by cutting the segments out of heavy card stock and joining on the fold lines using clear packing tape. the result has a strong tendency to want to fold only on the tape hinges and only in the correct directions.

So this could be buildable with the right framework supporting the wing leading edge, and the right spring or elastic to pull it straight when needed, and the right hooks and motor motion at ejection to hold and release things...

Star Trek: Generations was on TV yesterday.
Turns out in the Star Trek universe, if you're a supervillain that wants to blow up a star, you don't always have to use some super high-tech glowing energy thingie, sometimes you can just put a widget on a rocket:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111280/mediaviewer/rm4081554177
It's a nice looking rocket, I wonder if anyone's built a model of it.

Damn shame. And why?? What does Paramount gain by prohibiting the release of a kit or dimensional information (or what would they lose by allowing it)? It would be a fun build indeed, and a real crowd pleaser at launches.

What, are they afraid someone would use it and put the sun out?

In the world of Intellectual Property lawyers, there are two styles -- one where they estimate whether use of the IP is good or bad for their brand and make context sensitive decisions, and one where they assume that getting more control is always better. Looks like Paramount has the latter, or at least did at the time. BTW it's just as frustrating to work with the control-freak lawyers when you're in the inside of the company.

Damn shame. And why?? What does Paramount gain by prohibiting the release of a kit or dimensional information (or what would they lose by allowing it)? It would be a fun build indeed, and a real crowd pleaser at launches.

What, are they afraid someone would use it and put the sun out?
If someone builds it and there is fecal turbine interaction (somebody doesn’t follow NAR or Tripoli rules and does something stupid, and somebody gets hurt or burns down Southern California by accident), just the name association might cause problems. Agreed, extremely low risk, but why take ANY risk if there is no significant benefit to Paramount? Pleasing a crowd at a rocket launch may seem like a big deal to us, but unlikely to measurably impact their financial bottom line. Don’t forget, it’s ALL about the money.

A reputation as a-holes who won't allow this (and there have been other things like it) likely has as much or more effect on the bottom line as the remote chance of suffering from a ventilation-induced fecal splatter.

Back