The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Or give it to @Daddyisabar

he’ll stick two more motors in the nacelles and fly it backwards as well!

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks very cool. I see a potential concern that the fins are so far off to one side. @BABAR likes to say "Symmetry is overrated" and he has lots of successful designs to prove it. I wonder if there any tricks to doing this sort of thing successfully that he might like to pass along.
Length is definitely your friend when you go Skwewy. that’s the down side here.
D10A5CAE-94F3-4887-AC61-E0F10A94CCF5.jpeg

Estes original Enterprise rocket used Kirk’s Kobayashi Maru solution. To quote McCoy, “”He cheated.”*

Estes added a long forward boom with nose weight to make it stable.

you could build a sky blue boom and stick a heavy scale or super scale shuttle craft or a Tholian Webb ship at the front. Speaking of which, @neil_w did Gary ever get that Tholian ship to fly?

*. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru

Jeff Lassahn

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been doing a bunch of stuff with Space Shuttles recently. Since I haven't had enough enthusiasm to continue work on my 1:150 scale one, I'm thinking about going totally the other direction.

So instead of a big fancy hand crafted shuttle, here's a little silly one made from off the shelf parts. It's BT-5 tubes for the orbiter and the SRBs, and a BT-50 for the tank. Flies on 1/2A-T or A-T mini motors.

front.pngside.pngback.png

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Extra points if the shuttle glides.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been doing a bunch of stuff with Space Shuttles recently. Since I haven't had enough enthusiasm to continue work on my 1:150 scale one, I'm thinking about going totally the other direction.

So instead of a big fancy hand crafted shuttle, here's a little silly one made from off the shelf parts. It's BT-5 tubes for the orbiter and the SRBs, and a BT-50 for the tank. Flies on 1/2A-T or A-T mini motors.

View attachment 492738View attachment 492739View attachment 492740
I am not a scale dude. I think your model looks great just as pictured above. Unless you are going into a competition (which in the U.S. for scale models is what, once a year? Maybe other events I don't know about) the only person you need to impress is you.

FWIW (this may refute my statement above), a model that looks EXACTLY like the above (including relatively low definition decals, and only a few of them) would probably make a pretty popular kit.

Finally, if you build it like you say and it works, you are that much further ahead in (if you so desire) upscaling it and building it to scale.

Have fun!

GlenP

Reaction score
Maybe you could fashion some kind of SRB separation at ejection so the they come down on their own streamers and the central tank on a small chute? The SRB streamers could be stored in the ET but on an external shroud line to the middle of each SRB?