Quantcast

Jeff L's unbaked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There are high temperature paints out there; I bet one could find a high temperature clear. Angling the inside fin edges away from the plume is a good move, and I'd still use high temp paint (if paint is used) and clearcoat if that's available.

Jeff Lassahn

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking I should pick something, polish up the design, and actually build it.
Anyone have a favorite they think I should do?

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This if you can stabilize it:
1602072025254.png

Otherwise this, if you can stand the lots of fiddly strut construction (or 3D print that part):
1602072187764.png
(And that probably needs the truss structure all the way up.)

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking I should pick something, polish up the design, and actually build it.
Anyone have a favorite they think I should do?
I agree with Joe's vote, I like the one with the blue background and ball in the middle.

Jeff Lassahn

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading a news article about a flying squirrel poaching ring (apparently we needed a new,different way for people to be horrible...) and I started thinking "boost glider".

So now I'm thinking about doing boost gliders with variable geometry wings that fold up for boost and pop out for glide. There could be a flying squirrel (with goggles of course) or a bat (because it's almost Halloween). Or maybe a clockwork ornithopter because that would be cool.

flying_squirrel.jpeg

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I like it. I'd like to see you do it. Or see someone else do it. I aint gonna do it.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading a news article about a flying squirrel poaching ring (apparently we needed a new,different way for people to be horrible...) and I started thinking "boost glider".

So now I'm thinking about doing boost gliders with variable geometry wings that fold up for boost and pop out for glide. There could be a flying squirrel (with goggles of course) or a bat (because it's almost Halloween). Or maybe a clockwork ornithopter because that would be cool.

View attachment 435533
Not a glider, but definitely turned in Squirrelly flights

C7A68322-C05E-4759-A637-0B316B0B955F.jpeg
AC9DAD06-3169-4677-B35F-7E6B9BF624B4.jpeg
5D07F6DA-62AD-413A-BC1D-B558C9B3CDA3.jpeg
C0A3BFD0-DD04-445E-A55D-A7F5CB451C12.jpeg

Jeff Lassahn

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about collapsible wing designs a bit.
Here's a paper template of a possible folding pattern for a bat wing:
bat_wing 1.jpegDSC_0160.JPGDSC_0161.JPGDSC_0162.JPG
I've had success on a non-rocket project making stuff that folds and unfolds consistently by cutting the segments out of heavy card stock and joining on the fold lines using clear packing tape. the result has a strong tendency to want to fold only on the tape hinges and only in the correct directions.

So this could be buildable with the right framework supporting the wing leading edge, and the right spring or elastic to pull it straight when needed, and the right hooks and motor motion at ejection to hold and release things...