JB weld for FG assembly?

Discussion in 'Techniques' started by bclark989, May 2, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. May 2, 2018 #1

bclark989

bclark989

bclark989

Is JB Weld an acceptable construction epoxy for FG to FG joints? I have G5000 for fillets, but I am trying to decide what the best epoxy is for the assembly.

Thanks!

2. May 2, 2018 #2

Keisling

Keisling

Keisling

Licensed Practical Rocket Surgeon

JB works fine for FG. There are other epoxies that are easier to work with but I still use JB for anything that touches the motor tube.

3. May 2, 2018 #3

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

If you don't mind paying the exorbitant price, then it's fine. JB Weld is $5.67 per ounce, whereas RocketPoxy is $1.09 per ounce (before shipping). Why not just use the RocketPoxy? I only use JB Weld for the retainer.

Make sure you wash the surfaces with soap and water, rinse thoroughly, rough up the surface with 60-grit sandpaper, then use acetone or isopropyl alcohol to clean away the dust.

Wallace likes this.
  4. May 2, 2018 #4

bclark989

bclark989

bclark989

Keisling, thanks. That's what i was thinking.

Bat-mite, I suppose the main reason would be that I'm going to use so little of it. One package of JB Weld will probably build the whole rocket. I'll need an ounce or two to do fillets, but I'll be doing those with the G5000. To me its not worth the hassle to go through an online vendor, pay for shipping, etc, just to save $5.

5. May 2, 2018 #5

G_T

G_T

G_T

FWIW, JB Weld is a good grade of epoxy with calcium carbonate and powdered iron (or steel; I forget which) added.

Gerald

6. May 2, 2018 #6

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

G5000 is RocketPoxy. You already have some, apparently. I'm confused....

7. May 2, 2018 #7

AfterBurners

AfterBurners

AfterBurners

You can always buy some hobby epoxy in the small bottles. 4.5 or 9 oz. Pretty reasonable price. Probaby get several builds out of the bottled. I use JB Weld mainly on the motor retainer.

8. May 2, 2018 #8

cavecentral

cavecentral

cavecentral

You can find larger tubes of jb weld on ebay. Cheaper per ounce than the little ones.

9. May 3, 2018 #9

solid_fuel

solid_fuel

solid_fuel

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

isn't JB weld much heavier then BSI epoxy per the same volume? I am just guessing but it seems heavier

10. May 3, 2018 #10

amarillo_rocket

amarillo_rocket

amarillo_rocket

I buy JB 10oz tubes on Ebay for around $1.30/oz including shipping. I use JB for fillets and motor mounts on all of my larger rockets (N motor being the largest). It works well and if I need it to flow a little better I use a heat gun for about 10 seconds. I use Aeropoxy light for fillets on smaller rockets. It's very easy to sand and slightly thicker consistency than JB but not as strong.

11. May 3, 2018 #11

G_T

G_T

G_T

Actually JBWeld isn't really that strong. IIRC, it is about 40% the strength of the strongest stuff. But it is reasonably resistant to cracking and seems to adhere fairly well. Those are two common failure modes for bulk epoxy. It also has reasonable tolerance for a bit of mild heating. So being weaker is not usually a big deal.

Gerald

12. Jan 12, 2020 #12

tollyman

tollyman

tollyman

40% strength of what stuff? Rocketpoxy or the best epoxy there is? Any suggestions to smoothing out fillets with jb weld?

13. Jan 12, 2020 #13

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

Spit. Spit on your finger as you pull the fillet.

Zertyme and Titan II like this.
  14. Jan 13, 2020 #14

G_T

G_T

G_T

Water in epoxy is a negative. Epoxy, uncured, on your hands is a negative also as it is toxic. You should not be making any physical contact with it.

Epoxy is an allergin. You do not want to become allergic to it! Exposure to uncured epoxy triggers the allergy. The more exposure, the more likely you are to get the allergy. Some epoxy systems are also much more likely to give you the allergy quickly, than others. But in general, eliminate physical contact with uncured epoxy. Treat it like a poison. It IS poisonous, but it is also an allergin.

You can research epoxy strength if you want. You don't need me to do it for you! But, since you didn't research it, here is one quick link: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/epoxy-comparisons-and-technical-data-sheets.138953/

An epoxy system I often recommend considering: http://www.cstsales.com/mgs_epoxy.html This has some of the best properties for a room temp cure epoxy system, and properties are improved by appropriate post-cure heat treatment cycle. But it is not a high temp system, such as those produced by Cotronics, or such as JBWeld. MGS is used for commercial plane manufacturing. Another similar product is System 2000.

Note MGS, and System 2000, are unfilled epoxy systems. If you want it thicker (as in, more like JBWeld), you add your own fillers. That can include such materials as calcium carbonate and iron powder such as with JB Weld (IIRC), various fiber additives to make it an FRP, metallic additives, ceramic microfiber additives, and various other solids. You can tailor the properties a fair bit that way. But what you can't do is magically improve the Tg (glass transition temperature). If your temperature hits Tg, then your rigid epoxy turns into something more like a stiff taffy or a pitch. It will permanently deform under pressure. That is not usually a good thing...

JBWeld is good if you need so-so mechanical properties, along with fairly good operational temperature tolerance, ready availability, low flow, and acceptible price.

Gerald

Steve Shannon likes this.
  15. Jan 13, 2020 #15

Voyager1

Voyager1

Voyager1

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Use disposable latex gloves. It makes smoothing out fillets easy.

16. Jan 13, 2020 #16

dmgrime

dmgrime

dmgrime

Definitely gloves. I always wear gloves when working with any epoxies ... 5mil nitrile gloves are about $0.05 each and in my opinion well worth mitigating the risk of developing a sensitivity to epoxy.

As for smoothing / shaping fillets ... I picked this up from a post here on TRF a couple years ago. Cake decorating tools! I mask my lines, fill, and pull the fillet with these. One pass to shape and then dip the ball in denatured alcohol and one more pass to smooth. Works like a charm! I use for wood glue also, but no alcohol dip there...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0771DY1LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_opghEb4KESGXN

Wallace, Greg Furtman and tollyman like this.
  17. Jan 13, 2020 #17

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

Sponsor TRF Sponsor TRF Supporter

Personally I don't like JB Weld, but, If you insist on using alot of it, the big tubes'll save you about 40% of your dough...https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-828...sr_1_4?keywords=jb+weld&qid=1578919848&sr=8-4

o1d_dude likes this.
  18. Jan 13, 2020 #18

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional

Use nitrile -- a person can become allergic to latex through repeat exposure -- no more Band-Aids.

19. Jan 14, 2020 #19

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

Been doing it that way for 50 years. You also are suppose to use a non toxic willow tree for roasting marsh mellows in the state of CA.

Titan II and Wallace like this.
  20. Jan 15, 2020 #20

o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'

For fillets, I remember Crazy Jim recommended pvc sprinkler pipe of appropriate diameter and wet in alcohol.

His other trick was to wipe the sides of the pipe tool with felt tip marker and drag it along the fin where you want the fillet. The marker ink will transfer to the body tube and you lay down the edge of the tape along that line.

Been using Jim's tips for years. He's a pretty clever country boy.

blackjack2564 likes this.
  21. Jan 16, 2020 #21

PatD

PatD

PatD

OMG! Obviously you don't know the dangers of salicylic acid which lurks in the willow tree. :D

22. Jan 16, 2020 #22

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

Salicylic acid gives me a headache;)

23. Jan 16, 2020 #23

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Now that is a great idea! Thanks. :D

Wallace likes this.
  24. Jan 16, 2020 #24

Wallace

Wallace

Wallace

The real question then becomes...Can you turn out a decent looking Rose petal?

25. Jan 16, 2020 #25

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

If that acid is good enough for the North American Spotted Ferret Bat, then it's good enough for me!