Jb kwik wood

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam3836

Reaction score
I no there is plenty of topics about filling spirals on BT’s but I couldn’t find anything on this ? Has anyone used this to fill body tube spirals ? Iam sure it should work ? I don’t see why not ?
FE73B57E-AB3E-41D0-A4F5-965AF79E64BA.jpeg

I've not used it, but with 'epoxy' in the description it is likely going to be overkill for filling spirals. Needlessly strong, and much heavier than the products typically used to fill spirals.

And while it says it is sandable, my guess is that it is not going to sand as easily as CWF or the other 'go to's'...

I've not used it, but with 'epoxy' in the description it is likely going to be overkill for filling spirals. Needlessly strong, and much heavier than the products typically used to fill spirals.

And while it says it is sandable, my guess is that it is not going to sand as easily as CWF or the other 'go to's'...
I agree
I was curious
I no apogee has a video using a epoxy putty to fill spirals so thats why when I saw this I was thinking maybe it’s similar
Overkill probably lol

I used this for spirals on what I considered to be a phenolic tube. I used it because I already had it for a wood repair project. I also used it for fin fillets on that rocket.

The putty was a little hard to get to stay in the spiral grooves. I rolled it into little snakes, pushed them into the fillets, and scraped off the outside with an old single edge razor blade. The putty was a little bit too stiff for this to work cleanly, but it didn't leave much to sand off. Then I filled in irregularities with a tiny bit of normal Elmers wood putty and sanded that smooth. This was on a 2.6" diameter tube about 24" long, so it was a lot of tedious work.

For the fin fillets- These were TTW fins so I created small fillets with normal epoxy to hold the fins in and seal up the gaps. Then I put the putty on. I rolled up snakes, pushed the snakes into the fin roots, and contoured the putty with a round slick metal object. (A deep socket from my socket set.) The socket contoured the putty to a good shape but again the putty was a bit too stiff to form a clean surface, it wanted to tear just a little bit. I wet my fingertip with rubbing alcohol and smoothed out the surface of the fillet a little bit. Then after the epoxy cured I sanded off any high points by wrapping sandpaper around the socket, or a socket that was 1 size smaller. Then I put some normal Elmers wood putty over the irregularities and sanded that smooth. I ended up with pretty much perfect fillets, very smooth.

This is all a long-winded explanation of what I think is required- a 2 step process. Use the putty to fill in most of the space but remove excess with a tool before it cures. Then fill in the small spaces remaining with wood putty that is easier to sand.

I used this for spirals on what I considered to be a phenolic tube. I used it because I already had it for a wood repair project. I also used it for fin fillets on that rocket.

The putty was a little hard to get to stay in the spiral grooves. I rolled it into little snakes, pushed them into the fillets, and scraped off the outside with an old single edge razor blade. The putty was a little bit too stiff for this to work cleanly, but it didn't leave much to sand off. Then I filled in irregularities with a tiny bit of normal Elmers wood putty and sanded that smooth. This was on a 2.6" diameter tube about 24" long, so it was a lot of tedious work.

For the fin fillets- These were TTW fins so I created small fillets with normal epoxy to hold the fins in and seal up the gaps. Then I put the putty on. I rolled up snakes, pushed the snakes into the fin roots, and contoured the putty with a round slick metal object. (A deep socket from my socket set.) The socket contoured the putty to a good shape but again the putty was a bit too stiff to form a clean surface, it wanted to tear just a little bit. I wet my fingertip with rubbing alcohol and smoothed out the surface of the fillet a little bit. Then after the epoxy cured I sanded off any high points by wrapping sandpaper around the socket, or a socket that was 1 size smaller. Then I put some normal Elmers wood putty over the irregularities and sanded that smooth. I ended up with pretty much perfect fillets, very smooth.

This is all a long-winded explanation of what I think is required- a 2 step process. Use the putty to fill in most of the space but remove excess with a tool before it cures. Then fill in the small spaces remaining with wood putty that is easier to sand.
Good information.
Seems like it will work just maybe not the most user friendly.
I generally don’t fill the spirals but for my current build I would like to and wanted to see what options I may like better than others.
What was the working time you got out of this product before it was starting to cure 15 minuets ?

Good information.
Seems like it will work just maybe not the most user friendly.
I generally don’t fill the spirals but for my current build I would like to and wanted to see what options I may like better than others.
What was the working time you got out of this product before it was starting to cure 15 minuets ?
For Estes tubes and LOC tubes I don't worry about the spirals, but somehow I ended up with a heavier 2.6" diameter tube that had significantly deeper spirals.
This is the only time I've filled spirals so I don't know what the best method is. I happened to have the JB product so I used it. I would certainly use it again for fin fillets.
I think I had more time than 15 minutes because the spirals took a lot of time. I did that about 5 years ago. Maybe it was 15 minutes and I mixed up 2 batches and don't remember it.

Back