Jazz & Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Just wondering ,I`m building a TLP Rapier and doing some super detail work on the build and listening to some fine jazz (Ray Brown ,Monty Alexander and Russell Malone) with Oliver Jones and Hank Jones on deck....and a glass of Malbec.
What do you all listen to whilst building ?

50fty cent and lil`wayne don`t count !

Paul

I like a little bit of this and that, but mostly it's jazz, blues, and big band. I try not to listen to anything with vocals while building because then I get distracted and try to sing along. Some of my favorites are Keith Jarrett, Miles Davis, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington, and Louis Armstrong.

It's not unusual to hear Winger's Headed for a Heartbreak in the rocket lab - as a fact it's on as I type.

I thought I was the only one! I discovered cool jazz around the same time I started building rockets, so they've become strongly associated with each other. There's nothing like Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue'. Ted

I listen to the power vent on my oil fired furnace kicking in and the furnace lighting off.

My work area is in my basement.

Actually I have a radio that picks up minimal stations.
The local college station is eclectic playing all kinds of music from Jazz to country to Irish, and so on.

Mostly non mainstream artists.

What I seldom listen to while working down there is my wife cause I'm off the radar.;)

Wm

I listen to the power vent on my oil fired furnace kicking in and the furnace lighting off.

My work area is in my basement.

Actually I have a radio that picks up minimal stations.

You! Get out of my house! (My work area is much the same, unless I'm working in the garage)

I do also periodically get to hear the freezer and water heater kick in, as well.

-Kevin

Just wondering ,I`m building a TLP Rapier and doing some super detail work on the build and listening to some fine jazz (Ray Brown ,Monty Alexander and Russell Malone) with Oliver Jones and Hank Jones on deck....and a glass of Malbec.

What?! No Mingus? C'mon, Paul, ya gotta get some Mingus in there!

What do you all listen to whilst building ?

Whatever is on the radio, unless it's one of those rare times I grab the iPod. Even then, it varies. Widely.

-Kevin

PS: The group is Love & Rockets, not Jazz & Rockets... :D

What?! No Mingus? C'mon, Paul, ya gotta get some Mingus in there!

Whatever is on the radio, unless it's one of those rare times I grab the iPod. Even then, it varies. Widely.

-Kevin

PS: The group is Love & Rockets, not Jazz & Rockets... :D

Mingus ,who doen`t have Mingus ,not to mention Bill Evans ,Coleman Hawkins,Ben Webster ,Art Tatum ,The Duke (Ellimgton that is....although John Wayne is pretty cool in my books also)Herbie Mann,Lester Young ,Scott Hamilton.....I could go on forever.I also like stuff like St. Germain ,Greyboy ,Greyboy Allstars ,David Sanborn ,Praful ,Adani & Wolf ,John Coletrane ,Holly Cole ,Molly Johnson ,Enigma ,Tangerine Dream(and all that great Euro-trash ;)) nostalgia radio and ......well almost everything `cept for Rap & Country.BUT HEY....to each their own.The world would be boring if everybody listened to the same thing ,including freezers ,furnaces and waterpipes :D

Paul

to each their own.The world would be boring if everybody listened to the same thing ,including freezers ,furnaces and waterpipes :D

Agreed!

I like variety; country is about all I really don't like. Not too fond of modern jazz, either.

-Kevin

I usually don't listen to music while building, but when I do, I listen to everything from Indie rock (Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse) to Black Sabbath. For music while doing lots of sanding, though, you can't beat the Who.

:headbang:

For music while doing lots of sanding, though, you can't beat the Who.

:headbang:

A little off topic... Do you sand in time to the music? I was never a bandie, but I still have the habit of walking (and doing most everything else repetitive) in time to the music I'm listening to.

https://xkcd.com/389/

From jazz guitarist Drew Davidsen's website:
Every year it gets increasingly difficult for new artists to break on through to the smooth-jazz charts, but Maryland-based electric guitarist Drew Davidsen has done it with the rollicking “Astro.” (Its title and inspiration come from Davidsen’s late father, who pioneered satellite technology for NASA.)

Greg

From jazz guitarist Drew Davidsen's website:
Every year it gets increasingly difficult for new artists to break on through to the smooth-jazz charts, but Maryland-based electric guitarist Drew Davidsen has done it with the rollicking “Astro.” (Its title and inspiration come from Davidsen’s late father, who pioneered satellite technology for NASA.)

Greg

That is so cool !

Paul

Opera.

It helps to mask the anguished screams and the torrents of profanity. :D

Mark K.

Screams of profanity are healthy.....releases unwanted stress don`t you know.

Paul ( a very,very healthy rocketeer ):shock:

Screams of profanity are healthy.....releases unwanted stress don`t you know.

Paul ( a very,very healthy rocketeer ):shock:
Tell me about it... I just want to try to avoid yet another visit from the police, though. :eek:

Mark K.

Good Boogie Woogie or Blues works for me , like Savoy Brown.

Opie and Anthony on Sirius/ XM Satellite radio. Crass and moronic talk radio at it's finest.

Had to stop listening to music while building... When I listen..I can't just listen I sing.. when I sing I get into the music..and the rocket is over sanded..Doh! Then there's the screaming and profanity...More Primer Igor.. MORE....
Not good for the models, Better to sand in silence listening to the sounds in my head. Ah haha ha.... down Igor! down... but master.. now we'll need another brain?? Ha igor we'll use that one.. just pick it up, dust it off and sand down the ridges...it'll work.

Generally, I listen to belt sanders, air compressors, burning propane heaters, carbide grinding tools, and dull hacksaws trying to cut through steel :bang:

Otherwise, I'm watching tv while I build.

Generally, I listen to belt sanders, air compressors, burning propane heaters, carbide grinding tools, and dull hacksaws trying to cut through steel :bang:
So you're into industrial, then? :confused2: That's cool; I can get into that.

Mark K.

So, after a while the machine starts talking to him...KUNK-ka-CHUNK you need a vacation KUNK-ka-CHUNK go on compensation KUNK-kaCHUNK give me your hand KUNK-ka-CHUNK give me your hand. So he does it eh? And three days later, you know where he is? Back workin' the machine... with the OTHER hand! Ted;)

So you're into industrial, then? :confused2: That's cool; I can get into that.

Mark K.

:roll: I've said on the forum before: I like to scratch-build everything, whether that be rockets (hence the belt sander--I love that thing), fishing lures (hence the dull hacksaw trying to cut through steel), or pointless odds and ends. Of course, the propane heater comes in handy when the temps get low.

Unfortunately, I don't have a stereo in my rocketry area, so I'm restriced to the sounds of machines. If I'm doing light work (such as that which only requires a knife, circle cutter, or scizzors) then I usually watch MASH, Apollo 13 (probably explains several of my . . . err . . . you know :bangpan:), or some other thing that I've seen about 50 times, know so well that I can recite the script off the top of my head, and can half ignore while I build rockets.

My wife and I got front row seats when Ernie Watts came to Las Cruces last year. He had excellent local musician to fill in the quartet (jazz music professors and pro musicians). Unbelievable. Bought a couple of his CD's afterwards and he signed them with a personal note. Very cool guy.

I listen to a lot of jazz and blues. But, other favorites are: Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, Pink Floyd, and Rush (guess what decade I grew up in ;) ). I've been playing guitar for 40 years and have recorded a few things. You might not want to listen to some of it when building rockets, especially if there's an xacto knife around. :eek:

-John

Actually, I just made the whole opera thing up. It was a set up for the punch line that followed. In reality, I listen to the sounds of silence. No, not the S&G record - the real thing. I have no provision for music, TV or computer in my work room. I could bring something in, I suppose, but I haven't felt any need for it so far.

Mark K.

Back