Jazz DV151

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter_stanley

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Jazz DV151 for rocket video? Here is a product link on Amazon, but I have seen them for sale other places (walmart, big lots, etc.) between 20.00 and 30.00. https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-DV151-Digital-Video-Camera/dp/B001LGPOLC/. I looked on the jazzcameras.com site, but didn't see it listed. I don't know if maybe this model is being phased out. There are lots of dealers selling it though.

It has the same physical profile as the Flip cameras, but not as good quality. It uses 2 AA batteries and no internal memory, but supports up to a 2GB memory card. Has usb interface, and specs are 640x480 30 fps. I have one in hand, but it is not mine. Maybe they will let me test it. It should fit in a 2.6" tube, but would need a mirror to get a down shot, hassle to make. (For me anyway). Easy to get a side view though.

I haven't heard of anyone using them in rockets yet, even as super-cheap as they are. I might try to test one in the next couple months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at the back of the packaging now. It has two modes VGA:640 x 480, QVGA: 320 x 240. Shows both do 30 fps. Here is a pic I just took with my iphone.

photo.jpg

Has anyone tried the Jazz DV151 for rocket video? It has the same physical profile as the Flip cameras, but not as good quality. It uses 2 AA batteries and no internal memory, but supports up to a 2GB memory card. Has usb interface, and specs are 640x480 30 fps. I have one in hand, but it is not mine. Maybe they will let me test it. It should fit in a 2.6" tube, but would need a mirror to get a down shot, hassle to make. (For me anyway). Easy to get a side view though.

I haven't heard of anyone using them in rockets yet, even as super-cheap as they are. I might try to test one in the next couple months.

For that price, you can afford to wreck a few of them... :D

I don't use mirrors on my downward-facing cameras - I build a shroud that the camera sits in and looks down directly. It's a *bit*larger than a mirror shroud... and of course has to be hollow, but it can be done.

A few things to consider...

Where are the power and record switches mounted? If they're on the side or top, you can drill a couple of holes for access. Use a screwdriver to turn the camera on and off, as well as start/stop recording. Otherwise, you may end up running external wires to do the controlling.

One of the problems I've been having with digital cameras is the flimsy battery connections they're equipped with. Does it have a jack for an external power source? If not, you may have to open it up and attach a REAL spring-loaded battery holder.

Automatic power-down features are a pain. On many cameras, it can be disabled... but you have to check. It won't matter if you're doing a 'Start-And-Run-Away' before the LCO pushes the launch button.

Luck...

Back