Javelin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tooling to make very thin wall 5" CF tube and a nose cone close to this application. It was originally for a Walleye. I was going to cut off the tip of the NC and turn a clear plexy lens. The Javelin sound like fun. Count me in.IMG_8973.JPG

What are you all using for the nosecone?

Very simple to fabricate that style nosecone in any diameter tube. A balloon blown up inside the tube will give the right shape and then layer light weight fiberglass cut into triangles.

View attachment 507294
View attachment 507295
Papier-mâché could be used in pretty much the same exact way. Wood filler to smooth it out, epoxy or CA to harden it.

I will start working on the files this weekend. I will start with the nose cone.

I was looking at this project some more, and one thing that concerns me are the fins breaking off upon landing, particularly the lower fins. Moving the rear fins forward so the body tube hits the ground first might help, but detracts from the look.

I was thinking of trying to use say 1/8" balsa fins (using some of the very dense wood I have lying around), and then "papering" them with cardstock and epoxy (results in a strong fin that is rather heavy), but I would like to come up with an easy way to replace broken fins in the field. Think a couple of nylon screws attaching each fin at the base somehow, perhaps.

I would probably only be using up to Aerotech F engines as I am not level 1 certified.

I was looking at this project some more, and one thing that concerns me are the fins breaking off upon landing, particularly the lower fins. Moving the rear fins forward so the body tube hits the ground first might help, but detracts from the look.

I was thinking of trying to use say 1/8" balsa fins (using some of the very dense wood I have lying around), and then "papering" them with cardstock and epoxy (results in a strong fin that is rather heavy), but I would like to come up with an easy way to replace broken fins in the field. Think a couple of nylon screws attaching each fin at the base somehow, perhaps.

I would probably only be using up to Aerotech F engines as I am not level 1 certified.

(1) You could use rear ejection .

(2) You can fly up to "G" motors, without being certified Level 1.

Dave F.

Last edited:
A wiffle ball is 2-7/8" diameter... with a bit of ingenuity, you could make it work. And they are still made in America.

View attachment 521692
That is a good idea. I'd really like to have a clear hemispherical nosecone from say a security camera, but that won't be easy to source I bet.

This project for me is on the back burner, as I have two other mid-power rockets I am working on. :)

Back