Jasper Jig Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdud

Reaction score
I received a Jasper Jig for Christmas - but no plunge router. I really didn't specify to my family that they were a package deal. But, I love 'em anyway :D.

Has anyone ever used a Jasper Jig with a fixed base router? Seems like it might be unsafe and cause sloppy results, but I do have an older fixed base router (attached to a router table), and figured somebody out there had tried it before.

Thanks!

I really don`t think a fixed base is going to work for you.As well as perhaps being dangerous ,you will not have any control of the cut as opposed to slowly plunging the straight cutter into the wood and then rotating the router and jig around the object then releasing the bit out of the wood and stopping the motor.
Also depending on the collet and bit size (1/4 - 1/2 ) and the thickness of the wood being used ,several passes may want to be made instead of cutting the CR in one shot.

P

I really don`t think a fixed base is going to work for you.As well as perhaps being dangerous ,you will not have any control of the cut as opposed to slowly plunging the straight cutter into the wood and then rotating the router and jig around the object then releasing the bit out of the wood and stopping the motor.

P

I figured this would be the call. I've been pricing and comparing plunge routers. What kind of router do you have? Would 1 3/4 HP be enough for cutting CR's; or, should I go with a more powerful router?

I've used my Jasper jig with a 2 1/4 HP Freud plunge router and a 1 3/4 HP Milwaukee. Both work fine. I would not use a fixed base router. Home Depot sells a 2 HP Ryobi plunge router for $100. I have one, and it works fine, but I've never used it with the Jasper jig. Not fancy (doesn't come with a case, for example) but it seems to get the job done.
You'll need to pick up a good carbide 1/4" straight or spiral router bit as well. The upcut or downcut spirals produce cleaner cuts than the strait bits. Stay away from the cheap Ryobi bits. They dull pretty quickly and the edges of your CRs tend to get a little crispy:shock:

Bryan

Does anyone have a picture of one of these Jasper Jigs in use?

I see two kinds. One that looks like a rounded off rectangle and the other circular. Does the circular one replace the router base?

I figured this would be the call. I've been pricing and comparing plunge routers. What kind of router do you have? Would 1 3/4 HP be enough for cutting CR's; or, should I go with a more powerful router?

I`ve got a Porter Cable plunge ,fixed and a big Bosch plunge in my router table.1 3/4 HP would be plenty ,even smaller would be OK ,since you`re only going into 1/4" ply at the most for CRs ,but even thicker stock would be alright ,just take multiple passes if need.
I`m not sure if the jig replaces the routers base (most likely it does), but if this is the case ,make sure the router you purchase will match up with their base.It should tell you this on their web site.

P

Last edited:
Does anyone have a picture of one of these Jasper Jigs in use?

I see two kinds. One that looks like a rounded off rectangle and the other circular. Does the circular one replace the router base?

Either one works, and yes, it goes on in place of the acrylic base plate on the router.

They're universal, so there are mounting holes for all the various routers.

-Kevin

1 3/4 HP is plenty. We've cut rings from 3/4" x 1" to 3/4" x 24" with a 1 3/4HP Porter Cable, and it has worked quite nicely.

For thicker material, take your time.

We normally use a spiral bit, to help clear the material.

-Kevin

ROCDOC, What model # is your Milwaulkee Router? I'm looking at one on Amazon (Milwaukee 5615) that seems to be a pretty good buy, but Milwaulkee routers are not listed on the Jasper website as being compatible.

That's the one I have. The only issue I have with it is that it isn't variable speed. That is unlikely to be a problem since you are running small bits and they usually tolerate high speeds just fine. If you are planning on using the router for more than just circle cutting, you may be better off spending the money to get a variable speed router which will allow you to work with larger bits. As for fitting on the jig, I had no problem matching up the correct holes. Hope this helps.

Bryan

Back