Jan ROSCO Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Rocketry Organization of South Carolina at Orangeburg (ROSCO) is having its January Launch this weekend.... Jan 10th and 11th.....

The weather forecast looks like it will be normal January weather.....

I personally hope to get my LOC Expeditor launched on a Hybrid "J" motor!!!!!!...... I have to work saturday night, so I can't launch much the first day, but I plan on being there all of sunday.......

Sunday looks like the better weather but both days will be cold, highs under 40. The hybrids will be slow due to the low pressure of the N2O.

I'm planning a flight of my Ultimate Max (see 'Favorite rocket' thread) on a J330 airstarting 3 H123's and 3 I161's.

darn! if you'd posted that thursday or friday i'd have been there!

maybe you could add info for the next launch to the forum calandar? the only thing listed for JAN is three oaks and while they are a great bunch Michigan is too far to drive for a launch!:)

Originally posted by Adam Selene
darn! if you'd posted that thursday or friday i'd have been there!

Oh man, I am sorry....... I've never added our events to the calendar (I guess it's time to learn) The Feb launch will be Feb 7th and 8th....... Actually the Feb launch will be a good one to see, as I will be flying South Carolina's "The Tour de Deuce".......

I was unable to make saturday launch (in-laws can mess up the best plans!!!) but will be there on sunday...... I just hope my Hybrid guy will be there!!!!!!!..........

I'll be in florida in feb. but i'll be back in the carolinas for a good chunk of march april and may so please keep me posted!

seem's like the calendar is way under used, which is a shame. it could be a great resource.

Adam,

Where are you going to be in FL? There's a bunch of TRF'ers in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, and we'd love to have you come and launch with us!

Thanks,
Jason

Deerfield Beach, for the Florida Renaissance Festival. So I'll be working weekends! Doesn't give me much of a chance to go to organized launches. I'm hoping to go to KSC for the Feb 5th launch of an Atlas II (i think that's what it is)

Well, today we had the perfect weather (or at for January) for flying rockets.......... Totally clear and little or no wind....... The temp was in the mid-40s, but not too bad.......

First I need to say that I forgot my cheap digital camera at home, so I have no pictures...... I will post some here when Rocketjunkie uploads some to our website.......

We had a fair amount of flyers there today with a lot of good flights....... I didn't get to see all of them as I spend a lot of time prepping my own rockets......... I was unable to fly my LOC Expeditor on a hybrid, as the hybrid guy hurt has back and didn't set-up the ground support equipment..... (next month!!!)

I did pull my electronics sled out of the Expeditor and put it in my Electronics bay for my Aerotech Wart-hog........ I didn't actually do dual deployment, just used my RRC2 for altitude reporting....... The first flight for the Wart-hog was on a G40....... I mainly fly my Wart-hog on F motors, so this G kicked it into overdrive....... 1330' was what I got........ So, seeing how G40 worked, I decided to try a G80...... Another great flight, much quicker off the pad...... I was surprised at the results...... 1235'..... 95' lower than the G40 ......... I just looked on the Aerotech site and found that both have 120ns total impulse, the G40 has a 3 second burn time and the G80 has a 1.5 second burn time........ I might try a H128 next month.....

Next I prepped my deuce's wild, "Double Trouble" With 2 C6-5s it was another great flight....... I must say, that while it was coming back down, I was thinking about an upscale Deuce........ Maybe not a 38mm upscale, but maybe a 24mm version..... (oh, I heard someone talking about a 54mm version.........)

Then I put a F50-4T in my LOC Onyx........ This is just a fun little rocket...........

Then as our waiver was almost over, I got out another F50-4T and put it in my Sprint....... After a quick 5 count and a button push there was a nice big bang......... CATO!!!!! (first and only one of the day, just my luck)........ there is pretty good nice hole in the motor tube......... maybe 1" X 3"...... Don't know what I am going to do with it.........

With only 10 minutes left, I tried to get my Estes MK-109 ready with a C6-5, but the motor wouldn't fit....... I tried two different motors, same result....... Oh well......

So that is my report. Once again, sorry no pics....... Maybe Rocketjunie will add his .02...........

Rocketmaniac,

Great report, sorry about the one and only cato...You guys have a great field to fly from, us Alabama guys may have to make another run to SC for some EX flying again.

Too bad no pics, but rocketjunkie is always ready for the pics...

The video of the Nike Hercules staging is excellent, great photo and video work Rocketjunkie.

I really like the pics and vids, Tom! But no video of the Ultimate Max? :( How'd it fly?

Originally posted by marvSRG
But no video of the Ultimate Max? :( How'd it fly?

When I zoomed in as the rocket ascended, I found the focus was off :( It took off slower than expected (probably cold propellant) and the rest of the motors didn't light until after about 3 seconds. The flight was way downrange, only reaching 4774' and landing on a field beyond the trees to the east of the main field. No damage and all the motors burned.

When I zoomed in as the rocket ascended, I found the focus was off It took off slower than expected (probably cold propellant) and the rest of the motors didn't light until after about 3 seconds. The flight was way downrange, only reaching 4774' and landing on a field beyond the trees to the east of the main field. No damage and all the motors burned.

Cool. Too bad about the vid, but I'm sure the flight was still awesome! What'cha got planned for it next? I think I'm putting my Ultimate up in February on (1)G64 and (4)D12's airstarting (2)F20's. It'll be awesome!

Originally posted by marvSRG
What'cha got planned for it next?

That flight was only the third in 4 years - too expensive to fly often. Eventually I'll load it up again with I85's. (EX motors that fit the 38/720 case)

Back