James Webb Launch Date Set!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
I was quite intrigued by Lagrange Points when I first heard about them: 5 places in space where gravity from the Sun and Earth balance out, allowing a satellite to park.
The-five-Lagrangian-points-in-RTBP-Sun-Earth-system.png

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pucker factor indeed! It'll last, at least, until it enters L2 safely. There will be no servicing missions - at least manned - maybe an AI drone?!

Fingers crossed for a successful mission.

I sure have been jealous of "Jason"s recently! I like your tag line: "I consume RocketPoxy faster than E9's consume rockets." 🤣

cvanc

Reaction score
Jason if you can please tell us what your involvement is. And best wishes!

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a System Engineer, focusing primarily on the spacecraft and the sunshield.
My company has some actuators on the JWST. Got a peek at a bit of it in the high bay (from the enclosed balcony) while at NG a couple of years back. Glad it's finally going to be on its way.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Pucker factor indeed after two recent Vega rocket failures.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very, very cool! Here's hoping for a perfect trip to L2 and perfect deployment - not much recourse if things go sideways... boy, those mirrors, the perfection of that polish is unreal.

jmuck78

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
They have a sample mirror at NASA GSFC in the visitor center if you are in the area. Very nice. Isogrid backing for weight loss as well. I visited there a couple of years back.
We had one of those mirrors in the lobby of the building I worked at. The mirror faced the entry door to the building. At the time, I was coming in to work very early - while it was still dark outside - and I was half awake. The way the mirror is constructed, if you position yourself in the right place, it can look like it's projecting a reflection in front of the mirror. I walked in and saw a black dot about face height and instinctively ducked to avoid the spider that had dropped from the ceiling right in front of my face. I don't know if that happened to anyone else, but it happened twice to me.